Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

. . . what personality or behavioral "disorder" do you think you might be diagnosed with?

It seems to me that more and more young kids are diagnosed with some kind of personality or behavioral label, so it makes me wonder what label, if any, you might have been saddled with.

With me, I think because I was so introverted and focused as a child, probably Social Anxiety Disorder and Depression, combined with possibly being put somewhere on the high-functioning Autism Spectrum.

You?

(Personally, though, I'm actually happy that people weren't so concerned with children being "different" 50 years ago!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 12:27 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Is being a smart aleck a disorder?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
probably social anxiety. I was a very anxious child. And shy.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
A kid in today's world? I shudder at the thought.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 PM

703 posts, read 612,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
. . . what personality or behavioral "disorder" do you think you might be diagnosed with?

It seems to me that more and more young kids are diagnosed with some kind of personality or behavioral label, so it makes me wonder what label, if any, you might have been saddled with.

With me, I think because I was so introverted and focused as a child, probably Social Anxiety Disorder and Depression, combined with possibly being put somewhere on the high-functioning Autism Spectrum.

You?

(Personally, though, I'm actually happy that people weren't so concerned with children being "different" 50 years ago!)
That's me too. I liked being off by myself and was not "a joiner." So today I would be "diagnosed" with Autism, depression, or simply be declared a dangerous anti-social potential mass murder like the Columbine guys. They always seem to be described as "unpopular loners."

Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
I have this condition called "Vehicular Tourette's Syndrome"

Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Hmmm... that's a great question! My grade school report cards consistently said that I was "a daydreamer" who did my work well but was usually staring out the window etc during class. But in my defense, I already knew how to read and write when I entered kindergarten and as a result I was just flat-out bored with what the teacher was doing! I mean, seriously, what was I supposed to do while the teacher was painfully trying to teach the rest of the class how to read and write? Or to diagram a sentence? There wasn't anything else I could do except stare out the window and/or twiddle my thumbs, lol.

I wasn't hyperactive (more like the reverse) and so I don't think I'd have been labeled with Attention Deficit Disorder but who knows. I did pay attention when the teachers were doing something new, but really, my issue with grade school was boredom. There was no such thing as an 'advanced' class in the lower grades. And I was so abysmal at math (barely squeaked by with a Pity 65, lol) that I certainly wasn't a candidate for any of the honors tracks.

In junior high and high school I was bullied unmercifully and so those years were a total nightmare but I don't know if I'd be diagnosed with anything as per today's world. I remember my mom talking to my 6th grade teacher, telling him how upset I was at the prospect of coming to school each day because "so many of the kids were always making fun of" me. The teacher's response was "Really? I'm surprised. She always takes it like water rolls off a duck's back." Well, that was because I knew I dare not give those kids the satisfaction of knowing how much it bothered me. So the next day the teacher gave a tepid little lecture about how people should always treat others the way they'd want to be treated, and not make others feel bad. Did absolutely zero, in fact it made things worse because the offending kids knew precisely what the teacher was referring to.

In high school I had three close friends who were "social outcasts" like myself. One was overweight and also her parents had given her a name tailor-made for kids cruelty; the other was painfully shy; and the third was a beautiful girl who was considered weird and different because she came from Latvia and had an accent and customs different from anyone else's. Our community was not diverse in the least, so anyone who was in any way different was easily spotted and made pretty much miserable.

I doubt I'd be called Depressed though, because I was only unhappy when I was in school and subjected to the bullying. Outside of school hours I thought life was fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,639 times
I would probably still be type II bipolar. The science behind most mental health diagnosis is pretty solid. There are cases where some doctors are a little quick to medicate, but there were a lot of overlooked kids in my youth who could probably function better if there had been early intervention.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Well, I am ADD as an adult and was very likely so as a child, back before ADHD was a "thing." I am/was the "dreamer" variety, always reading or lost somewhere in one of the stories in my head and not paying attention to what I was supposed to be doing. Not at all hyperactive. Got me in a ton of trouble. My ADD is mild, though, and didn't stop me from going to college and getting advanced degrees.

For the record, taking ADD medications made it easier to get through all those years of advanced chemistry, math and physics, but totally blotted out my creative side. I could write good reports but not good fiction. Once I was through school, I dropped the meds entirely.

Also I think the DSM is a bit more specific than some people are giving it credit for being - for instance, the diagnosis of autism isn't a casual thing, as in "oh, that kid talks too much and sometimes says inappropriate thing, he must be autistic."

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A kid in today's world? I shudder at the thought.

This was my first thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement