Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:58 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think anyone is losing their minds. Some people just don't realize they are paying more for water than gasoline they put in their cars thinking they are buying something better, purer than faucet water when they are not. It's just a reality check.
24 Half-liter bottles of purified water at the local Kroger stores is $1.99 . That is over THREE gallons. Please tell me where you can get gas at that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
During the summer we made the mistake of leaving our water bottles in the car. By the time we got back we could have tossed a teabag in the bottle and made a cup of tea the water was so hot My oncologist is constantly stressing the need to keep hydrated and especially in the summer. I’ve heard kidney stones are brutally painful so I can understand the importance of drinking plenty of water.

I have had two bouts of dehydration in my life, one being borderline dangerous. It’s not something to take lightly.

In Arizona, dehydration is one of the major causes of emergency room visits. And it is generally non-locals who do not think that they need to carry water with them because they are "not thirsty."

Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think anyone is losing their minds. Some people just don't realize they are paying more for water than gasoline they put in their cars thinking they are buying something better, purer than faucet water when they are not. It's just a reality check.
People are well aware of this as it has been written about and discussed many times in many places.

The OP is just complaining about a societal occurrence.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Proof that marketing works.

When I got thirsty I would go to a soft drink machine and get a coke or actually drink GASP tap water, which I still do.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
All the plastic waste is not harmless. I've had to drink bottled my whole life due to marginal wells or softened water. But I'd refill reusable bottles. But yeah, I've wondered this too. I too drank out of hoses when playing outside. But the need to always have water with us is relatively new to me, though a good idea, I suppose. Were our parents less healthy due to less water? Hmmm...
I drink out of bottle, but my own stainless steel, I leave it in my car, plus I rarely drink coffee or any other juices. But I agree it’s not harmless, it’s worse than plastic bags and straws, which people make a big deal now. I remember growing up drinking out of faucet. When we travel, I do drink out of bottle for safety sake. But not in Switzerland.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
I have five plastic bottles in the refrigerator that get refilled with filtered water from my Britta pitcher. I have been doing this for years. I'm not sure if the filtered water is better than the tap water here, but one hears things and I do drink a lot of water. I always have a bottle next to my chair. I don't usually carry a bottle with me, but I'll put one in the car cup-holder if I'm going on a long drive.

Still, the common in-home water filters may remove some chlorine, metals, and salts, but they won't remove a lot of the pollutants that enter our water supply (pesticides, drugs, etc.), and storing in plastic bottles might even add plastic contaminants. Complexity in the details.

Sort of related: As we get older, our sense of thirst declines--At sixty-eight, I already notice this in myself. It's not uncommon for folks in their eighties or nineties to never want to drink water. However, drinking water can help with mental clarity as one grows older.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Were our parents less healthy due to less water? Hmmm...

I'm sure there were other reasons, as well, but FWIW my parents were definitely less healthy at my age than I am. By the time she was 50, mother had all sorts of problems with arthritis and inflammation (two things that staying hydrated helps). I'm ten years older than that and so far mostly avoiding those issues. She was also heavier than I am.

I inherited my kidney stones from my dad; by the time he was my age he had had lithotripsy 3 times. I've had it done once, and once was enough. If something as simple as drinking water keeps me from going down his path, I will happily continue. (And yes, I think that's the reason I haven't had nearly as many occurrences as he had).

Both my parents looked a lot older than I do at the same age; I think hydration plays a role in that, too. When I look at photos, it's hard not to note that by the time they were 50, my mother, in particular, looked old. To be fair, although my Dad looked old and he had some kidney issues, he was basically pretty healthy and lived to see 90.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 12-09-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 10:55 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
This is curious.

Weren’t “you guys”, the retirees of today; the Yuppies of the 1980’s?

I thought you guys started this bottled water craze with your green bottles of Perrier. I used to think ya’ll were strange for spending money on water in bottles.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:55 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
I bought one bottle of water for $.99 that has a flip cap, then refill it all the time with nice Lake Michigan tap water. The Dasani, Aquafina, Nestle Pure etc are nonsense and pure profit items for the manufacturer. As indicated numerous times above, water helps flush the impurities from your system and highly recommended. Besides, other than numerous trips to the loo, and as long as one is using a reusable container, what harm is there?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've never understood why some people seem to lose their minds over a harmless activity other people do. It makes no sense to me.

Live and let live...
I would if there weren't billions of empty one use water bottles to deal with, in the ocean, on lakes, in landfills - that's a travesty. They should be illegal along with disposable plastic straws, shopping bags, etc. If you must carry water around, at least buy reusable bottles. Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement