Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Taylor Larrimore from Bogglehead forum is 94 or something(last I looked), has a girl friend even, he’s still sharp enough to write more investment books.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-14-2018 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I have known quite a few. My mother was still sharp it 92. She was still sharp at 95 when she died except for a few times when she went into the hospital. I've noticed that older people when they go into the hospital, usually with infections of some kind, seem to be hit harder.

My mother also never got that old person voice. As for doing anything special diet or health-wise, she had no program. She was, however, always interested and everything going on around her.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:48 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
My sister turned 90 two days ago. She is still quite sharp. She has a PHD, manages her investments.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I have a friend who is 89. She lives alone, cooks and keeps house, and manages 2 rental properties.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
My mom was 92 when she passed, but was still mentally alert. Her father's family lived a long time - 99 and crazy numbers like that! Haven't found one that hit 100 yet though.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Yes. My godmother just turned 93. She doesn't do anything out of the ordinary diet-wise (no fancy supplements, eats a pretty routine modest diet including meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, grains, doesn't need to avoid anything specific). She has always been a busy gardener but now she cares for a few patio potted plants and takes a daily walk. Little to no aches and pains, no arthritis. She reads as much as possible (just notices more eyestrain than before). No cataracts, no chronic health conditions other than mild sleep apnea, is fully alert and independent, drives, manages her day to day affairs but has an accountant for taxes etc. Her hearing is pretty good too. We've talked by phone 2-3 times a month for years so I'd notice major changes. She complains her short term memory is worse, but its pretty minor. Her usual "explanation" for her overall good health tends to be "good genes and gardening."

Old 12-14-2018, 10:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
One of my CA neighbors is 94. Still does yard work, walks to the store, etc. I assume she's mentally sharp, though since we cordially dislike each other we don't speak all that much.

It all came about because of a cat. Her daughter lives around the corner. She had this tortoiseshell cat she'd adopted from the Humane Society. One day she brought home another cat and the tortie did not like that one bit. Then she brought home a dog and the cat said, "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya."

She moved to our house and she's been our cat ever since. We named her Beatrice.

So we were happy, the cat was happy but the neighbor (the now 94 year old one) was decidedly not. She told everyone the cat was a bad cat and not to have anything to do with her or feed her. I don't know what kind of person hopes for an animal to starve to death. Maybe a not-so-mentally-sharp one.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Several of my family members have lived to be over 100, none had alzheimer's but some of them slowed down and had some memory issues. The two that stand out in my mind are my two great aunts who died at 103 and 105. One of them bowled until a few years before she died and was a crossword puzzle whiz and loved to argue just for the sake of arguing. The other was an avid gardener, she lived alone until she died and tended her garden faithfully and had an amazing memory for poetry. She was an avid reader and I loved to discuss books with her, in the last few years of her life she had trouble getting to the library so I regularly had books from Amazon sent to her.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
My wife and I are in our late 80s and know quite a few people over 90, who are stii mentally sharp and live an active lifestyle. About 5 years ago I was visiting with a friend over 80 also, and a man out running for exercise ran up and started to talk to my friend he apparently had known for years.

The runner who looked to be in his early 60s with a hard runners body,asked us if we were gonging to the annual dinner to honor those 100 and older. We both told him we did not know anyone 100 or older. He said we knew him, and as we looked doubtful, he pulled out his drivers license and was 105 years old, still having a drivers license, and running 3 miles every other day. Mentally as sharp as someone half his age. That is the oldest mentally sharp man still running at a pace lots of people half his age could not maintain I have ever met.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
There is a lady in my apartment building in her mid 90's, I forget exactly, but I remember being surprised when she told me. She's very sharp mentally, but complains constantly about her health and pretty much anything else you can think of - a real curmudgeon. But, she's very social. She hangs out in the lobby and chats with whoever will pull up a chair. She also plays poker with a group in the building and participates in any of the social activities in the building.

I avoid her because she's a gossipy old curmudgeon, but my guess is she's still sharp because of a combination of her DNA and being social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement