Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times

Advertisements

I have had a couple small rescue dogs who only lived to 14, but one of the vets I took one of them to told me he had a client, a grad school at the local university, who had a Miniature Schnauzer who was 23. He said he wouldn't have believed it except the guy had picture of himself as a 6-month-old baby sitting on a baby blanket with the puppy next to him. He said the dog could no longer hear or see, but it seemed to enjoy life, wagged its tail when its owner petted him, and had a decent appetite.

The barn where I take riding lessons has a 40-year-old Arabian gelding. I think he can qualify as a "pet" since he obviously isn't ridden anymore, but he hangs out where he can see other horses. I groomed him a few weeks ago; the poor guy has arthritis and fell against me and slammed me into a stall door when I was picking one of his rear hooves. I wasn't hurt at all, but I was frightened that he was going to fall down, because I'm not sure he lies down anymore and can get himself back on his feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 09:43 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
My Kitty B lived to be 19. I found her cold and hungry in a barn where I went horse back riding in high school. There were three kittens. She didn't have her eyes open yet and I guess she was about three weeks old. There was another litter of 4 there also without a mother but they were about a week old. I brought them all home. My Kitty B and her brother were the only ones that survived. I raised her from weeks old and she slept with me with her paws around my neck and under the covers for 19 years. She was my living Teddy Bear. We had an amazing bond.

I lost her for three days when someone tried to break into my apartment in Elgin Illinois. Someone opened my back window and was met by a big Doberman with big teeth. She got out and looked for her for three days. She heard my voice as I was going to my car and came out from under a porch. Unfortunately, I met my ex husband when I was out looking for her. We moved to California and I lost her once again the night before I was moving myself back to Illinois. I wasn't leaving California with out her and I found her around midnight hiding in some bushes.
The day she died from bone cancer I was working the night shift. I felt her call me as I left the building. I found her under a table barely able to move. She died in my arms on December 12th twenty plus years ago. I still think of her on that day.

I know exactly how you feel galaxyhi. I lost Princess Amber a day before her 16th birthday about 4 years ago and my precious boy Howie last March 16th. He was only 11, but I guess it doesn't matter how long you have, it's never enough.
The flip side of the grief is the joy they give you for over a decade. I know you can't see past the grief right now and it's way too soon to think about having another pet. Give yourself some time but think about all of the unfortunate animals in shelters now that will be destroyed because not enough people want to take them.

I'm looking at our ginormous cat Monsoon sleeping all cozy on the guest bed. He's our third cat together and Joe our Yorkie is our fourth dog together. I guess I just can't breathe without a pet, and every one of them have been rescues except for my Doberman.

I sending you a big cyber hug and my heart breaks for you. Losing a pet is catastrophic.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
OP here.

As i read these in the middle of the night through tears fir you all, hes resting but again slightly unresponsive.
Weve got the heating pad for him, he likes to snuggle it as much as me. I got up to use the facilities again.

I think tomorrow will be a black day for my OH, who already said " if he passes, i wont be going to celebrate Thanksgiving ( with "family ")". I said he'd want you to go celebrate, much like your mother ( my mil) would have. OH said "this is different, i had a chance to mourn mom before she passed" ( due to illness and age).

I tried to say that " to everything there is a season"( a time to live, a time to die, a time to mourn...youall remember that song). And perhaps this is the last season for our little man. And that there is never a "good day" for someone you love to die, at a holiday or not.

So, it will be with heavy hearts this holiday of Thanksgiving will come, with one less thing to be thankful for.

Keep your stories coming. Even though the tears, im enjoying your tales ( or is that "tails"??? Lol)

Lol one thing i wont miss is the fact that even though i had just fed him, when i got busy in the kitchen, hed be in there, getting in the way, and being underfoot and often stepped on ( accidentally of course).
I always joked we should have named him "Spot" so we could say " OUT, out damn Spot" a la Shakespeare!!
But then again i will miss it. i already have. I have gotten used to hearing his claws clinking on the hard laminate behind me, but i turn and hes not been there, just house noises i guess. Last evening, i did turn and he was there. It made me happy to see him. I got him some fresh food, and put it down right in front of him ( he usually gets fed in the other room). And some water. He only licked the juices, and took two feeble bites and only about 3 laps of water. But i was, for now, happy he attempted. For once, he got eat in the kitchen. Where our food comes from.

Yup tomorrow will probably be a black letter day.

My FIL has inherited a cat apparently, and hes in failing health himself at 90. I think we will inherit his cat too. D9nt know if that will be good or bad.

Thanks for your concerns and keep your stories coming!!

Old 11-20-2018, 12:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
By this thread it certainly seems that 20 years for a cat is a darned good life and our Sylvester was no exception. He lived just a few months past the Big Two-Oh and passed due to kidney failure many years ago.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
We lost 3 of our pets within two years. Our youngest son grew up with them all and they were all shelter adoptees. Sasha was an 18 year old Russian Blue kitty (kidney failure). Then we lost Tigger, a 15 year old cockapoo schnauzer (tumors). Then it was Gucci a 16 year old Torti kitty (brain tumor). I think it is hardest when you lose your childhood pets. My heart goes out to you, OP.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:48 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Be thankful for the love and life you had together! I knew when I lost my 2 last month that letting them go would alleviate their suffering and that they had had a wonderful life with our family.

Yes it is hard to say good-bye for now. But take heart, celebrate the gift of your life together, and if your heart is open to it, consider rescuing another dog that needs your love and needs to heal from heartbreak like you do.

There are so many out there that need you to offer them what your baby enjoyed with you all those years.

My 12 year old shelter dog that I rescued last Saturday has brought so much joy and love into my home. He is already blossoming in so many ways. It is very healing for me to give him a new life but I am not sure who rescued who!

Keep your heart open to what could happen and prayers and thoughts your way for strength and peace as you deal with coming loss.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:59 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
It was that damn box turtle, Snappie.

Wife bought it for the daughter's 8th birthday. Daughter grew up, finished grad school, got married, has 2 kids...

That turtle is still kickin' but there was no easy way to ship it to San Fran.

So wife gave it to a pet store...My guess is that Snappie has a new 8th grader to amuse.

Turtles can last 40 years or longer https://animals.mom.me/turtles-torto...long-3134.html

Old 11-20-2018, 04:09 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I adopt senior black labs and one of them, Zack, I got when he had just turned 12. He was with me for just over 3 years, making it past 15, which is pretty good for such a large guy at 95 pounds.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
We lost our 11 year old Shizu/Poodle dog about a month ago to cancer. Man was it hard putting him down.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
We have a 20 year old cat that we've had since she was only 1-2 weeks old (we found her as a stray). Also about 5 pounds. Back legs stiff with arthritis. She has been on meds for the past few years for hyperthyroidism but we've made the decision NOT to renew her meds this time around and see what happens. She has access to food and water 24 hours a day, and we keep her quarantined upstairs so that she doesn't accidently fall down the stairs because of her back legs being so weak. She is able to jump on our bed half the time - the other half she makes the attempt and misses. She refuses to use the ramp we got her to get on the bed.

Every year we think, "she won't make it much longer," and a year goes by and she's still with us. I suspect now that we've made the decision not to renew her meds, that she will only be with us a few months more. My DH (who is not good with letting pets go), made the "no more meds" decision, I think, in preparation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement