Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,912,142 times

Advertisements

39 years and counting.

Our casual dishes were mostly wedding gifts and we still use them daily. In fact, they are our only dishes.

We have a crystal and silver plate serving bowl we received as a wedding gift that barely sees the light of day. Very pretty but we seldom need it, and when we do have a need we forget we have it.

Probably other items as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:45 PM

157 posts, read 91,163 times
20 years later and we have a Turkey (meat) carving knife and fork my parents gave us. Engraved w/ our last name and wedding date. They get used once or twice a year so still in good shape.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,941,543 times
yes.
married in 1982.

these are the standard ones:
china, photo album, and a blender.

these are the "different" ones:
still have our shares of Apple stock.
some rare Whisky (spelled on bottle).
shotgun. yes, we had a shotgun wedding.

there are more, but they are boring.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times
A waffle iron from the first marriage in 1970.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,549,098 times
I still have my corningware and pyrex and use it regularly. Also one Revere sauce pans.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,177 times
I still have and regularly use several CorningWare and Pyrex gift items, and a mixer, also still have a tablecloth somewhere that I used as a curtain for years.

The eight (that's right, eight!) fondue sets that we were given disappeared many years ago, probably in the landfill.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,333,025 times
I still have most of them, use them and don't plan to give them to any younger relatives. I'll probably keep them forever. I've only gotten rid of a couple of things because I didn't use them.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
My mother in law gave me two sauce ladles and a letter opener engraved with a C, the initial of the name I didn’t take.

That letter opener is used daily for opening mail, cleaning keyboards, many other uses. I adore that thing. I mean, I really use it.

A lot of the gifts are gone, glasses broken that sort of thing, but our flatware was a hope chest buy and we still use it daily. And the sauce paddle are used a lot, even if they don’t exactly match. They are sort of a universal thing — people wouldn’t notice.

Amusingly enough, our flatware was a Betty Crocker catalog buy and my mother in law had EVERYONE saving points for us. Those points saved us a ton of money purchasing the set. So it was kind of a gift...

Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,709,772 times
Oddly enough I still have and wear a robe that my mother gave me for my Trousseau..do people even call it that anymore! I don't wear it often, but it always takes me back..and still fits!!

We returned all our china and miscellaneous pieces since we didn't get enough for a full set, and bought practical stuff. We also got a whiskey decanter and glasses, which I still have, and have NEVER used. I have a silver looking serving piece that a dear friend of my moms gave me. With a note - "don't ever buy silver as it will own you..use this and no one will know." I don't know what it actually is, but it has never tarnished or scratched and we use it all the time. The silver I inherited is in a box in the garage - tarnished and useless. My daughter said she better not be getting it!

The problem I have, as the only daughter, is I also have my mothers full set of wedding china, and her mothers and her aunts. Full complete sets. One dates to 1904. It's hideous, but again my daughter says that none of the stuff (there is a ton) is going to her. And I don't blame her, I have a garage full of my moms "treasures" ...why did people collect decorative plates for the wall? We have about 40, none match, but I remember seeing them in their houses growing up. So planning an estate sale of their old stuff and my stuff that I know she doesn't want. Need to nip the tradition of passing unwanted stuff down.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,331 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I still have my corningware and pyrex and use it regularly. Also one Revere sauce pans.
We donated our old Corningware from our wedding presents of 1974 just last summer. I cannot remember anything else we got that we still have other than a couple of knives from a set. One of the things we got were a fondue set, long gone,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement