Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times

Advertisements

There was a McDonalds near my office, they had the 4 senior ladies who did the cash register from around 11am-2pm.

Then some twenty something manager told them to do other "stuff" (clean the bathrooms, the lobby, the parking lot...) they told the owner hired them to front end, and that what they do. The manager insisted. So they all left. Leaving the store with no front end staff, and only one English speaking person.

Next day the manager was gone, and the four senior ladies were back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We received unwanted text message that AMAZON is hiring too. But when I go shopping at Macy’s, the senior there helped me, but the other employees there did a good job of avoiding us. So if I want to work as a senior, Macy’s would be the place.
Those Amazon texts are scammers...never answer them along with the phone calls. Amazon doesn't hire that way.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
I have noticed that Chick-Fil-A also uses seniors, especially as the hostesses going around to the tables refilling drinks and taking away trash. Also at the registers. Always so polite. That's why I love CFA.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a fast food place and had to wait for one the younger group to get off their phones so they could wait on me. I believe that phone use should not be allowed when you are on the floor, only at breaks or in a medical emergency. But never when you are supposed to be taking care of customers.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:20 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would love to work in a floral shop. I love flowers and did take a few flower arrangement class. It will be like playing. Plus part time is ideal.
Most shops in my area use part time designers. One older retired lady comes in once a week for 4 hours. Others do 2 or 3 mornings or afternoons a week.

Work up a brief resume and go around to your local shops and ask to speak to the owner. This is how you get acquainted and known in this niche community, at least in my area.

You may just want to be available for the holiday push on a casual as needed basis. That is how I started out as a driver 6 years ago.

Go for it!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:54 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In retail and fast food the main requirements are to be punctual and sober. The rest is secondary.
The article seems to hint that younger people are more socially awkward in person because of their laser focus on their electronics. I would like to add that single child households that a lot of them grew up in probably doesn't help with dealing with others, either.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Those Amazon texts are scammers...never answer them along with the phone calls. Amazon doesn't hire that way.
Good thing we deleted them. It came from a headhunter of some sort but I deleted them anyway. We’re retired, not interested in working.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
Most shops in my area use part time designers. One older retired lady comes in once a week for 4 hours. Others do 2 or 3 mornings or afternoons a week.

Work up a brief resume and go around to your local shops and ask to speak to the owner. This is how you get acquainted and known in this niche community, at least in my area.

You may just want to be available for the holiday push on a casual as needed basis. That is how I started out as a driver 6 years ago.

Go for it!
I did google my area and the flower shop we did use for our wedding was looking for part timers. Even though I thought I might want to do it for fun, I think I’m not going to apply. Resume is not in my vocabulary at the movement. It’s a good thought for about 5 minutes.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The article seems to hint that younger people are more socially awkward in person because of their laser focus on their electronics. I would like to add that single child households that a lot of them grew up in probably doesn't help with dealing with others, either.
Most kids are in pre-school at least part-time by the age of 3. That gives only children about 13 years of learning to deal with others by the time they take a fast-food job.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It used to vary by region and maybe still does. In the Boston area, fastfood workers tended more towards teenagers who did not appear to like their jobs. When I took trips to the southeast US, though, fastfood servers were older and seemed happier to have a job.

Fastforward several decades and into southwestern CO, and fastfood workers include plenty of both teenagers and seniors. A few don’t listen well (ask what I ordered immediately after I say it—sometimes twice—and then still geting the order wrong) but most are friendly and perfectly competent. I like the mix of ages, too.
Drive-thru people are multi-tasking though - taking an order maybe while also taking money and also doing the drinks. I would NOT want to deal with that craziness over a lunch rush that lasts maybe 3 hours!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:45 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
I am visiting a McD for this morning's coffee 8:30 am-11. Always a waiting line for ordering and receiving order. This store definitely needs more help. I am considering doing something part-time, 12-20hrs/wk, don't really need it, but may keep me off the internet and posting on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement