Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times

Advertisements

This is the first year that we will be alone. Our two youngest grew up and one moved to WA and then we moved back to TX leaving youngest in AZ. I am still doing a turkey - the smallest I could find, green bean bundles, and a savory green bean, mashed potatoes and gravy, Sister Shubert yeast rolls - and since we bought a house this year - the real estate company we used to find it is giving us a pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We're going to South America for Thanksgiving.

No, not really. Someone upthread mentioned Brazilian steak and it turned out that was something both of us had wanted to do for some time, only we'd never discussed it.

There are Brazilian steakhouses popping up all over here. I had a full roast turkey dinner at Harris Ranch yesterday so that'll do me, gobbler-wise. Brazilians fire-roast their meat and seafood. I've heard it's quite special.

We chose Fogo de Chão in Santana Row, an upscale mixed use development in San Jose. Fun place to walk around and window-shop.
We did this a couple of Thanksgivings ago. It was a memorable experience, but expensive.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:17 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
I'm 61, andI'll be by myself, all my extended family is out of town. So I'll watch football and eat a turkey tray dinner from Whole Foods. Sounds rather nice.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'm not quite retired yet (58) but single and an orphan with no family remaining so will be alone for the third straight year. I've been invited to join others but as someone who truly loves the tradition of cooking, afraid I would find it no where near as appealing. I ordered a small bird from Whole Foods (about 9-10 pounds) to roast and will make cornbread stuffing, a small green bean casserole, roasted potatoes with chanterelle mushrooms and gruyere cheese plus a cranberry confit. The process of preparation with the aroma of cooking is good for the soul I think and will have plenty of leftovers to freeze for later. I'll watch part of the Macy's parade and some football, and after dinner will take a long walk to settle the meal before coming back to hang with my cat and a glass of wine while watching some HGTV before bed.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not quite retired yet (58) but single and an orphan with no family remaining so will be alone for the third straight year. I've been invited to join others but as someone who truly loves the tradition of cooking, afraid I would find it no where near as appealing. I ordered a small bird from Whole Foods (about 9-10 pounds) to roast and will make cornbread stuffing, a small green bean casserole, roasted potatoes with chanterelle mushrooms and gruyere cheese plus a cranberry confit. The process of preparation with the aroma of cooking is good for the soul I think and will have plenty of leftovers to freeze for later. I'll watch part of the Macy's parade and some football, and after dinner will take a long walk to settle the meal before coming back to hang with my cat and a glass of wine while watching some HGTV before bed.

Sounds much like my planned day. Glad you are treating yourself to a very nice meal. I'll see a bit of the parade, watch football and hang with my cats too.

Alone but not lonely, cats are great company. And you are right, the aroma of cooking is good for us.
Have a pleasant day!

Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
That is absolutely breathtaking.
Couldn't rep you again, but thanks. That year I had moved sixty miles from where I lived previously to a place about fifteen minutes' drive to the ocean. I only knew one person in the vicinity. On New Year's Eve, I fell asleep in front of the TV early, but not before I heard the sunrise time, which was about quarter after 7. I woke up at 6:30, fed my four cats, and threw on my clothes and drove there in time to catch the sunrise.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 AM

18 posts, read 11,257 times
Just me and DH, spending the day with our 3 dogs and pet bird. Picking up a full course, hot, take out meal from Cracker Barrel. Having homemade pumpkin pie and a nice bottle of French wine. Looking forward to an enjoyable day, with limited fuss and mess. Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSusanp123 View Post
Just me and DH, spending the day with our 3 dogs and pet bird. Picking up a full course, hot, take out meal from Cracker Barrel. Having homemade pumpkin pie and a nice bottle of French wine. Looking forward to an enjoyable day, with limited fuss and mess. Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Sounds wonderful, no family strife Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We live far from the kids, except for one who is deployed now. His wife’s family will be at her house, so we’ll be here alone. We don’t mind. I’ll still make the usual suspects but on a smaller scale. We could dine out, but we love the leftovers.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
not retired yet and there is just the two of us . we hosted my son last year and the rest of the gang is in florida and ohio and none of them are traveling this year . we are not cooking we will go out for dinner and not have tons of left overs in the fridge and freezer it is ridiculous and I threw tons of food out last year and I wont do that again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement