Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,686,003 times

Advertisements

I just got back on one for the first time in years, being overly timid after my artificial hip dislocation.

But only on the hard beach sand---no pavement for me (and the crazy drivers here). I think the sand is a better work-out, since I'm pretty worn-out afterwards, compared to walking. My theory is if I fall, the sand might "save me" from further injury.

Or have you given up this possibly-risky sport?

(Mathjak, I know you race competitively, but we know you and the missus are outliers! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM

157 posts, read 91,744 times
Ahh, a thread after my own heart. Little over 2 years ago I was in a fairly serious motorcycle accident which laid me up for a few months and took many, many more to heal completely. During that time I gained a lot of weight. We're talking too much weight; as in a LOT! Last Spring I was thinking how can I get rid of all this blubber while not aggravating the injuries?

That's when the idea struck me to give cycling a try. Had not ridden since I was a kid. Bought a cheapo bike at Dick's and started pedaling around the neighborhood. My a$$ hurt and I ran out of breath after a few minutes, but I stuck with it. It's easier on the joints and bones than walking/running. That was last May. Now I'm on a little better bike, pedaling around town for an hour each night, letting my heart rate go up and down as one does during an aerobic exercise and most importantly down 50 lbs and counting. It's too cold and too dark here after work now so I'm in the gym, but as soon as the warmth and light return I'll be back out on the streets. I'm addicted to it!

Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM

4,548 posts, read 3,773,286 times
We ride our bikes here recreationally. There is the Venetian and Legacy bike trails nearby that we ride on for distance and no car traffic. We ride our bikes to the beach on backroads, a 15 minute ride. Our most dangerous ride is in our neighborhood with our grandkids. The six year old is bound and determined to take one of us out. He’s getting better though at paying attention. We might live through this yet.

I rode my bike everywhere as a kid and still love it. We rode infrequently in NY with the hills/mountains and curves. I know people that loved that type of terrain for bikes, but I was never comfortable with it. We grew up as flatlanders and we are back to no hills in FL again and riding more than we have in a long time.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,417,238 times
So far this year, I have pedaled my bike a bit over 6000 miles. I am mid-60s, and this is my first year as a retiree. During my working years, the last 20 years of work I was a daily bicycle commuter. I averaged 5000 miles per year during most of those years.

I am in Tucson now, and the bike riding around here is excellent. I ride about 4 days a week, on various loops that average 30 to 35 miles. I went to Germany over the summer and took my bike as luggage. I bike toured in Germany for nearly 3 months, and it was a great trip.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
Not yet, I’m still savings my bike for the future.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM

221 posts, read 193,463 times
Began pedaling in college years. Not keen on paying for auto insurance, first job allowed indoor storage of a bicycle. Did without a vehicle for five years (when I dated, every woman had a car). Daily riding continued and into retirement it is likely this mileage has surpassed 200,000 miles.

This base allows every-other-day solo spins of 25-30 miles at 16-18 mph. Longest ride was the cycle portion of the last February Hawaii Ironman.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,125,705 times
Yes, an amazing bike path called the Capitol Bike Trail was actually one of the reasons we chose to move to Williamsburg. It goes from the Jamestown Settlement in WBurg to Richmond, and along the way you ride parallel to the James River, mostly through a wooded area (and also mostly along Rt. 5). You pass plantations, you can stop at funky little restaurants and a winery, and there are a few fun bridges and river views. We haven't actually ridden all the way to Richmond yet, but we've made it to the winery at Shirley Plantation.

We don't ride fast these days, but we do enjoy the ride. Some people also walk along it, which we might try some day.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,982,137 times
no.
not anymore.
i tried it, but did not like it.
story:
on Sunday, i would ride my bike to Church.
i mistakenly thought that traffic would not be bad.
apparently, the drunks are driving home on Sunday morning.
anyone want to buy a bike which i only rode to church on Sunday? lol.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,735,183 times
Yes, but not nearly as much as I used to. The risks don’t bother me.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,455,962 times
As a kid and a young adult, I rode my racing bicycle all over the city. I really liked using it for transportation even though I did have a car.
When I was 33, I was hit by a drunken motorcyclist *on the bike path*. Ever since then, I have tried a few times to get back on a bike and cannot tolerate the feeling that I'll be slammed out of the blue to the ground. So I ride the recumbent bike at the gym.

A comfort-style bike would be great for around town now, but I am just too fearful of even occasional traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement