Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

"Beam me Up, Alexa".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Hint....

Buying a house for retirement ??

Alexa (and all other technology) is watching and listening as you walk and talk through the house. Be careful what you say and do in someones house today. Sellers are probably watching you, especially these young techies and you'll never know it !!

You'd be surprised what I've had Sellers call me and say "You won't believe what that Buyer just said about the house (or the seller)".

Big Brother is watching.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I seem to have had a post deleted, something about political, but trouble is I have no idea what it said. I don't tend to be very political.
Anyway one of my son's bought us a dot for Christmas so we could call and see him, and we have not yet been able to do it. He is in my call list but Alexa can't seem to find him even though supposedly it was alined to my phone.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
One of my friends is very intrigued by my Amazon Echo and has asked me to set one up for her. She has an active Amazon prime account and still uses her computer, though infrequently. She is primarily interested in the ability of Alexa to read Kindle and Audible books out loud, play news, weather, music and radio stations, as well as Alexa clock, alarm, and timer functions. I think she can keep up with the Alexa app if I install it on her PC and write out step-by-step instructions for her. She does not use a smartphone and does not want to. I don’t intend to interface with any gadgets such as lights or tv until I know she is comfortable using Alexa and wants to try Smart Home features.

I plan to add the standard recommended skills for seniors such as medication reminders, podcasts, sleep machine emulators, maybe a meditation skill. There are so many Alexa skills now that it is a challenge to keep up with them. So, I’m asking, what unique Alexa skills do you recommend an almost centennial senior could use and enjoy? Her special interest is history.

I admit, I do not "get" the appeal of these devices. My phone will read audible books and do all the rest of your list.

Many of our devices are voice controlled, the TV, xbox and phone..... and I find it more of pain than a help.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Might as well type it into a search engine, eh?
And then you can see the Sources, and other options, not just have someone choose what answer to give you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I had never heard of Alexa until this past weekend. I visited a friend who has it/her.

All I know about it is that I loved having music. Ever since radio kind of died off, I miss having something to listen. So we had lots of fun telling her to play songs.

Apparently I could get some of the few radio stations that are still live--like the one I now listen to on my computer. I don't know how Alexa works but that's what I'd use it for--my favorite radio station that I can't get around here and to listen to songs.

I have a million questions but one is--if you have the Alexa 2 in the living room, can you have the smaller thing (whatever it's called) in the bedroom and listen to something else at the same time? So Alexa in the LR is playing some tunes but the person in the bedroom wants to hear something different at the same time. Is that possible? (Dumb question # 1.) I have no interest in turning lights or thermostat off and on--mostly just want radio that sounds better than from my laptop.

Echo dot--that thing. Is it just a speaker to have in another room or can you make it play something else while Alexa in the living room is playing something else???

Old 03-22-2019, 04:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
You should be able to play different music on each. That might depend on how the initial set up is done. I have limited experience with the Echo and Dot from helping friends set theirs up, and once they were they finished it.

The important thing to pay attention to is the ring on top when setting up. The colors mean things and the explanation in the setup paper doesn't go into it as well as it should. It took me a while to figure pout that the color I was seeing during setup meant I was supposed to do something. The color was not mentioned in the directions.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You should be able to play different music on each. That might depend on how the initial set up is done. I have limited experience with the Echo and Dot from helping friends set theirs up, and once they were they finished it.

The important thing to pay attention to is the ring on top when setting up. The colors mean things and the explanation in the setup paper doesn't go into it as well as it should. It took me a while to figure pout that the color I was seeing during setup meant I was supposed to do something. The color was not mentioned in the directions.
I sure wouldn't be able to do it if even you found it confusing! Besides, I'm not interested in the tech part and would have a hard time even reading the boring (to me) instructions. But I'll see if my friend's man friend can do it sometime. Thank you!

Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I admit, I do not "get" the appeal of these devices. My phone will read audible books and do all the rest of your list.

Many of our devices are voice controlled, the TV, xbox and phone..... and I find it more of pain than a help.
Mikala, i thoroughly agree.

I do NOT see the appeal.

I have a remote control device sold at Christmas in wally world that will turn on/off up to three things, so having an alexa for that is a moot point to me. Granted it wont control the over or order to refill the fridge, but i LIKE grocery shopping.

Like you said, my phone can do all those things except tirn on/off lights and appliances.

My best friend has one and so far except having it play his favorite songs ( which he has to peogram in on the computer,) and asking time and weather, it has not more use for him.

I just dont get it.

Oh well.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When my phone and computer aren't nearby, I can ask Alexa something and she'll give me the answer immediately.

The appeal of it is...I don't have to move an inch. It's plain laziness, and I love it. We can be lying in bed at night watching TV, have a question about an actor in the show, yell downstairs to Alexa, and she gives us the answer. I don't have to look at the weather report, and I can just ask Alexa, and she gives me the weather. It's like having a Mom around when you're a kid...you ask, she answers.

It's just convenience, and I find it to be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement