Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:39 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,595,616 times

Advertisements

Now, I KNOW that a coffee cup is not a valuable or important thing. But this week I discovered I'd lost one of my favorite coffee cups. Porcelain white beaded. Perfect size, perfect handle. In perfect shape. They've been discontinued.

I looked everywhere for the missing one. I scoured the kitchen thoroughly. When I couldn't find it, I looked in ridiculous places: the freezer, closets, drawers throughout the house. (I don't drive w/coffee cups or take them anywhere.)

Then my mind wandered to work men who had come to the home a couple of months ago. Could they have seen my cup sitting out and taken it? Then I came to my senses & realized how ridiculous that is.

I have no idea what I did with it. But I'm pretty sure that I did something weird w/it.

I guess I can look forward to this sort of thing happening more often, as I gradually lose my senses. I'm 66.

I've lost small or unnoticeable things before, when they dropped somewhere or I misplaced them (car keys, eyeglasses). But a 4" tall white cup is pretty noticeable. That's a first for me...to lose something that large & noticeable.

Anyone else losing noticeable things like this? I mean...a coffee cup?

(The good news is I can buy a replacement from a "discontinued dinnerware" website, or buy a new set of similar cups.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:51 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
It has been my experience that almost immediately after I purchase a replacement for something I have lost or misplaced, I find whatever it was I lost. Then I have 2 of them and never again lose either of them.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:05 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
The way to find something is to either replace it or stop looking for it.

Story: Two years ago in the cold dead of winter, I threw some bags of groceries into the car with my freezing bare hands and drove home. That night I noticed my engagement ring was gone. Went back to the store to see if anyone had found it and left my name and phone number in case anyone turned it in. I KNEW the ring must have slid off my finger and onto the parking lot. It wasn't in the car because I checked.

I must have spent a few days feeling really sad about it, even checked back at the grocery store again, finally gave up.

One morning I was getting dressed and there was my ring, on top of my dresser! Duh. It was near my jewelry box where I had been trying on rings. These objects have minds of their own and they will turn up when they feel like it. Please let us know when and where you find your coffee cup.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I blame everything I can’t find on some ghost. How else do you explain it?

Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,290,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I blame everything I can’t find on some ghost. How else do you explain it?
My step-kids blame Barney the Elf. Not only does Barney "steal" things, he also causes a lot trouble.

Cat

Old 01-27-2020, 02:56 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,118,232 times
A while ago I lost a winter glove and searched my car for it. Could not think where else I might have lost it.

The glove is black. The interior of my car is black. It was very frustrating. I moved the seat up and down, hoping it fell beneath.

About a week or so later as I was getting into my car there it was! Just sitting on the passenger side front seat. What the heck?
How does that happen.

Very glad I found it.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 PM

475 posts, read 318,774 times
There's something called the simulation hypothesis. The idea that the universe, including Earth is part of a computer simulation controlled by more advanced beings. A game as it were.
Maybe the "beings" get extra points for hiding things.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,224 times
I blame the cat.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
A while ago I lost a winter glove and searched my car for it. Could not think where else I might have lost it.

The glove is black. The interior of my car is black. It was very frustrating. I moved the seat up and down, hoping it fell beneath.

About a week or so later as I was getting into my car there it was! Just sitting on the passenger side front seat. What the heck?
How does that happen.

Very glad I found it.
Yes! What is it that takes stuff and puts it some place in the middle of the night?

(I will be following this thread closely, lol. Actually, I don't lose things very often but strange things happen like having things break all on the same day, things that are not related like a plate, a friend's car, the dog's collar, the tv, the handle on a rake.)

Old 01-27-2020, 03:19 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
I am still wondering what happened to my stroopwafels. I bought a bunch on ebay, put them in a bowl on the counter, then decided to put some away for later. Still haven't found them, and I do not have that big a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement