Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My purpose is to give my wife a purpose.

She cooks -I eat

She cleans-I make dirty

She spends - I figure out how to pay for it

It seems like a daily routine
I thought this was hilarious! They sound like a good pair!
I'm sure she gets her digs in!
How long ya been married math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:05 PM

To be in fellowship with our "higher power" and be obedient to the plans that were laid out for us before the beginning of time.
(Trying so hard not to sound religious.)

Old 10-19-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Not dead yet but so far I am a talentless drone. If I work hard I can be better than average at anything I choose to try but I haven't found anything I am passionate about that I do better than anyone else. Darn it!

You never know. I may trip over some unknown ability tomorrow...or never.
I enjoy your posts! You contribute nicely!

Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
My daily purpose each day is not to annoy anyone.
I'd like to say that, but here on CD I tend to annoy most people when I post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
I don't really want to talk religion, don't partake of those discussions hence why I don't post there.
I did want to freely be able to answer the question. Seems fair enough. As others said, it is difficult to start this topic then set rules
of receiving only certain responses. You pretty much know what is coming, it's just being purposefully obtuse.

Anyhow I need to leave now to go for my morning walk

There's a difference between "religion" and "religious discussion". I'm sure you can talk about your purpose in life in regards to your religion. The OP probably means for people to not be so antagonistic with their purpose and religion that someone else feels the need to chime in (like I just did), because then this would end up as a religious discussion instead of a thread about the purpose in everyone's life.

See, your continued responses to other responses has now made this a religious discussion. Just tell us your purpose including how your religion relates to it and then drop it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My purpose, or goal rather, is to get through this life hurting as few people as possible and to atone for hurting the ones I did before I got some sense and compassion in my life. Sometimes it's difficult.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,557 times
My beloved wife just told me it is to make her life miserable.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:55 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Because it limits the topic to a secular point of view.
Her choice I suppose
Yes, it is.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Something I have always wondered about.... what is my purpose?
Whatever you deem it to be.

Your purpose can change over time as you set new personal and professional goals.

At age 76 I doubt you have any professional goals, but that does not bar you from having personal goals.

You can take college classes to learn things you're interested in knowing. You can take instructional classes in Tai Chi, Yoga, pottery-making, leather working, cooking classes or any other hobby that interests you. You can volunteer in your community. You can volunteer outside your community, if you want to travel to faraway lands.

You can make it your mission to help your children or grandchildren. You can sit at home on the couch and eat bon-bons and watch TV all day if that's what you want.

It doesn't much matter, so long as you derive some satisfaction.

If you're not satisfied, then you probably want to ask why that is, and take steps to fix it.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
This week, my purpose was to be a volunteer poll watcher and make sure no one is cheated out of their right to vote. It will be my purpose next week, too.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
Living life to the fullest, since I retired 2 years back. And making sure to spend my monthly pension check, after the wife and the bills get theirs lol

Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
who are you accusing of judging others? I see no one doing that.

Also, you don't need to be religious to forgive others. Try it
I believe the OP was simply asking people not to use her post as an opportunity to proselytize which you appear to want to do whether or not you even realize it. I don't find her comments as being judgemental at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement