Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:09 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

We moved away from my family in CA 5 years ago. Thanksgiving with the family meant approximately 25 family members at one of me and my 3 sibs homes. We rotated between the four homes and the two big holidays, but everyone pitched in on the food, so no one had to do all the work. I loved cooking with my brothers and the raucous conversations you end up with when you have 25 people of 3 or 4 generations spread out over three rooms and the patio. Unfortunately the last few years it had started to fracture into several smaller dinners as the younger generations want to start traditions of their own, and it gets harder for all to agree on a date with all the in-laws and out-laws having competing dinners.

When we moved here 5 years ago, we were invited to a neighbor couple's house for Thanksgiving dinner, along with 2 other couples, and sometimes, the neighbor's adult kids or brother when they are in town. We have continued that tradition, rotating between homes, until two years ago, one of the friends divorced and remarried a guy with adult kids who are local, so now it's always at the newly married people's house because it includes us 4 couples, the new guy's 2 adult kids, their spouses and 2 grand kids. It's nice because I only have to cook 2 things, and I don't have to clean the house before and after.

I miss my family at the holidays though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 07:27 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Yes, just the two of us. We'll go out to our usual place and spend way too much money but it's fun and we'll look forward to going back there again next year.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Gbh, not to be a fear monger, but check your ground turkey if you’re making that meatloaf. I’m sure you’ve seen about the huge recall of Jennie-O ground turkey.

I know, thanks! Mine is not Jenni-o but think I'll toss it....if I try cooking and eating it,

I'll just think of salmonella!!!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I know, thanks! Mine is not Jenni-o but think I'll toss it....if I try cooking and eating it,

I'll just think of salmonella!!!

GBH: You may have heard this on the news, too. The "expert" said if we cook the turkey fully the meat will be safe to eat. The heat of cooking kills the salmonella.

I'm only repeating what I've heard.

Good luck!!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You didn't make them feel bad any more than you made me feel bad. It's a reaction to what might be termed a Thread Nazi. One who irrationally gets upset if a thread does not follow their narrow version of "The Subject" of a thread.

It really gets old.

You're fine.

I have the attitude that when I start a thread it can go wherever it wants and I let it. Some of the most interesting threads I've started and been involved in go off on tangents.

It makes them more interesting.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving more to Tek_Freek." So here it is, for saying perfectly what I was just about to type.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
We(wife and I) will go to the Gulf coast for a few days. Thanksgiving dinner will be at Cracker Barrel restaurant. They have a special that is generally good. After that we will eat seafood every day, except one day we will have a What A Burger. I can hardly wait.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Often in the past we just went out to dinner on T-Day, perfectly nice if not traditional.

This year we are joining others at someone’s home. Either way, it’s good.

There were a few years when I was single and ate at home. Yes, it felt a bit lonely but not a big deal. If I had simply asked a few other single neighbors (those whom I had already met) over for dinner, that would have been another way to celebrate.

A bus driver told me that he and a couple of regular riders, all single without family near, had been lamenting this when one of them suggested making their own little “family” celebration. Each one of them helped cook, and they all had a great day together. I thought it was a wonderful way to lift their spirits, taking a little initiative and creating something more than the ingredients.

Last edited by pikabike; 11-18-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I am having Thanksgiving with just my S.O.

My daughter is going to her boyfriend's, and my mother will be at the home of one of my sisters, and I wanted to be here.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:23 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,361,673 times
I'm retired (and single) and will be having thanksgiving dinner with my mother and brother. My daughter will join us if she isn't working (and if she is working, I'll make her a plate). We're not going traditional, our dinner will be Arroz con Pollo.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
My daughter and I will make a Thanksgiving dinner at my house. We enjoy cooking and have a good time with it. Some of it is experimental. We have gone out to restaurants a few times but we really like doing it ourselves. Neither of us is keen on turkey but we will try a turkey breast this year for a change. The closest relatives live about 1,000 miles east so we are mostly on our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement