Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I mostly remember people just drinking out of reusable plastic jugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
A lot of "health improvements" are decreasing risk. Very few people die of dehydration but people who don't keep themselves reasonably well hydrated are more prone to a variety of health problems. If you tell your doctor your pee is always dark and ask if that is a problem, the answer is almost certainly yes (if it isn't, I would find another doctor) and the first thing the doctor is likely to recommend is drinking more water.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
...... Very few people die of dehydration but people who don't keep themselves reasonably well hydrated are more prone to a variety of health problems. ........
Which problems are these and what are your sources of information?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
As an observation sure but beyond that I don’t get why someone would find people carrying water bottles irritating or even care. When I used to commute on the tube back in the day nearly everyone had their nose stuck in a book,now it’s the phone and why presume they are on fb. I read the news and have my kindle on the phone and read these while sitting in the docs office etc. just seems some garner a sense of superiority in judging others and coming up with conclusions without any facts.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Which problems are these and what are your sources of information?
The first article (peer reviewed medical study) lists 15. The other 2 are easier to read.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/
https://www.newvision.co.ug/new_visi...cause-diseases
Serious Health Conditions Associated with Dehydration | Thorzt.com

Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
As an observation sure but beyond that I don’t get why someone would find people carrying water bottles irritating or even care. When I used to commute on the tube back in the day nearly everyone had their nose stuck in a book,now it’s the phone and why presume they are on fb. I read the news and have my kindle on the phone and read these while sitting in the docs office etc. just seems some garner a sense of superiority in judging others and coming up with conclusions without any facts.
yes - if kids were sitting at a restaurant reading a book - no one would say anything, but a tablet - the world comes to an end.

And yea - some of my older friends see facebook as nothing but gossip. One deleted hers because of this. This just tells me the kind of people that you have as friends -

I keep up with my genealogy finds with family members I have never met. No gossip, politics etc. We just do that sort of thing face to face - like in the good old days!

Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
We still have several water fountains at church.

I became allergic to the corn syrup in sodas back in 1985 and have drank water and black coffee ever since. It was difficult to get water sometimes back then. Places like movie theaters, fairs, concerts, etc only had sodas. I used to distill gallons at home.

For the last 15 years or so we've had water delivery in the 5 gallon jugs. I never carry it with me unless I'm hiking or on a long road trip, but I keep a glass of water by me and drink it all day long.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think we all have different experiences with this. My mother is 87, healthy with no dementia, no walker or assisted living. She never carried water around with her and drank water from the kitchen faucet when she was thirsty.
Nobody in my bridge club carries water either, they are much older than us. But some of them don’t realize they are loopy.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
None of these have any data to support maintaining water intake greater than the minimum to maintain homeostasis. In fact the first article explains the issue most clearly: "but little research supports the notion that additional water in adequately hydrated individuals confers any benefit."

Urine concentration is typically measured by specific gravity or more sophisticated instruments which measure osmolality. What is considered normal is a huge range of about 300-900 mOsm/kg. It takes about 14 hours of water deprivation under normal sedentary conditions to reach the upper end of normal. Although considered normal but is way past the point where we would experience clear sensations of thirst.

The issue is not whether severe dehydration is worrisome, the question is about excessive drinking beyond what is needed for homeostasis. Do some additional research and you will find there are some concerns but also little data about the harmful effects. There is little or no data outside of mere opinions to support the notion of excess hydration.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
None of these have any data to support maintaining water intake greater than the minimum to maintain homeostasis. In fact the first article explains the issue most clearly: "but little research supports the notion that additional water in adequately hydrated individuals confers any benefit."

Urine concentration is typically measured by specific gravity or more sophisticated instruments which measure osmolality. What is considered normal is a huge range of about 300-900 mOsm/kg. It takes about 14 hours of water deprivation under normal sedentary conditions to reach the upper end of normal. Although considered normal but is way past the point where we would experience clear sensations of thirst.

The issue is not whether severe dehydration is worrisome, the question is about excessive drinking beyond what is needed for homeostasis. Do some additional research and you will find there are some concerns but also little data about the harmful effects. There is little or no data outside of mere opinions to support the notion of excess hydration.
I think you pulled that quote out of reasons for the current study; lack of correlation in existing studies. So you think people don't get hydrated by water. Further discussion is not something I want to pursue given that belief. I can't convince you and can't make you right, so I will drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement