Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

I don't answer calls unless I know the number calling. When I don't answer, they rarely leave any kind of a message. I just got a call today from across the country which I didn't answer and no message left. I don't know what they wanted and I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:40 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
My FIL says this to anyone who wants some thing over the phone: " i don't do business over the phone, if you want to talk business, come to my house, and ill see what its about ".... CLICK.

Ive adopted the same. Kind of strategy.

I also stopped givibg my SS number in whole or in part on the phone talking to a legitimate company i deal with (say electric). They often say i have to go into the office then and its an inconvenience but i do it. And i have yet to have an office ask for id.

Ive gotten the "grandpa im in trouble " call...INTERESTING", I say. Why? Because i HAVE NO children, therefore, no grandchildren!!!! CLICK.

If you got money, soneone will try to take it away.

I guess congress is working on a bill at minimum to require the phone number read out where it actually is from and the correct number its coming from. I do hope they pass it soon!! Of course that only works with caller id. Which i would never be without, though both our fatyers refuse to get it.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:42 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't know if this is available nationally, but Cincinnati Bell has a free service.

Hit *99 and you get a prompt to have all callers hit 8 if not a telemarketer.

We did this 4 months ago and went from 20+ calls/day to a total of 2 calls in 4 months
Does that work with landlines?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
If I don't recognize the number, I just don't answer. If its legit, they will leave a message. If not, then they haven't wasted my time

Old 10-27-2018, 01:46 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Once in a while I'll answer. I can usually tell it's a bogus call and hang up before they finish the first sentence. If you engage them, you give out information. Something like saying" I don't even have a xyz card" is sharing too much. Sometimes I pick up but don't speak.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:41 AM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Guy called my mother in law and I picked up, tried saying my middle kid was in trouble in Canada. supposedly him and friends had a hotel bill they could not pay.
Next time, try this: "I am so glad you called... I am sure [insert your favorite deity here] will take care of my son. And let me tell you about [your favorite deity]. Have you welcomed Him into your life? He can be your Savior, etc etc etc..."

Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Nobody ever calls you on the phone or knocks at your front door to give you a good deal.

I'm not home. Ever.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have a voice mail today "You have four serious felonies against your record, the IRS military swat team is on the way to arrest you in a military prison van. You must call ……… in 5 minutes or face a serious law enforcement in home with guns.

I'm making waffles. Might put a pot of coffee on for the guys too.

There's also the one about failing to answer a jury duty summons.

[mod cut - rude to 50% of our members]

I want to know what the rude part was!

Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My FIL says this to anyone who wants some thing over the phone: " i don't do business over the phone, if you want to talk business, come to my house, and ill see what its about ".... CLICK.

Ive adopted the same. Kind of strategy
Inviting a random stranger to your house or giving the caller your address is not a smart idea. This isn’t 1935

Old 10-27-2018, 01:43 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The sad thing about all of this is the total incompetence of the Federal government in dealing with these types of scams and fraud. The "Do Not Call" list is just a joke or at least the Federal governments enforcement is a joke. I and all the friends I have mentioned this issue to can confirm a large barrage of scam calls regardless of the listing.

I guess I should not be surprised. The older I get, the more I realize the incompetence of the government.
What do you suggest the federal government should do? Short of shutting down all telephone networks, how can the federal government stop one person from calling another and attempting to scam them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement