Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM

106,641 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I love BBQ too. That’s why we still eat meat, but the fact that we eat more vegs should outweight the bad. Never understand the whole vegan thing, why can’t people be moderate nowadays. Too many people with dogmatic belief when it comes to food.
We have a friend who is a vegan . When he comes over my wife cooks him a vegan meal in a pan that never touched meat .

When I go to his house you think he would cook me a nice steak in a pan that never touched a vegtable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Name one reliable source, please.

Consider some specifics. Which is great or harmful? Egg? Coffee? A glass or two of wine? Do even minimal research and you will soon enter never never land.

How about the common apple. It contains sugars and some fiber. Anything else or could you duplicate the nutritional value with a tablespoon of sugar and a chaw of newspaper? BTW, the apple contains virtually no essential vitamins or minerals.

Asparagus... pretty potent stuff especially when going #1. Is that potent stuff carcinogenic or do you know?

We all need vitamins and minerals, almost by definition. Any idea how the daily values on those labels are determined?

I could go on and on. Nutritional information is largely just conjecture.
Again, I am going to refer you to my post #171. The CSPI. They recommend only food as nutrition and debunk the claims of the so-called latest health-fads out there. The contributors are doctors, scientists, nutritionists and researchers. They have actually lobbied to get the false claims of some of the fake promises made by some of the companies that make supplements taken back off their labels. They are a true watchdog for the safety of people when it comes to food.

These people have scientific knowledge of the chemical makeup of food. They have a collective of many years of study behind them. This is not conjecture. If you want to preach that nutritional information is unknown, fine, that's your opinion. But you don't have the science degrees these experts have, the degrees to back up your claims and these people do. That's why I think you should look into this.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We have a friend who is a vegan . When he comes over my wife cooks him a vegan meal in a pan that never touched meat .

When I go to his house you think he would cook me a nice steak in a pan that never touched a vegtable
A lot of it is based on more than what is best from a health perspective. I quit eating our fellow mammals. It isn't just because they frolic/play and readily bond with humans but also because it isn't a sustainable way to feed everyone; the math for acreage and water used for each pound of protein is way out of whack compared to poultry and fish. I will put regular burgers on the grill and cook ham and bacon for others. I am not offended by their choices and I am not continually in people's faces about what drives me to make the choice I do, though I will defend it if it is challenged. I do know some vegans that feel strongly enough about it to insist on well separated cooking, but insisting on a pan that never touched meat is a new one to me.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM

most of his food in his refrig mimics mine . he has veggie meat balls , vegi tuna fish , vegi sausage , etc . geeesh for someone so anti meat he copies a lot of my food ha ha ha

Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So, again, I pull out the exercise bands and frustrate myself. Ten years ago I could have put in some effort and at least made it to near State championship level. I hate not being able to succeed because the body will not cooperate.
State championship level.. lol with rubber bands?

Old 11-18-2018, 02:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
A lot of it is based on more than what is best from a health perspective. I quit eating our fellow mammals. It isn't just because they frolic/play and readily bond with humans but also because it isn't a sustainable way to feed everyone; the math for acreage and water used for each pound of protein is way out of whack compared to poultry and fish. I will put regular burgers on the grill and cook ham and bacon for others. I am not offended by their choices and I am not continually in people's faces about what drives me to make the choice I do, though I will defend it if it is challenged. I do know some vegans that feel strongly enough about it to insist on well separated cooking, but insisting on a pan that never touched meat is a new one to me.
I keep politics out of my food. I saw this preaches at my local college. They must have done the same thing at my daughter’s colllege. There was a while, she ate lots of vegs, refused to eat a lot of meat. Dropped 40 lbs unnecessary. She’s now back to normal weight. What these preachings influence these young minds is unbelievable.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of his food in his refrig mimics mine . he has veggie meat balls , vegi tuna fish , vegi sausage . geeesh for someone so anyti meat he copies a lot of my food ha ha ha
I have been accused of the same thing after I quit eating mammals. I eat Turkey burgers, turkey bacon and turkey ham. Medium rare tuna steak (has to be good tuna) with a baked potato. Pulled chicken BBQ and chicken spaghetti. Veggie "meatballs" are pretty good. I eat a fair amount of vegetarian food to keep from having to make too many different things. A lot of Indian food over rice, with or without poultry.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:02 PM

i did it for two years . the problem was i really missed meat .

i tried a hamburger after not eating meat for about 18 months and it made me sick . i no longer had the bacteria's that break down meat properly . so it kept me good for a while longer .

but about 6 months later i tried a steak . game over . no illness .. i knew then man did not claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat rice and broccoli .

as the bumper sticker says " i love all of gods creatures , especially with gravy and mashed potatoes "

Old 11-18-2018, 03:27 PM

24,615 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Exercise, proper diet, and an overall good healthy lifestyle will be a lifelong journey. It doesn't matter if you're 16 or 100.

You only get one body in this world and you have to take care of it.

Does it suck that it "turns to mush" as soon as you stop going to the gym? Yes. It's one of the sad things in life: that muscle, cardio, strength earned is not muscle you can keep for free without continued maintenance.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I keep politics out of my food. I saw this preaches at my local college. They must have done the same thing at my daughter’s colllege. There was a while, she ate lots of vegs, refused to eat a lot of meat. Dropped 40 lbs unnecessary. She’s now back to normal weight. What these preachings influence these young minds is unbelievable.
I know a few overweight vegetarians; especially lacto/ovo vegetarians who eat a lot of cheese, often on top of pizza. I know a few overweight vegans also. You can pack it on with beans and rice, maybe some cobbler for dessert. I think mostly the younger generation is just more aware of things I wasn't and make their own decisions. It won't be my generation that will have to deal with it if the scientists are right about sustainability of providing meat the way we do it now. It could be they will get that "meat in a petri dish" process perfected or at least producing acceptable results.

Even I have my limits; no crickets for me...

Also, it isn't nearly as hard to justify pork as beef if sustainability because of land use is a concern. I think it is likely that rising prices will lower demand and impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement