Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times

Advertisements

Avoiding the daily commute was one of the reasons I retired. I had a job with long hours and lots of stress. I just could not handle 2 hours of commuting on the Long Island Expressway. When I first started, I had about a 20 minute commute each way. Then the business moved and the commute when to about 1 1/2 hours a day. Then the company was sold and my new job put me at 2 hours. Well 2 hours if.... I started well before 7 am and did not try to leave work before 6 pm, and it did not rain, or snow, and there were no major accidents......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Not having to commute in bad weather (and bad traffic) is a close second place finisher for me. First will always and forever be the elimination of the alarm clock from my mornings. Sleep, blissful sleep.
Same here. Used to get up so early to catch 1st train to DC. Winters were the worst, with the time change. I didn't so much mind driving in the morning when it was dark, but when the hour changed, then it was dark going home as well. Doubled chance of hitting deer.

Many times, I ended up driving to train station, only to find 30 minutes in that OPM gave unscheduled leave.
Got stuck with mechanical engine problems with train or disabled freight trains which either got me into work later and had to work past usual hours or take annual leave. Also, late gettin home many evenings. A few times, had to tell DH to eat withou me. One time, I remember, I didn't get home until around midnight. I put in my over 25 years and age requirements, so am glad ... Relieved that I don't have to do that anymore. I do feel bad for some of my more friendly fellow commuters when I hear of the headaches they're currently facing with the slow/non-existent service/s. Not sure I would care to repeat that in my 60's.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:28 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Wear what I want, do what I want when I want to, or not. Freedom.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 AM

96 posts, read 58,274 times
My business VP was a micromanager who hated the thought of his technical people "having fun". The daily meetings and constant progress reporting was so draining. At least the Technical VP was encouraging enough that I was able to complete my project to my satisfaction but even so it was a relief to be able to walk out that door and I sure don't miss that stress.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

I do sort of feel sorry for those who are still employed (and paying into SS), but I did my time and I DESERVE to enjoy this time.

And the people I feel sorry for are those that remained in a job for 30 give or take years for whatever reason and compare that work experience to doing time. I just can't even imagine why anyone would stay in such a miserable work environment for so many years, and when the do retire all they are left with is primarily unhappy memories of their working life that consumed many years worth of their time.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The #1 reason I'm glad to be retired is that on most days of the year I can choose what time of day or to do pretty much anything ... and most importantly, whether I feel like doing those things at all on any given day.

Because I am the Princess of Procrastination this state of affairs works out quite well.

What I am going to state here is a true story: In college, we had to do a term paper for a Psychology class. I was going to do my term paper on "Procrastination" but I never got around to it.

That sound like a joke I made up for laughs but it is actualy true. I kept delaying and delaying and delaying getting around to doing this "Procrastination" term paper and, with the due-date for the term paper getting closer and closer, I felt compelled to choose a more graspable, easier concept to do a term paper on than the subject of "procrastination". We could say that it became a self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e., with me stating "I was going to do a Psychology term paper on procrastination. I never got around to it.").

Old 11-17-2018, 07:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Wow! Looks like commuting is the #1 reason on most people’s list. It certainly is one of the highest in mine although the OP just asked for only one so that’s all I gave.

Understandable when you think of the stress and all that goes with it not to mention the time spent doing it.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I just can't even imagine why anyone would stay in such a miserable work environment for so many years, and when the do retire all they are left with is primarily unhappy memories of their working life that consumed many years worth of their time.

People stay for the pension and retiree health. . . . Not easy to find that these days.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
People stay for the pension and retiree health. . . . Not easy to find that these days.
Exactly. I stayed with the feds until six days past my 62nd birthday - extra 10% added to my pension for staying. I was bored to tears for the last 15 years at my govt job.

I consider myself very blessed to have a structured pension and social security.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
OP nailed it. Choosing to leave or not to leave the house at all. That and everyday is the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement