Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The pit/lab mix I had put down yesterday was 22 years old. I had her for seventeen years and I'm still looking around to find her. Then I remember.
Sorry to hear that.

At least it wasnt the day before a holiday. We put cuddles to sleep tge day before Thanksgiving. Not much ti be thankful last year.

Of course, mother's day is coming.

We had a cat die on mother's day, broke my mother's heart. We had to take him to the vet as he had urinary blockage , but on Sunday, mother's day that year, the vet called to say he was gone, and what did we want to do?

Im still looking fir my cuddles. He is sorely missed. He got his name from the fact that he always liked to cuddle.

His replacement, Alex, is NOT a cuddler. He'll come say good night and get pettums, but then goes off somewhere else to sleep, he won't curl up with us.

Hes a terror on wheels and into everything. He thinks everything is a toy. Hes very smart, but we thibk he purposely hides his toys so he can get into our stuff. If a toy is out, he'll bring it to bed to chase around on the bed ubtul we take it away and hide it til morning.

I DO think this will be the last cat we have. Since hes not the cuddler that cuddles was, he wont be missed quite as much, at least not by me.

My OH brought cuddles home, but cuddles quickly adopted me, making me his human. My OH had his "sister" who was devoted to my OH, so i think cuddles adopted me since my OH was "taken ".

Condolences to all who have lost.

Keep your stories coming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 03:23 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
My dog Hobbes!! 16 years old. Had to put him down, he had diabetes was blind and had a stroke. miss him still
Attached Thumbnails
What the oldest household pet you've ever had?-20160911_145546.jpg  

Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
My dog Hobbes!! 16 years old. Had to put him down, he had diabetes was blind and had a stroke. miss him still
He looks so happy there. I had a Diabetic cat, which is more challenging than a dog to regulate. It was rough. Difficult w/ diabetes, more cardiovascular problems and blindness, too, can be a result. Sad. Wish you the best.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
A cat who made it to 20 and died of kidney failure (2001).

I had 2 of my 3 dogs put down on October 17. One had cancer, age 13. The other had strokes and was age 17.5 years old.

I have lost 7 dogs in 7 years. 5 were rescues, 2 from a breeder as pups. A predator took one, cancer took 2, heart failure took 3, epilepsy took one.

Have one 12 year old left and I just rescued a wonderful senior dog, also age 12. And the cycle of love and life continues. Planning to add a pup next year.

Death is a part of life. We are all gonna go sometime. My joy in life is rescuing. and adopting dogs and loving them into happiness and wholenses. They bring so much love and joy into my life. I will never stop loving and living with dogs. They give far more than they take away when they pass.
Lost my rescued senior dog today after giving him 6 months of love. His heart just stopped.

Rescued a pup dropped on the highway and estimate he is 3 months old now.

Still have a 13 year rescue. She is the Queen.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hi Galaxy --

Sorry to hear your Cuddles is under the weather. We have a Senior cat in our family too, who is, we guess-ti-mate, about 18. We had to take our kitty to the Vet a week ago Friday, and she gave him an antibiotic shot and eye drops, and he is doing a little better, altho he had a couple bad days.

We are hoping he perks up, as we certainly would love to have him around longer.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times
adopted Saffy whe she was 11. Had her for about 2 years.

RIP you silly ol' dog.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM

141 posts, read 209,008 times
Such a heart breaking thread this is. So very sorry for everyone's losses. Except perhaps that pet rock /runs and hides :P

My husband and I recently had our nearly 18 year old cat Casper pass after several years of illness. We didn't have him since kittenhood; we adopted him at over 8 years old so we always knew him as an older cat.

He'd been dealing with kidney disease primarily which while not painful is a slow and eventual decline to death as there is no cure. He developed other issues as time marched on which complicated things as each made it touch to treat the other; hyperthyroid and had masses in his intestinal tract. He even had diabetes at one point brought on by a steroid injection but thankfully he recovered from it (cats fyi are I believe the only animal that can recover from diabetes spontaneously on their own at times, particularly if brought on by other reasons and when they get it as older cats).

But again, overall he was in good spirits and no pain (we worked very close with his vet for years). We really thought he would make it to his 18th, but alas, at 17 years, 9 months to the day we made the difficult decision to release him from earth when he 2 days prior suddenly began to have small seizures and stopped eating. We knew this was clearly not good and our vet agreed and so, the morning of 2/3 when our usually affable and happy boy didn't even greet us or make eye contact as we came down the stairs, we knew it was time.

Our other cat Cocoabean, is around 10-11 now and we hope she'll be with us for a while. We intend on having cats with us as we age, we enjoy them far too much but it certainly is rough watching them decline.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:33 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
My mom has a Silky that’s about 20 years old...and it’s as mean as a snake! Lol She will let my brother pet her... (she even comes up to him with wagging tail) and then she’ll bite him.... mid pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement