Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:06 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'm not sure who Jennifer Lawrence is, probably some celebrity I choose to ignore. Remember, though: girls your age are probably better in bed than she.

My age???????? Hahahahahaha. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:42 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
My wife and I will visit the Netherlands in April. We were supposed to go last year but she was too sick to travel. Bad sinus infection.

I’ll probably go to Wyoming in August. My cousin and his wife moved there last year and I’d like to visit them. I’ll take a short trip over to North Dakota and with that, I will have visited all 50 states.

I’ll continue to work. Things aren’t so good over at Big Paperclip. The stock has been pounded and we’ll divest a bunch of businesses. By early 2020, our shop’s volume will drop an estimated 60% and I expect they’ll offer me an incentive to retire. It’s might be a good idea for them to offer me an NDA also. I’ll make an economic case for that late in the game. Lol

My wife loves her job as much as I love mine. She wants to work until she’s at least 60. That conflicts slightly with my goal to retire and relocate but we’ll find a happy medium at some point. We’re on mother-in-law-passing-watch since it’s doubtful she’ll make it through 2019. Since we support her 100% financially, it’ll ease our financial burden once she passes. That said, we hope she’ll live longer than her doctors expect.

No major expenditures expected this year. We’re in great health for the most part. My wife’s 2013 car only has 60,000 miles and she wants to drive it until she retires. It has a 10-foot paint job. It looks great from 10 feet away. Lol My car is a 2015 with 50,000 miles. Except for one small door ding, it looks brand new.

Man plans, God laughs. May everyone experience joy and good health this year.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My age???????? Hahahahahaha. No.

That is a common unrealistic point of view.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile For me, 2019 started today (in a sense)

Trying to really improve the health - I'm not sick but had an eye opening experience today.

My husband and I got our assessments for our new healthy lifestyle. I'm so glad our son recommended this place. Most people who go there are over 50. Everyone has a personal trainer. You just can't come in and work out.

However, the owner hooked us up to a machine which analyzed every part of our body.
My husband's muscle mass is at 115% which is great (supposed to be 100%) - mine is at 100%.

But, wow, true reality. I have a lot of weight to lose (48) and so does my husband who is just 10 pounds over where he thought he should be.

My husband (per the machine) needs to lose 24. So, now, hubs knows this is important and in 1 month, we go back on the machine to see what has improved.

Both of us do not look like we need to lose that much weight, however, he went into detail about different diseases and cancers because of the weight and not getting the exercise.

My husband has low blood presssure and if he ever went on a tilt ride, he would faint. This machine figured all that out and told the trainer what intensity to be working at with my husband.

I'm going to try and write down what I do every day.

This is Day 1.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
We're doing okay, way better than we thought we'd be at this point, so just hope to maintain.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I made it through 2018 safely, plan to do the same in 2019.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Trying to really improve the health - I'm not sick but had an eye opening experience today.

My husband and I got our assessments for our new healthy lifestyle. I'm so glad our son recommended this place. Most people who go there are over 50. Everyone has a personal trainer. You just can't come in and work out.

However, the owner hooked us up to a machine which analyzed every part of our body.
My husband's muscle mass is at 115% which is great (supposed to be 100%) - mine is at 100%.

But, wow, true reality. I have a lot of weight to lose (48) and so does my husband who is just 10 pounds over where he thought he should be.

My husband (per the machine) needs to lose 24. So, now, hubs knows this is important and in 1 month, we go back on the machine to see what has improved.

Both of us do not look like we need to lose that much weight, however, he went into detail about different diseases and cancers because of the weight and not getting the exercise.

My husband has low blood presssure and if he ever went on a tilt ride, he would faint. This machine figured all that out and told the trainer what intensity to be working at with my husband.

I'm going to try and write down what I do every day.

This is Day 1.
If you haven't read my "weightloss" posts, i did weigh 300 pounds, mostly belly, but fatty upper arms and fatty thighs.

I turned diabetic and had to get serious about losing weight ( im a male only 5'6" tall), and radically changed my diet. I substituted oranges and bananas for sugary snacks, cut out potatoes in any form ( my absolute favorite was potato salad), cut carb exchanges to just 5 or 6, and cut out pasta "quick heat and eat" snack/meals.
The first 30 pounds was easy to lose, probably water weight as i used to drink a bottle every half hour and kept one bedside fir nocturnal thirst.
Over a year i lost 75 pounds. Then i hit a wall.

Im now back to losing finally, down 85 pounds to 215.5pounds, or 97-98 kg. Yay! Im finally under 100 kg!

Now this year that im not quite so self-conscious of ky body, i plan to join a gym. Im looking out for a workout buddy who will keep me honest, keep me going when i "don't feel like it".

That will help further lose poubds i hope but will definitely get this lazy body in better shape.

Im looking forward to it and wish you and hibby tge best!!!

To a new healthy us!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:03 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
2019 will be an interesting year for my wife and I as we are building a house on some land we have been sitting on. The plan was to hold off until we are closer to retirement to build and have a shorter work commute but decided to go for it. Reasons below.

1) Moving to a state in better financial shape than where we are and lower taxes.
2) I have had some health issues and moving closer to my wife's family in the event anything happens to me, the wife would have more support.
3) Get to enjoy the new house and location now and into retirement.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Sounds good to me!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:54 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Hmmm plans for 2019...
I guess contemplate leaving my work of 20 years and take the pension. Or stay and let the pension grow. Any advice??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement