Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,898,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
That's what a lot of people don't get. I worked on a project that packages the water bottles for a major distributor. After a little snooping around and a few questions it was easy to find out that the water came directly from the city's water system. I was also reminded of the plant's policy that "what is seen or done here, stays here".
I've heard some of them come from public water sources in MI, even though it's notorious for bad water now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
Public water is so contaminated with chemicals and this nasty fluoride for one thing, that I won't drink tap if I can avoid it. I carry the smaller bottle and won't even drink restaurant water for the most part. 30 yrs ago the lead pipes were not as bad as they are today.

Plus I believe years ago so many were dehydrated in general. Only drank water if they were thirsty. Not that way today. I don't touch sodas nor alcohol anymore so water is my drink of choice.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-10-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 PM

585 posts, read 437,177 times
I guess I'm one of the guilty ones carrying around the water bottle. I do have 2 sizes of the expensive stainless steel bottles one is 17 ounces and the other is 25 ounces. I fill my bottle at home with filtered water from the refrigerator and fill it at work with the filtered water in the office. The bottles are easy to clean with a good brush I ordered specifically for them.

I carry one when walking or hiking as most days we do 5 to 7 miles. I keep the small one in my bag when shopping in case I'm thirsty. I also like to bring the small one on planes when we travel. I can fill it up once we get through security and have plenty of water to drink while I travel.

I drink a lot of water everyday. I don't drink sodas, juices or other types of drinks. I like a mug of hot black tea in the morning at work then water for the remainder of the day and maybe a glass of wine at dinner occasionally.
I know that when I had my first daughter 27 years ago and was nursing that is when I got in the habit of always having water with me.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,142,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Of course that's a personal choice. It doesn't mean however that public drinking fountains are rare.

They are rare in some places, not all but seriously why spend time hunting out a water fountain when you can carry a bottle ? Anyway according to the Washington Post and several other news sources the public water fountains are fast disappearing.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM

325 posts, read 204,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
Our kids (28-31 age group) tote around a "metal friendly" water bottle. They realized that most bottled water for a fee isn't any healthier or a better grade than what comes out of the kitchen tap. They do not utilize commercially bottled water. As far as our age group (over 50) we grew up using a thermos and those huge water coolers you see the construction workers crowd still using. But no... it was not the norm back in the day.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,818,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
For a long time, humans have ingested water based on bodily needs.
For a long time, humans only had a lifespan of 30-40 years. Your point?

You don't know that people only drank what they immediately needed and so didn't carry water with them. In point of fact, that's actually wrong. Canteens in earlier times were made from hollowed-out gourds or leather and yes, people did carry them because sometimes they didn't know where or when potable water would be available again.

Which is exactly the same rationale many people posted on this thread.

Congratulations, you've discovered something that is entirely normal. Maybe we can move on to another gripping topic such as Why do people feel the need to put their food inside two slices of bread?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,730,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Congratulations, you've discovered something that is entirely normal. Maybe we can move on to another gripping topic such as Why do people feel the need to put their food inside two slices of bread?

"Normal" is ingesting water based on bodily needs. This thing of sipping on water all day long is not something I witnessed en masse until the last few years.

BTW, maybe you're cranky just because you're dehydrated?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
I sip water all day, and could be too why I have never had kidney stones or those stones people have huge issues with that I've read in our health group.

I have a bottle at 5 locations in my apt. Yes, I drink or sip water all day and believe healthier because of it.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,661,115 times
You have to drink a lot of water to have water toxicity. I drink water all the time, plus I eat lots of vegs, lots of water from them, no kidney stone. Nothing.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:14 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,621,477 times
I just don't see why certain people on this thread are so hostile and adamant about the issue of people drinking water when they are thirsty, and having the foresight to bring their water with them so it's available when they need it.

Some people claim that the reason they are objecting is because of the plastic bottle refuse. I can see that, but that person quoted my post and made the same remark about plastic bottles when I clearly said in my post that I use a reusable bottle or my plastic cup and straw. I've had the same red plastic cup and straw for 5 years. I run it through the dishwasher. I take it with me wherever I go. I sip from it all the time. If you don't like that, TOO BAD.

What really bothers me is whiny people who bring up all the habits of others that bother them. See, now I'm turning into one of those people! Thanks a lot! Next I'll be saying things like "Back in my day we didn't.....blah, blah, blah". It doesn't take much to see where the stereotype of cranky old people came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement