Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to bad it ain't our choice
In Oregon it could be. But my point was that living longer is not always preferable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
so far everyone i ever knew that had that attitude about dying cried like a baby when the end was near .

my ex wife's father smoked so much . he used to say why should i stop ? so i can live a few years longer and be a decrepit old man .

well when the day came he was diagnosed with lung cancer he was crying and going how could he have been so stupid as to think what he did

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
so far everyone i ever knew that had that attitude about dying cried like a baby when the end was near .

my ex wife's father smoked so much . he used to say why should i stop ? so i can live a few years longer and be a decrepit old man .

well when the day came he was diagnosed with lung cancer he was crying and going how could he have been so stupid as to think what he did
There is a difference about what you are stating and having someone suffering from cancer for a year or longer before dying or just dying a year earlier.
I had a friend who went thru cancer treatment it wasn’t a good time for him but cancer went into remission 2 years later it was back he chose to not go thru the treatments again because in his words his quality of life going thru those treatments was not worth it

Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
My father smoked his whole life and suffered a number of consequences including eventual stroke and blindness. He never seemed to regret his choices. He said he always greatly enjoyed smoking. He was still smoking after some of the surgeries and his first couple of years on oxygen.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
There is a difference about what you are stating and having someone suffering from cancer for a year or longer before dying or just dying a year earlier.
I had a friend who went thru cancer treatment it wasn’t a good time for him but cancer went into remission 2 years later it was back he chose to not go thru the treatments again because in his words his quality of life going thru those treatments was not worth it
again , i don't discuss in terms of what if's about straw people .

Old 12-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
again , i don't discuss in terms of what if's about straw people .
Straw people?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
i never speak in terms of straw people . but i can tell you there is a big difference between myself and my parents and my wife and her parents .

my mom died at 55 and my dad at my age was old and a couch potato . at 66 and 68 we are far healthier and energetic then either of our parents were at our age . i still run 4 miles every other day and spend 2 hours in the studio drumming , usually in the same day . that was nothing like our parents were at our age.

yeah i just turned diabetic slightly but my lifestyle held it at bay for the last 5 years . 10 years ago i was on blood pressure meds . today i am off them with low blood pressure levels from years of running .

so i can only tell our own stories .
"Slightly" diabetic??

Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

yes , people who may act a certain way in certain situations that i have no idea who they are or whether they would or wouldn't want to live . .

Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
yes , people who may act a certain way in certain situations that i have no idea who they are or whether they would or wouldn't want to live . .
But yet you quoted tour father in law as an example who under your terms would be “straw” people to me.

I’ll stop now because this is going nowhere I will speak for myself.

Longer life is not necessarily better for me, and if I’m presented with similar circumstances as my friend I would probably choose the same. But to each his/ her own.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Not going through and self termination is a different story altogether. You mentioned Oregon, I assume that means assisted suicide.
Both my mom and dad refused aggressive treatment to treat their problem. My mom refused chemotherapy, too agggressive for her, but she did have radiation. Died 2 years later from cancer. My dad did the same, had kidney proble, refused surgery, but he did have dialysis 3 times a week, he died of old age. Just woke up one day, refused to eat and died in the afternoon. Died 3 years after he needed surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement