Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:06 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times

Advertisements

I am just curious.

We are happier than we've ever been but are not retired. But it's as if we are retired already.

Living within a national forest in a town 2 hrs away (almost 2 hrs from my employer) where the air and water is clean. Mountains, animals, happy people abide here. Not perfect people but much happier than I've seen anywhere

There is endless mountains, lakes, rivers all around us. Most homes around us, in our sub-division, are vacation homes. The town has about 100 full timers. So for every 2 homes, the third house is occupied.

Sure driving has been alot harder. Drive 1.5 hrs over the state boarder to shop. Drive to work, almost 4 hrs round trip 1x a week, once in a blue moon, 2x a week. Stay overnight 2 nights.
Lots of friends to hike with. None to bike with, sadly but that's fine. Ton of great trails. Of the full timers, about half are retired. It is weird to feel like you are on vacation all the time when you are just at home.

It's been a year now. Lots of friends, well 4 good friends so far and a couple who is becoming close friends but they are only here part time. We only visited 1-2x for 1-2 hrs then decided to buy a home here.

Downfall- our son doesn't make it up every month, it was once as long as 8 weeks. We went down there for one night, his b-day during hta ttime. He stays for 4 days or so when he does come up. Only one friend drove up here so far to see us Medical care is limited to one clinic, one doctor, 30 min away which is open business hours mon-fri. Only one Tiny hospital 1.5 hrs away which often cannot do a whole lot for you. No pets allowed due to snow, unless you want your dogs in for 3 months out of the year. Bears/coyotes kill cats and some dogs. No chickens. Short vegetable growing season so kind of a waste. Run of of food but we need to loose a few lbs anyhow. we are lower income than most everyone here but no one notices, house fits in and everyone is more into recreation so it's not as apparent. Hiking/walking/fishing going to each others for dinner. A few churches but none we want to attend

Anyone had such an experience?

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 11-27-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Yes, a very similar experience. I suspect we are neighbors-ish. But I do have a dog indoors, and I am driving 45 min each way to work and still working 5 days per week. I have another 4 to 6 years of full-time work to go.

Rural living is a big adjustment, but I am liking it just fine. The clean air and peace/quiet are very appealing. And the elbow room after decades of subdivision living.

(Many breeds of dog will do fine outdoors if you provide them with shelter).

Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Did moving to a new town where you knew no-one change your life in retirement

Yes, moving to a new town in retirement did change my life dramatically. I moved from a city that no longer suited my needs to one that did and it made all the difference.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'm not retired, but moved to what were essentially dart-throws several times. Ultimately, I was happier in one of those places than I am in my hometown. There are some things I like here, but plenty of disadvantages. I should be able to be more selective on my next move to find a better fit.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I am just curious.

We are happier than we've ever been but are not retired. But it's as if we are retired already.

Guess I don't quite understand your question re retirement.

I moved to a town where I didn't know anyone after I retired. I had lived in a very very small town during my last career job and knew I would want more out of a place than it could offer once I retired. Also, I didn't want to listen to constant complaints/questions about my former employer from everyone in that tiny community. Just because I moved farther away didn't really change my friendships that much. We are still close, still stay in contact and make plans to see each other. There haven't been that many surprises in the new town...but I tend to do my homework pretty carefully before jumping. Every place you move will create change, offer something new and end something old. Just the way it works.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:17 PM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
Did moving to a new town where you knew no-one change your life in retirement?

We've done that quite a few times but only once while retired. Living in a retirement community helps a lot with meeting people our own age that we have things in common with. Not everyone lives here year round, we get a LOT of winter Texan's aka snowbirds down here. They do hot dog or spaghetti dinners (2 examples) at the Rec center. They also do pot lucks now and then and get together's on holiday's for those not traveling. Everyone is really nice and we do enjoy them. Someone is always planning cards, or games or a little day trip or going to breakfast or dinner. It's tropical here so winter is my favorite season when it's not so hot and humid. You can go out in your yard and pick grapefruit, oranges, banana's and avocado's. We don't have an avocado tree but the neighbor does and tells everyone to take what they want, the tree is huge with a lot on it.

Things to do.

The beach is close.

This is a major bird watching area and we have a World Birding Center.

The Nature Park is an oasis for many species of wildlife, the trails are well maintained and you can see various cacti species. It's 54 acres of woodlands with a walking trail, wildlife viewing, gardens & water features.

Market Days. They do a great job with their Market Days the first Saturday of every month. You’ll find lots of good food, live music, plants, farmers market items, kettle corn, and lots and lots of antiques.

There are quite a few Museum's.

They have Art Night, you can meet local artists and vendors.

Performing Arts Theatre

Dolphin Research & Sea Life Nature Center

Fishing is real big here too. My husband likes to fish in the bay for flounder but he also goes go out on the Patrick's boat for snapper.

Each town has a farmers market, the one in Harlingen is all organic. You can also buy fresh honey, breads, oils, soaps, shrimp, grass fed beef, quail and chicken eggs, goats milk cheeses and a lot more.

They have a lot of different festivals like the onion festival.

They have Christmas parades on the water with lighted boats.

We have movies on the lighthouse, it's like a drive in, you just bring your lawn chair.

Lots of music like Blues on the hill.

NABA Butterfly Park is devoted to wild butterflies. More than 300 species of butterflies have been found in the Lower Rio Grande Valley and this 100 acre tract serves as an ideal basis for a world-class botanical garden and butterfly park.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
I am just curious.

Living within a national forest in a town 2 hrs away (almost 2 hrs from my employer) where the air and water is clean. Mountains, animals, happy people abide here. Not perfect people but much happier than I've seen anywhere

There is endless mountains, lakes, rivers all around us. Most homes around us, in our sub-division, are vacation homes. The town has about 100 full timers. So for every 2 homes, the third house is occupied.

Sure driving has been alot harder. Drive 1.5 hrs over the state boarder to shop. Drive to work, almost 4 hrs round trip 1x a week, once in a blue moon, 2x a week. Stay overnight 2 nights.
Lots of friends to hike with. None to bike with, sadly but that's fine. Ton of great trails. Of the full timers, about half are retired. It is weird to feel like you are on vacation all the time when you are just at home.

It's been a year now. Lots of friends, well 4 good friends so far and a couple who is becoming close friends but they are only here part time. We only visited 1-2x for 1-2 hrs then decided to buy a home here.

Downfall- our son doesn't make it up every month, it was once as long as 8 weeks. We went down there for one night, his b-day during hta ttime. He stays for 4 days or so when he does come up. Only one friend drove up here so far to see us Medical care is limited to one clinic, one doctor, 30 min away which is open business hours mon-fri. Only one Tiny hospital 1.5 hrs away which often cannot do a whole lot for you. No pets allowed due to snow, unless you want your dogs in for 3 months out of the year. Bears/coyotes kill cats and some dogs. No chickens. Short vegetable growing season so kind of a waste. Run of of food but we need to loose a few lbs anyhow. we are lower income than most everyone here but no one notices, house fits in and everyone is more into recreation so it's not as apparent. Hiking/walking/fishing going to each others for dinner. A few churches but none we want to attend

Anyone had such an experience?
Sounds like you are one of our neighbors!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Yup, moving from a big city to a rural area just outside a small town changed our lives, so much for the better. I had lived in the city for 38 years and was pretty terrified to move to an area where we knew no one. Four and a half years later, we couldn't be happier, and we tell each other nearly every day how lucky we are.

Our area is beautiful and quiet (I never thought I'd be that person who runs to the window when she hears a car go by, but that's how quiet it is around here). In the city, I had three friends I'd see on a monthly or every other month basis for an hour or two for lunch or a movie. Here, to my amazement, I have found so many new friends, two of whom I'd describe as very close and about seven or eight more who have the potential to be good friends. I haven't had that kind of social circle since college.

In general, people are nicer here than in the city. They seem to have time to chat and it's such fun to walk into a restaurant or the library and see people we know.

We have to go about an hour away for specialized health care and some large purchases, but actually in the city we used to live in, we'd probably have to drive 40 minutes at the least, through stress-inducing traffic, for the same type of services, so that's a wash. Overall, moving here is one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:15 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
We did in reverse. Rural SFH to condo (small building) but with elevator.
Yes. No more yard and farm work.

Last edited by leastprime; 11-28-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Did moving to a new town where you knew no-one change your life in retirement?

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement