Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:36 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And you have a plan for your nearest and dearest when they discover your body? Or are you going to off yourself in a vacant lot somewhere, and be found months later? Whoever discovers your body will be traumatized. Of course you'll be dead and won't care.

We hope to age in place, but who knows what will happen? We are all one catastrophe away from death or disability. The most sensible things to do your house is bathroom remodeling, as you plan to do, eliminating throw rugs as your legs become less reliable, putting rails up on porches and in other areas of your house, and possibly putting ramps into the house. If you live in a two story house, you need to downsize to a one story. Laundry should be on the main level, not in a basement. It is stuff like that that keep you safely in a house.

One good thing to do is to add a doorknob that unlocks with a punch code. That way, you can't ever be locked out. Otherwise, get a rescue key hidden around the outside of your house.
Do you really refuse to talk about things with your family? I have already discussed my plans with my family, and they seem to be good with it. I surely won't spring it on anybody as a surprise.

You can't lock my doors from the outside without a key. That simplifies the problem of being locked out. It's not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Nope, because when you're dead, you're dead. It's a very binary thing. And I won't care one way or another what happens after that.

No es mi problema.

@silibran - In Japan, there are so many elderly people living (and dying) alone that they have an actual word for it. Someone will have to "discover" the body whether you fell over dead of a stroke or decided to try breathing argon. I'm not going to feel bad about it either way. In point of fact, as you noted, I won't be feeling ANYTHING (nor care) because I will be dead.

Like I said. No es mi problema.

If he is, can I get his contact information?
If there is no family member who will deal with your remains, just drop a note in the mail to the local sheriff. They will be by in a couple of days to check the situation. Leave the door unlocked.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Starting from 30,000 feet with my wife in the seat next to me. When the aircraft goes nose first in the ground at 800 knots it’ll be over in a flash.

The house will sit for years until the state takes it due to non payment of real property taxes.
If you die intestate with no heirs, the probate court will settle your estate, pay your bills and put the remaining money in escrow for 7 years. After that, if no claimants appear, it goes to the state.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM

64 posts, read 62,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So if you start at 30,000 feet, how many minutes of terror will you endure as you plunge to the ground?
If you take the right drugs beforehand then the answer is 0.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:14 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I have deleted many posts that give detailed, non-joking instructions on how to commit suicide, as well as posts that quoted those posts. Some members may be depressed and vulnerable. OK to say "I'm gonna off myself." Not OK to give detailed instructions. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Good question. I can help you out on that a little.

We were at just over 10,000 feet in a Huey. Had just put six guys out the side doors for a demonstration jump for the post commander. We were over 10K because stuff got messed up inside and it took me longer to get the guys sorted out so they’d exit one by one out each side, that keeps the balance mostly even. In a helicopter you have to be ascending so you don’t get them into the tail rotor. We were only cleared to 10K by airport flight control because after that you’re in big aircraft airspace. So, flight control is yelling at us because we’re to high and I’m booting there guys out as fast as I can get them out the door. Out our you’re riding back down with us.

Last row go out, I call all jumpers are clear. Newbie copilot dumps the collective. Engine goes into over speed. Over speed govener activates and the engine, the only one we have, flames out. Rotor speed goes over max allowable. Pilot in command takes over get the rotor speed within tolerance and we enter autorotation. The whole air frame shudders like nothing any of us three have ever experienced before.

Pilots initiated an engine relite. I’m ordered to look back to see if we still have a tail rotor, we do. So for nothing falling off.

I know what the shudder was all about. We had a sudden stoppage on the drivetrain system. This means the drivetrain sort of went backwards for a moment. This can cause catastrophic damage and it could only be a matter of time before we have partial or complete failure. We’re dropping so fast our ears are popping.

We get a relite and we’re back under power at about 4,000. Head straight to the pad, we did whole the thing above the airfield.

So, back to your question. You don’t have time to be terrified when you think you’re about to die. You live in the moment.
GOOD HEAVENS. WHAT a STORY. After that experience, anything else is an anticlimax.

OT - Please accept my empathy for the circumstance that you are still in CT. Took me four years to get set up to evacuate with my skin intact. In a better state now (VA). Fall to my knees every morning and kiss the ground that I got out, lol!

Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
The fuss about assisted suicide and our lack of ability to do it just shows how the state has insinuated itself everywhere.

You'd think that your own life is the one and only thing that your truly own, but I guess that just isn't in the cards.

A Roman would think we were crazy.
I just read that the state of MD's House of Delegates just passed a bill that would allow a Doctor to provide the means to take your own life. Has to get past the State Senate, and the Governor, so it probably won't make it to law. I think it should. They seem to have safeguards built into it. Prior to this, it would never get out of committee.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...301-story.html

Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Years ago, my dad told me he was not making some plans because he wouldn't live long enough for them to play out. Now that I'm moving into my last active decade, I see what he meant. I don't plan for 20 years in the future any more, because I will probably be dead.

One of the plans I have made is to age in place. If things work out, they will haul me out of here with a sheet over my face. With that in mind, we have remodeled one bathroom to be handicapped accessible, refinished interior and exterior with materials that won't need maintenance during our lifetimes, and bought a king sized bed that doubles as an invalid bed, with raising head and foot. We can hire a CNA, or even near full time home care, cheaper than assisted living, much less a skilled nursing facility. Just this morning my wife and I were discussing the possibility of plumbing our house for medical oxygen, so the noisy oxygen concentrator could be in the garage, far from the master bedroom. All it would take is some tubing and connectors.

We don't need any of that stuff right now, and may never need it. It's sort of a situational savings account, setting the house up for our inevitable debilitation and death. And that's the optimistic scenario, peacefully drifting off to the end.

[mod cut - detailed instructions on suicide]My state has physician assisted suicide, which requires jumping through several hoops. Even if you follow instructions, most hospitals here are run by the Catholic Church, and any doctor who participates in assisted suicide can lose his hospital privileges. They have this fixation with it greasing your skids into Hell. It's better to avoid the religious bureaucracy. It's easy enough to say your last Good Night on your own terms.

Some people are very lucky. My mother's best friend died between one tick of the clock and the next. They found her on the back porch with her boot laces still in her hands. A quick heart attack, massive stroke, or aneurism and you are gone. Unfortunately, you can't plan for that. My dad hoped for a heart attack, but he died of lung cancer. It took agonizing months. My mother just refused to have the battery in her pacemaker replaced, which was a gentler and more graceful way to go.

I see a lot of people here planning and worrying about retirement. Do you ever plan and worry for when retirement inevitably ends?

Have you told other people what those plans are?
I don't give it much thought although along with my will I have a medical directive and request for cremation. I have not made any instruction to have or not have a service. The service isn't for me but for those I leave behind so if they do or don't want that is their business. If my husband passes first I might update my directives to have my nieces and nephews to take a cruise to dump our ashes along with our dogs ashes at sea. Here in Daytona area they do have companies that do this. I do hope to never enter a nursing home though, but since I don't have children that might happen. Hopefully I will just pass in one fell sweep.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I helped and watched a lot of people die during my 25 years in health care. Some of the deaths were horrendous and I fear that the most. I have a gun and that's always an option if I'm terminally ill with something horrendous like pancreatic cancer or ALS. Would I have the courage to pull the trigger? I don't know. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Having the gun is a comfort because it's an option. Hopefully one I won't have to use. I'm hoping I just don't wake up one morning when I'm really old and tired of living.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have deleted many posts that give detailed, non-joking instructions on how to commit suicide, as well as posts that quoted those posts. Some members may be depressed and vulnerable. OK to say "I'm gonna off myself." Not OK to give detailed instructions. Thanks.
I understand your position, but I spent 5 years working the phones at a suicide prevention hotline. Nobody ever killed themselves because of talking about it. The ones who die are the ones who never say anything.

The means are all around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement