Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:19 PM

88,423 posts, read 84,520,075 times

Advertisements

One year my younger sister and I got teddy bears in doll carriages. Hers was pink and white, mine was green and white.

I slept with the teddy bear but then I got sick with a stomach virus or something. My mother gave me grape juice and I went back to sleep and woke up puking all over my teddy bear. I can still picture it covered in purple.

Wait, the worst is yet to come, lol. My mother looked at it and said it wasn't washable, so she told my older brother to burn it out in the backyard where we burned the leaves. He did. And then he put its head on a stick and came knocking at my bedroom window and made the burnt head dance up and down.

It's amazing what stays with us 50+ years later. Can't remember where I put my shoes, but I remember that.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:23 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,132,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One year my younger sister and I got teddy bears in doll carriages. Hers was pink and white, mine was green and white.

I slept with the teddy bear but then I got sick with a stomach virus or something. My mother gave me grape juice and I went back to sleep and woke up puking all over my teddy bear. I can still picture it covered in purple.

Wait, the worst is yet to come, lol. My mother looked at it and said it wasn't washable, so she told my older brother to burn it out in the backyard where we burned the leaves. He did. And then he put its head on a stick and came knocking at my bedroom window and made the burnt head dance up and down.

It's amazing what stays with us 50+ years later. Can't remember where I put my shoes, but I remember that.
I laughed. Sorry eh...It was the head dancing on the stick that did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:35 PM

88,423 posts, read 84,520,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's OK. I laughed as I was typing it. My late brother could be a pain in the butt, but he was funny, too.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 PM

14,920 posts, read 12,094,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I couldn't help laughing too. I'm thinking this is one of those stories that isn't funny at the time (especially to a little girl who's new bear is puked on and then burned.) but is funny much later on with the perspective of much time passed.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,167,184 times
I'm sorry, I laughed too.

I remember getting a doll. I don't remember the doll but I remember the plastic basket with all the little things in it, the clothes, the baby bottles etc. Think the reason I remember that so much is Dad took movie pictures of my sister and I coming down the stairs and he panned over to the Christmas tree. Watched that movie many many times.

I feel blessed I did not have awful parents. Some of the stories on here are very sad. My husband has stories like that. Christmas often brings out the worst in people.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 PM

384 posts, read 271,488 times
A singing Cookie Monster doll. Besides that, a See and Say, and a clock in which the numbers from the face represented various shapes.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:43 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,940,059 times
The first Christmas gift I remember getting was when I was four years old, Christmas of 1954. It was a a metal Tonka truck, a replica of a 1954 Ford F100 pickup given to me by my aunt and uncle who were my Godparents. Nothing from my own parents, since my drunk-for-a-Dad's policy is that celebrating any holiday, birthday, etc. was forbidden. I played with that truck for hours on end, as it was my only toy. I was old enough to realize that if I lost or broke that Tonka truck, there would be no replacement. To this day, 64 years later, that Tonka truck holds a place of prominence in my den.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:44 AM

5,240 posts, read 3,597,205 times
I'm just impressed folks can remember things like this, I've never had a good memory & obviously with age it hasn't improved. I can't really remember any specifics like that at all, never could once a number of years had passed.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:07 AM

4,272 posts, read 5,922,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
This is probably from around 1963 or 1964. We'd leave a bottle of coke out for Santa!
Hey! I had that same metal service station, or a nearly identical one, when I was a kid. Yours also had an 'elevator' that raised the cars from the lower level to the roof, right?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 AM

4,272 posts, read 5,922,825 times
This entire thread is both sweet and sad. Sweet for the pleasant memories revealed by others and the memories those posts triggered in my own mind. Sad for the horrific childhoods suffered by too many of the posters. My wife's childhood was no where near as pleasant as my own, but her tales of the abuse she and her siblings had to endure does not compare to some of these stories.

I am glad all of you were able to escape into a happier and productive adulthood, and I have gained a stronger appreciation of my parents and the childhood memories they created for me and my sisters on their near poverty (some years) income.

Happy Holidays to All!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement