Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times

Advertisements

Of course people understand, it's common knowledge that you have to move around or you turn into mush.

Yoga takes care of that for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM

221 posts, read 192,882 times
OP: You must realize how good you are before insulting others. Please clear up the Grassy Knoll stuff while you're at it.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those of you in your 50s or 60s probably will not understand. But maybe you should. I know I didn't at that age. I had the idea which was true that I could exert some effort and be strong and healthy. At 72 that has idea is fading. For the past several months I have been traveling and hiking on a frequent basis. Finally I have legs of steel. It took a long time to reach that point.

After months of traveling I will soon be returning home to a more sedentary lifestyle. Those legs of steel will soon turn to mush.

Today I walked for several miles on the sand flats at Death Valley. Then I went out and walked for miles more. As I said great, but mush will soon follow when I stop the daily miles of hiking. My upper body is already mush. The past few days I finally woke up and realized my upper body has turned to mush. I grabbed some exercise bands and tried and tried to overcome months without exercise. I am pissed and tried and tried again to make a difference. Sadly I know it would take months and months and months to make much of a difference. That made me even more pissed.

A few days ago, I was at artists palette in Death Valley. The typical visitor gets out of the car, looks at the scenery and departs in less than 3 minutes. Meanwhile just a few minutes of walking is rewarded with fantastic, surreal scenes that are unique and special. In addition to walking all of the canyons and trails, I spent time watching the visitors. Most visitors arrive at the overlook, take a cellphone snap and then departs within 3 minutes. A few visitors spent longer and may actually walk a few hundred yards. Most of those are foreign visitors.

So I ranted for a while, but I think there is a message here. Research shows the advantages of exercise. We need to exercise all of our muscles on a regular basis and that becomes more and more important as we age. In addition to that there seems to be something drastically wrong with our culture. People from other cultures seem to be less obese, have fewer "joint" issues and exercise more.
Enjoy that walking, I did. Now I have two knees that don't work anymore. It can happen to you too.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
I bet I could come close to guessing someone's age by the advise they give on this subject. Under 70 the advice is just go out and do it. Over about 70 it seems clear that doing it has little or no positive effect.
I would say the biggest benefit of exercise for the elderly is to stave off and slow the speed of further degeneration.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I bet I could come close to guessing someone's age by the advise they give on this subject. Under 70 the advice is just go out and do it. Over about 70 it seems clear that doing it has little or no positive effect.
From your earlier description it sounds like you hit a bump that many people hit in their '40's and '50's. You're talking anabolic steroids...sounds like you went through the male change of life. Women get that a couple decades earlier and very little sympathy. Yes, I know the exact reason why it's harder to hold the weight down...and I have less energy...and my doc offers great advice like "You're just getting older"!

So, big whoop - you can get on hormones for men which is largely what steroids are but I do hope you'll investigate all the issues that come along with that. And do tell us EXACTLY what you've been doing that hasn't been working - that would be instructive. It's easy to over-estimate your activity level and it sounds like you're just depressed that it isn't as easy as it once was - so welcome to the club.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:36 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yep, know the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
From your earlier description it sounds like you hit a bump that many people hit in their '40's and '50's. You're talking anabolic steroids...sounds like you went through the male change of life. Women get that a couple decades earlier and very little sympathy. Yes, I know the exact reason why it's harder to hold the weight down...and I have less energy...and my doc offers great advice like "You're just getting older"!

So, big whoop - you can get on hormones for men which is largely what steroids are but I do hope you'll investigate all the issues that come along with that. And do tell us EXACTLY what you've been doing that hasn't been working - that would be instructive. It's easy to over-estimate your activity level and it sounds like you're just depressed that it isn't as easy as it once was - so welcome to the club.
I don’t even care if I get any bigger anymore , I just want to stay off blood pressure meds and be able to eat cake

Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I swim almost everyday so my legs are pretty tone and my upper body has some muscle. But not muscular. No gym rat here. Just 30-45 minutes light swimming everyday. And badminton 2 days a week for eye/hand coordination. I plan to add more exercise routine. I think one has to be making more effort as one gets older.
While swimming is a very good exercise, it does nothing for bone health - something to which seniors should pay extra attention. For bone health, we need to stimulate the formation of osteoblasts. One of the best ways is through strength training and weight-bearing exercises.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Regarding building muscle mass for seniors:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...-after-age-60/

Quote:
“Our lab and others have shown repeatedly” that older muscles will grow and strengthen, says Marcas Bamman, the director of the UAB Center for Exercise Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. In his studies, men and women in their 60s and 70s who began supervised weight training developed muscles that were as large and strong as those of your average 40-year-old.
He goes on: "The key," he continues, "is regular and progressive weight training."

Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Enjoy that walking, I did. Now I have two knees that don't work anymore. It can happen to you too.
Sure can. 2 knee replacements and very weak despite still being able to walk. I'm sorry you cannot!
Hard to do weight-lifting when all the joints hurt. But good for all of you out there who are still able to! Some great exercise regimens listed here---kudos for retirees.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Exactly...and for how many minutes did/do you carry grocery bags in your typical week?

If you wish to increase strength and muscle mass you have to stress the muscles beyond what you typically do.
The same as how many times I did it at phys therapy lol but yes not daft, of course agree you need to take it further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement