Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

my wife actually pushed me back in to it . she did not realize it was like giving a recovering druggie drugs . i became obsessed with it .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:17 AM

34 posts, read 22,891 times
My friends and relatives who are looking for work past age 70 are not searching for a new job but had retired and ran out of money. It was a case of bad planning and emergencies.

Many of the replies so far talked about people who never retired and who held on to their regular jobs they had held for years. That is a completely different situation.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

So, don't assume every old person you see working is doing it out of desperation. Some of us love to work.
Not sure where you got the impression from my post that I assume every elderly person returning to the work is doing it out of financial desperation ??? My post was focused entirely on my profession of nursing only. Fortunately for me I have a position for the last 18 years where I don't have to physically exert myself which is a great blessing because after 20+ years of doing hard labor of pushing, pulling, and lifting heavy patients and equipment both my shoulders are hanging on by threads and one big sneeze my back goes out.

Good for you that you love to work. I too very much enjoyed for the most part every nursing job I have had over my now 40 year nursing career which hopefully will be 45 years when I retire. For me to push working much beyond age 66 in a profession where you always have be sharp as a tack and there is NO room for error would not be a wise decision for me to make as it could have a negative impact on the patients in my care.

Never being someone who put all their life eggs in the work basket, that being said I have be able to have a very active life outside of work filled with many interests, so the time void left when I transition into non work life I will not have any trouble filling. And for me, those interests just waiting for me to devote more time to will keep me much healthier as I age than being in a work environment that is filled with sickness and disease.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife actually pushed me back in to it . she did not realize it was like giving a recovering druggie drugs . i became obsessed with it .
Love it!!! I was a flag twirler in the high school band and still keep in touch with many of the guys I was friendly with that played the drums in the band and most are still playing the drums in one capacity or another.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 AM

i think my wife kind of regrets it . i don't think she expected it to consume me like it does .

i could never just dabble in something . it either gets all my effort and attention or i don't do it . i think she created a monster unexpectedly ha ha ha.

the good thing is with the offer i got to do the 50th anniversary tour at least all the time and money i have been putting in has a light at the end of the tunnel , that is not the train coming lol.. between the expenses for my coach and the expenses of being in the studio every week and sometimes 2x a week i really needed something to show for it , so this kind of takes the pressure off- for now lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-03-2018 at 04:38 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We just used Uber and Lyft while on vacation a couple of weeks ago, when we wanted to have a few drinks and not have to drive our own cars. I got to BS with a couple of the drivers, and they said they love it. They make their own hours, and make a decent living.

Probably just like driving a taxi cab, but a little less restrictive.
I have a neighbor who drives for Lyft and loves it. I am also in the process of signing up. I love driving around and interacting with people too. I also deliver flowers and sell online. I have other hobbies too that keep me active physically and mentally. Sitting down will land you in an early grave.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
does that include gas , maintenance and mileage on the car ?

a new study shows they take in about 25 bucks an hour .

uber takes 8.33

vehicle expenses , gas , insurance , mileage, etc average 4.77 an hour

.90 cents an hour for fica and medicare

balance is 10.21 with out subtraction for medical benefits

mr money mustache experimented with uber in Colorado and cleared about 8 bucks an hour when all was said and done
You are all about criticizing others and lauding over everyone about your lifestyle choices as if you are the only one who has it all figured out. It is nice that you have found things that work for you, but how about letting others have an opinion too. You are not the center of the universe, believe it or not.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am 65, retired from a grueling RN night job last January, and have a pension and Soc. Sec. I worked like crazy the last couple of years, paid off everything but mortgage, and sold my house back East (that's my backup money) and moved to a small house which I love in Colorado, which I also love.

I could not work, and have been tempted. I started to transfer my RN license to Colorado, and got stalled out in the fingerprint stage. My license is good in Mass. until 2020, and I could forever renew it there. There is no work for me within 80 miles where I am but do think I should get a CO license just in case. My job was psychiatric/detox, and there is no care around here at all. If there were, I think I'd like to work a day a week or so, for financial reasons, and to be around "my people." There was supposed to be a new medical center in 2018 about 35 miles away with a few psych/detox beds, but they still haven't agreed on a location, never mind a building, so that was vaguely my plan for my license. There is hospice work that I would qualify for, but one reason I am happy to be retired is not having to go out at night in bad weather and drive all over to make a living, and hospice could certainly involve that. Still, I think I should get on it and get a CO license.

I was doing some from-home transcribing, which was very low money and unsuitable work (poor audio). I am currently getting signed with another home transcribing service, which will also be low money but better audio and management. I can't see arguing with grocery money that I can get working from home, in pajamas with the dogs around, and not having to get out in the weather or put miles on the car. (I went out the other night to a lecture and drove the 25 miles home in the dark, two-lane road, and re-realized that my night vision isn't great and the curving road made me fear that others were going to drive right into me. It was different when I was working nights- a well-lit highway to work).

I just cannot get comfortable with a fixed income. True, I could have fewer dogs, and might let the group downsize (three are almost 15 years old) and dog expenses/proper maintenance has been pricey). Just seems like, while I'm of an age to still make some money, I should, although almost every bit of me resists the idea of *having* to do anything.

At my former job, there were many people, mostly RNs, well over 65, usually working part-time or on-call. Two were obviously slipping mentally, and the new clunky electronic medical records system did push a few out to retirement. I always wondered why they were still working- as far as I knew, they could afford not to, but who knows.
You could market your skillset as a "medical assistant". This is the new cheaper substitute for nurses and medical social workers here in my area of the midwest. No license required.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a relative that has a cab company. He is of course anti Uber

His main complaint is that the drivers are not required to have a full police type background check.
I am currently applying for Lyft and I signed consent for a background check.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
You are all about criticizing others and lauding over everyone about your lifestyle choices as if you are the only one who has it all figured out. It is nice that you have found things that work for you, but how about letting others have an opinion too. You are not the center of the universe, believe it or not.
first of all it ain't me that figured it all out . read the article , i did not write it. that is their facts and figures ... you may want to read before making accusations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement