Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who really doesn't want to live to advanced old age! I'm "only" 68 but have advanced degenerative disk disease that has really affected my quality of life over the past ten years. I can't imagine living with this (worsening) pain for another 10 years, much less 20. I don't have grandchildren, I can't travel and there really isn't anything I haven't done that I'd miss if I died early. So I think if it was a cancer diagnosis that involved chemo, I'd pass. My only concern is, making sure I have all my final instructions spelled out (because I am a control freak and don't like the idea of loose ends), and that my house is clean so my judgmental family doesn't talk about me after I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 12:34 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?.
Have I? No. But under certain circumstances I can see that happening. My mom was in a nursing home for seven years and at a certain point I think she would have wished to depart this life while she still knew what that meant (have a voice in her affairs, say goodbye, etc.) Being without mental powers or faculties would be the thing that would put me over the edge.

Knowing how I’ve handled other things, I probably would approach an physical illness as a project or challenge for as long as possible. I’ve known some people who refused to give up in the face of certain death from cancer and the determination gave them a little more time.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:22 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
I strongly believe that everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:21 PM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Absolutely! - Dying is just moving on toward our real home (which is not this world).

I'm not anxious to die, but, given the downward spiral of this world, have grown increasingly less enamored with what this world has to offer to a true believer.
Or even to a non-believer.

Given the current state of the world (politically, environmentally, economically), returning dust to dust might not be such a bad idea.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post

Given the current state of the world (politically, environmentally, economically), returning dust to dust might not be such a bad idea.
I’ll pass thank you.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:

Why do you drag politics into this thread? That’s the sad part.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have you ever gotten to the point where you really don't care if you live or die?

Living is hard, dying isn't all that hard from what I've seen. I know, some diseases are painful but, say, if you are diagnosed with extensive heart disease, did you ever get to the point where you were resigned to it?

Please don't try to dissect this post. I'm just asking.
Please tell me this will alleviate my fear of dying when my time comes. Right now having issues accepting that I will no longer be one with my body - fear of losing what I now know as my consciousness / self.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:13 PM

310 posts, read 202,809 times
For those who fear loss of consciousness/self, there are myriads of intelligent books that deal with the subject, and they could offset your fears. There's no reason not to explore them.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Evidently I'm one of the few regulars here, who thinks that the world is mostly improving. Life today is safer, more commodious and more pleasant than probably at any prior time. I miss the equity bull-market of the 1980s and 1990s. I'd like to have been active during the heyday of my profession (aeronautical engineering)... 1930s through 1960s. And I'm disappointed that at least by my reckoning, the pace of innovation is attenuating.

But were I to have had children (which, for myriad reasons, I don't), I'd feel optimistic about their prospects, vs. my own, and would feel even more optimistic about the grandchildren's prospects.

None of this however is enough to actually recommend having children, or a long life for one's own self. I'm better off today, than I'd have been 50 or 100 or 200 or whatever years ago. But best off, is to outright never having been born. So, while I'm optimistic about humanity and human history overall, I'm skeptical of the ultimate, the "ontological" value of intelligent life.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I will hang on to the bitter end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement