Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:37 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that women are still focused on finding a man yet talk the big feminist talk about independence blah blah blah. What a crock.
First of all one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Let me spell it out for you. Being a feminist has nothing to do with either having or not having a relationship. Second of all, pay attention. Many women here have stated they are not looking for a relationship to make them happy. Third of all, what century are you living in? Men can be Feminsts, many are. It’s a matter of believing in the equality of men and women, not the rejection of men or relationships with them.

feminism noun
fem·​i·​nism | \ˈfe-mə-ˌni-zəm \
Definition of feminism
1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
What is happiness anyway? My husband, ten years older than me, eaten up with OCD, PTSD and bitterness. He has high blood pressure, other physical issues.

Today I was lambasted for not filling up the dog's water bowl to the brim. I was about a cup short. So he's not talking to me.

This is what I deal with. To divorce is not the answer. So I deal with him and his moods.

I do, however, pray to God to give me just ONE day longer on this earth than him. So I can have one day of peace in my life, just one day.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
What is happiness anyway? My husband, ten years older than me, eaten up with OCD, PTSD and bitterness. He has high blood pressure, other physical issues.

Today I was lambasted for not filling up the dog's water bowl to the brim. I was about a cup short. So he's not talking to me.

This is what I deal with. To divorce is not the answer. So I deal with him and his moods.

I do, however, pray to God to give me just ONE day longer on this earth than him. So I can have one day of peace in my life, just one day.
Why is divorce not the answer?

He will be fine without you. They always find a way to carry on.

Be happy now!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
"put up with," "get nothing out of it"? I don't understand; it sounds like she's a burden to you. I hope you get *something* out of it; otherwise, why be in the relationship?
"Get nothing out of it" may be too strong. She's at least able to walk short distances now. We can go out to eat and not need a wheelchair. We've had a lot of fun together this year, but I am, literally, doing all the work. When you're driving someone around, having to pick them up/take them, rolling them in a wheelchair, having to do all the planning, paying for absolutely everything, etc., it gets exhausting.

She wanted to go to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville desperately back over the summer. I had to call around several hotels to find one I felt confident could accommodate a person in a wheelchair that also had a handicap shower. I had to help her get in/out of the shower, position the shower bench, help her with the handicap shower head, etc.

We were only gone for two days and I walked over eight miles in those two days - mostly pushing a wheelchair. By the time I came home, my muscles ached all over. I felt like I had been through a grueling workout.

Did I have a good time? Yes, but I also worked my rear off.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
"Get nothing out of it" may be too strong. She's at least able to walk short distances now. We can go out to eat and not need a wheelchair. We've had a lot of fun together this year, but I am, literally, doing all the work. When you're driving someone around, having to pick them up/take them, rolling them in a wheelchair, having to do all the planning, paying for absolutely everything, etc., it gets exhausting.

She wanted to go to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville desperately back over the summer. I had to call around several hotels to find one I felt confident could accommodate a person in a wheelchair that also had a handicap shower. I had to help her get in/out of the shower, position the shower bench, help her with the handicap shower head, etc.

We were only gone for two days and I walked over eight miles in those two days - mostly pushing a wheelchair. By the time I came home, my muscles ached all over. I felt like I had been through a grueling workout.

Did I have a good time? Yes, but I also worked my rear off.
It’s good for you. The exercise I mean.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I can't rep you again, so I'll have to give you a thumbs up, instead. Love this!
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:30 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Reading through the comments on this thread .....

I would tell people you only get one life. It's OK to be a little selfish with it. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Do I hate my life? No. Do I like her, love her even? Yes. You can love someone without necessarily wanting to tear their clothes off. She has medical issues that make the physical aspect difficult, but I wouldn't put up with all I do if I didn't care for her. Heaven knows I get nothing out of it.
You can love someone and not necessarily want to tear their clothes off. But if you are seriously "in love" with someone (in my experience) you would want to feel like tearing their clothes off as often as possible. I don't believe your relationship can possibly last.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s good for you. The exercise I mean.
Yes - 8 miles of walking is great!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:48 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why is divorce not the answer?

He will be fine without you. They always find a way to carry on.

Be happy now!
It is just not. Lots of issues. I've tried, believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement