Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Vicky, So sorry you are going through all this. I know, for myself, last Christmas was terrible for me. It was the first Christmas after my son died and I quit going to the Senior Center because I couldn't stand hearing other people's excitement about seeing their kids. I'm much better this year but that first year of loss, whether it's your child or your mother, is really tough.

Then there's the issue of Bobby. Are there any Alzheimer support groups near you? It's sometimes very helpful to just be able to vent and/or talk with others going through the same thing.

When my son was diagnosed as bipolar I found a group of other parents going through the same thing. It was very helpful, just to be able to talk with others going through the same thing.

I'm glad you were/are able to express your feelings here. It's not the same as one on one but hopefully you will get some ideas on how to cope or at least know we care and are here for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Vicky you are going through things that no pill will help. I have a friend who's husband had prostate cancer in his early 40's. It was an aggressive form but he survived that. He developed leukemia and there was talk of a bone marrow transplant. He was in upper management and the sole bread winner when he lost his job. They also had two children in college and a teenager in high school. Their marriage was over a decade ago, but they are codependents now. She doesn't want to work despite the fact that she needs a job with medical insurance. He needs her at home because he now has tumors on the bottom of his feet from the many rounds of chemo. Is she depressed? Of course. Are her depression meds helping her? Nope. It's the situation, not a chemical imbalance. Change the situation, change the mood. How do you do that with situations that can't be changed? Well you can't.

I told my friend to stop staying home and dying alongside her husband. I convinced her to go out and get her feet wet with a part time job. She took my advice and it made her happy to be around different people and interacting with life again. If you can, do something for yourself that makes you happy every day.

I had a glimpse of what depression was like when I broke my arm and shattered my wrist last May. I took 120 Oxycodone in two months. I went into a chemical depression from them, and at my lowest, I was wishing for death. It was horrendous. Somewhere deep down inside was this spark of hope telling me that this too will change. Your life will change again vicky. Just hold on to that tiny spark and blow on it if it starts to get dim. You will be content again. I have another friend that lost a son to suicide when he was in his 20's. He never talked about it, he just did it. We lost a friend to suicide 5 years ago. I saw it coming but I couldn't stop it. I have another friend who just lost a son to an overdose. I hope your son finds a better way to cope with his demons.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I never suffered from depression during my working years. I sure as heck don't suffer from it during my retired years. I consider retirement to be a wonderful experience.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
The only way I could see depression as being a stage of retirement would be if someone were unable to decompress from the routine of working.

I would call it a stage of retirement for some but not for all.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Vicky: You probably should call your doctor to discuss this antidepressant you are on. It doesn't sound like it's doing what it should be doing. You may need a change to a different drug that will help you more. Every drug affects people in different ways. There is probably another antidepressant that will help more.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Thank you all, for what you have written, and mstly for bothering to respond. There are few things that feel better than feeling others care. I am already on antidepressants. I think that I will call tommorrow for some therapy. I will follow all advice given. I have actually been sliding down for awhile now, but it hit so strong today. I think what really set me off today, was because when Bobby thought the video of a 3 year old girl was his infant great grand daughter, I realized that I can't just pretend to myself that Bobby is really doing okay, he is just getting old and has been misdiagnosed. There have actually been other things as big or bigger, but when he mistook a toddler for a newborn, the cocoon of denial just burst open.

So, all of this has been going on long enough for you to be on antidepressants, multiple suicide attempts by son, husband with progressing dementia and a child being raped over and over .... And therapy is just now occurring to you? Or maybe it is after being suggested many times in all the replies on here.

Really? Makes me wonder.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
so, all of this has been going on long enough for you to be on antidepressants, multiple suicide attempts by son, husband with progressing dementia and a child being raped over and over ....

And therapy is just now occurring to you? Or maybe it is after being suggested many times in all the replies on here.

Really? Makes me wonder.

not helpful.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
not helpful.

I think what is not helpful is not asking questions. How did this go on for so long? Didn't any friends or relatives encouraged therapy? and on and on.

I think being empathetic can only go so far and then there is reality.

"Helpful" runs the gamut. Just because it doesn't suite your sensibilities doesn't mean it is not helpful.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Thank you all, for what you have written, and mstly for bothering to respond. There are few things that feel better than feeling others care. I am already on antidepressants. I think that I will call tommorrow for some therapy. I will follow all advice given. I have actually been sliding down for awhile now, but it hit so strong today. I think what really set me off today, was because when Bobby thought the video of a 3 year old girl was his infant great grand daughter, I realized that I can't just pretend to myself that Bobby is really doing okay, he is just getting old and has been misdiagnosed. There have actually been other things as big or bigger, but when he mistook a toddler for a newborn, the cocoon of denial just burst open.
Look into respite care. As a caretaker, having someone come in to take care of the people you take care of can allow you some time away, even a few hours a week will be restorative.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So, all of this has been going on long enough for you to be on antidepressants, multiple suicide attempts by son, husband with progressing dementia and a child being raped over and over .... And therapy is just now occurring to you? Or maybe it is after being suggested many times in all the replies on here.

Really? Makes me wonder.

I can see you are a person of great compassion.......NOT!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement