Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times

Advertisements

I had thought about moving to arizonia,but when I spent some time out there I missed the 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
There are places in Arizona which have sort of four seasons, like Prescott.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There are places in Arizona which have sort of four seasons, like Prescott.
Ah,yes.. Flagstaff also,But moving to PA was the better deal for me.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I will be moving in about a year probably. As I am getting older I am not go to move too rural becasue of the poor medical in too rural areas. I saw enough of this with older people when I owned a rural place in the past.A medium size town with nice country nearby is what were I am moving;about 350 miles from where I presently live.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 AM

Thats good,where I moved everything is close by,I just retired at 49 but figured as I get older don't want stores or hospitals too far.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
It's been very intriguing to read about all the places to which people want to move and why.

We live in OR and are quite happy here. OUr kids are mostly up and out; we have one headed off to college next year, one in AZ in college and one married with a grandchild. I miss my kids and really wish we were closer to our grandson. Does that feeling pale in comparison with living in the perfect retirement place with a great climate? In a way, I hope so, lol!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I am still a ways from retirement, but have thought about Arizona (where I was born). Stayed in Globe, AZ for about 6 mos. on contract job and really enjoyed the area. It does get hot in summer, but is dry heat. And love the desert and mountains, is always sunny. Tucson and Phoenix 1 1/2 hr away for shopping. Another possible area is right here in Texas, maybe further west, San Angelo (where I grew up). But basically would like to be in a smaller city area with rural easy to get to, and land still cheap.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
I think there is something in the human psyche that just needs "change" every so often. Retirement is a new chapter for most people and offers an opportunity to experience that "change" without the concerns of jobs or schools or...whatever. I have lived in Arizona now for 23 years and will retire from law enforcement work in January. At that point I plan to move to the northwest. Why? Well.,..I need change!

I am so tired of dust and static electricity and cracked, dry skin and layer upon layer of browns and tans and muted, desert tones. I hate the heat (and I live up north near Prescott), I hate the constant threat of sunburn, always chapped lips, wilting plants and desert bugs. I was born in southern California, which was lovely in the 50's & 60's but is now a rat-pit. I have lived in the Sierras (Big Bear Lake) and really loved the seasons there, the snow, the colors, the trees...but cannot afford that area anymore. So...that leaves me with the northwest...I think...although I have considered the northeast as well (Maine and that area).

The thing about retirement is...it gives me some options. I will not be stuck here because of a job anymore. I should be able to buy a little place without any mortgage (although most of my carefully planned savings were eaten up by unexpected emergencies recently) and will have a couple thousand a month to live on. So I want to go and live in a place where I will enjoy my surroundings, revel in the changing seasons, delight in having wildlife around me. I want to throw away my alarm clock and my pantyhose and makeup...have the time to grow a vegetable garden... maybe write a book or begin painting again.

Anyone want to buy a nice house near Prescott, AZ?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Hey, you should work where I do- third shift in a psychiatric hospital. Nary pantyhose nor makeup to be found!
I look forward to simply not being at work all night. It's at most ten years away for me, less if I'm less prudent (or gain some cheaper tastes in travel. If travel is too cheap, add horseback riding!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement