Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah that area to me has the best climate in the USA outside of California and the best climate of any low/reasonable cost area in the USA in my opinion. I fight SADD every winter and I also hate hot humidity of the Southeast USA. Our current plan is to continue living in the PNW for most of the year and winter in Phoenix area and the cheaper Plan B is to move to the Sierra Vista area year round after I retire in a few months.

I hope you love the Sierra Vista area as much as I do. I think the climate is wonderful I do find a few prices on some things higher than they were back in Indiana, but overall the prices are great. One thing I do miss are the Midwest omelets. Flat eggs with the ingredients rolled into the middle is not an omelet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That sounds like a good plan. If I didn't currently already live in the desert southwest, I probably would be considering it. I've been here almost all my life and need a change. I want to see rain more than 3-4 times a year. I want to see green, not brown and hardwood trees which lose their leaves in the fall, not just pines on a mountain. I'm tired of my skin being cracked and dry from lack of moisture, LOL.

Our apartment complex has a lot of trees that change color and shed their leaves. In fact, the last of the leaves on one tree flew off yesterday. There's also a wide variety of trees in SV, but you sound like you'd be more comfortable in an area such as Bisbee which is very green.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I'm currently in a small town where I've lived for decades where everybody knows everybody and also everything about everybody.

I can't decide if leaving that will be a good thing or a bad thing! Knowing no one will definitely be a change.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What's that about no dogs allowed? Why would you have a dog if he was always outside -- by himself -- away from you -- all the time? I guess that's why you don't have one; you don't consider them as pets like many of us do. My mini poodle lives WITH me IN the house. He loves going for walks and to the dog park when it snows. All the dogs love the snow. I live in VT.

I imagine your son will visit less and less. If you are far enough away that he has to make an overnight stay of it, it will become a hassle for him. Hope you don't develop any ongoing need for medical services.

Added: sorry about my tone but that bit about the dog just hit me wrong. And you have listed a lot of negatives in spite of loving where you are.
I consider them pets just fine but have no intention of having animals in the house. And if we did get dogs, they would be TWO larger dogs. I would not get just one for fear it would be lonely. Not much of a dog walker so would need dogs who like to run beside the bicycle. But again, cannot have outside dogs here so that is out of the question

Our son is single, in his twenties, so he can easily come up to visit one weekend a month. It won't likely always be that way so I expect as he marries and has children, we'll be going down there more. It's a 2.5 hr drive.
The two negatives to living here, when we arrived last yr right when the snow started, was the long winters. We now have a 4wheel drive, friends to visit and there are some activities downtown. It should be easier.
Second is all the driving. my company is shutting down 1 office and I suspect the second one by the end of the year. Started selling supplements on the 10th of this month and if I keep going as I have, will be hitting close to 1k a month. It would be so nice to do well at this, be able to ship from home instead of driving to work 3.5 hrs round trip once a week. We'll see...

Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
How old were you when you moved? Over 65 or 70's? Did any of you move alone, knowing no one at your destination and no one to help you move? Being totally solitary? No family to speak of. I am in that situation and it is very fearful and actually depressing because I do not want to stay where I am indefinitely. I worry too much, hard to take the Plunge. So I keep procrastinating. Over and over indecisively.

Last edited by carnelian; 11-30-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
How old were you when you moved? Over 65 or 70's? Did any of you move alone, knowing no one at your destination and no one to help you move? Being totally solitary? No family to speak of. I am in that situation and it is very fearful and actually depressing because I do not want to stay where I am indefinitely. I worry too much, hard to take the Plunge. So I keep procrastinating. Over and over indecisively.
That's the same situation I'm in. I did a lot of research and pin pointed the state and area I want to move to and visited. I loved it! People I met, complete strangers were so nice, friendly and helpful. It took away whatever fears I had regarding that issue. I'm now looking forward to moving in 2-3 years.
Make the move as easy as possible. Take and move only what you really need and start fresh.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
I understand...the brown, the dust and the dry skin are the negatives in the desert southwest. Wouldn't that be somewhat mitigated in places like Prescott and Sierra Vista?
I really want to get away from the Southwest. For me, Arizona has become another place that Californians are moving to in large numbers and I don't want to live in another border state. Arizona is beautiful and I applaud those coming from back east who wanted a different climate and atmosphere. I want the same, a different climate and atmosphere so that eliminates the Southwest.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
I understand...the brown, the dust and the dry skin are the negatives in the desert southwest. Wouldn't that be somewhat mitigated in places like Prescott and Sierra Vista?
I used to want to live in Arizona. Used to make a trip out there at least once a year while in the military. Several air force bases there.

Then I went as a civilian in April - the heat! OMG no. Didn't bother me when I was younger and we went in July!

I have family that lives in the Phoenix area. Beautiful homes. She posts pics of her beautiful huge tinkling fountain

But then I see pics of her grandkids playing in that gravel, caliche or whatever - and just think NO. Have to have green grass.....

Old 11-30-2018, 02:56 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
This would be a very interesting thread!

Old 11-30-2018, 03:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
This would be a very interesting thread!
yes it would!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement