Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 PM

6,283 posts, read 4,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Evenings it's the beautiful sunset or just the majestic of the mountains.

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

Sometimes I just feel so blessed.
I feel the same after surviving cancer and consider each day a blessing. We too thought about NM but decided on AZ and I am Astonished and humbled by the landscape and beauty of it. all the best to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,629,604 times
You just have to keep in mind...as long as you're alive, good and/or bad stuff happens. Some get more good, some get more bad. Some get the complete train wreck retirement, some get the blissful retirement ad type dream. I guess it helps if you at least try to prepare beforehand for all eventualities. BTW, I mostly have the train wreck type, but with some advantages like health care covered, my own health not very bad, etc. So as an example, although depression is a problem, it's being treated at least so it's under control. Now...if the normally dry & sunny area of Texas I live in could just keep the rain down to, say, no more than three days a week, that might help. In the last week, it's rained some every day except one. This has been going on to some extent for a month and a half, I think. Looking forward to less leaks and moldy air.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 AM

605 posts, read 334,227 times
Good for you! It's amazing how much difference moving can make. Hopefully you are not in too much pain anymore.

We are so much happier now since we've moved too. What many describe as a sense of community found in a 55+ apartment complex is what we've found in this small town of mostly, retirees. I call them retirees even though many are young retirees still owning businesses and working. Such a benefit to being around those who are financially independent because they can just pick up and leave when they want and are less stressed. Just pick up the phone and someone will run your business for you that night. The pre-retirees mostly work for the county or at the local restaurants & stores.

Since it's no longer about $$, they have the funds to do that

Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM

11,990 posts, read 8,324,035 times
I'd like to say something profound about lemons to lemonade but it isn't necessary. That's one of the luxuries of living many decades, I think. You get to see the truth of that old saw in action.

I depend on it and am always glad to see it confirmed in another's life.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,246,481 times
Quote:

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

There were a few times that I doubted you'd come down here. I'm glad you did and that you like it as much as I do! You're so very welcome!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,193,937 times
congratulations!

Cats are phenomenal companions. We have 2 and they just make everything better. I'd climb a burning building for them I swear. I encourage anyone , if you can take care of them, to go to your local shelter and adopt one or two.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 PM

4,850 posts, read 3,627,257 times
I will be retired for a year the end of December. Every day I revel on how wonderful retirement is, and just how busy I am. I am constantly doing something......

Glad you are feeling blessed. Being grateful is a good thing.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,257,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
There were a few times that I doubted you'd come down here. I'm glad you did and that you like it as much as I do! You're so very welcome!
I almost didn't. I had my heart set on Tennessee but, there were too many warnings about allergies &, along with the snow & dreary weather, my allergies were horrible. I didn't go anywhere without a Kleenex or three.

That's why I finally visited Arizona. Being able to breathe when I got here felt so wonderful. It still does. I still have allergies and probably always will but they are nothing like they were.

Being able to breathe counts for a lot.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 PM

6,507 posts, read 4,912,484 times
Meo, I'd love to hear where you looked in TN. I am looking at the eastern side. But I've never been as far southwest as AZ.

I can't wait to hear about your first winter! I'm in CT and we've had 2 frosts already

Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,797 times
Quote:

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

Congratulations on finding your happy place. From the way it sounds, you deserve that and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement