Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 AM

557 posts, read 335,843 times

Advertisements

7% drop in one week. Government shutdown, again. In hindsight the worst thing to do in 2008 was panic and sell. Just wait 10 years, and you will be good. I panicked then and moved my 401(k) to one-third cash as an insurance policy against catastrophic failure. Helped me sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 AM

106,019 posts, read 107,996,739 times
down turns have always been part of the cycle .

this is why stocks are a long term investment . all these returns we get all include them over the long haul and all magically end within about 2% of each other in average return .

think about what went through our heads in 1987 when markets fell 26% in one afternoon .

Old 12-22-2018, 02:10 AM

557 posts, read 335,843 times
ATT and Ford dividends are now over 7%.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:23 AM

irrelevant... all that means is while the stock is falling every payment has another 7% taken off the share price deepening the decline of the stock . it is no different than taking the same 7% draw out of a portfolio by selling some shares . that dividend is the company selling a piece of your share price and handing it to you .

a dividend is not like interest . if it was it would be like giving you the interest , but subtracting it off your balance . all interest going forward would be on that lowered balance . interest is on top of principal with no offset in value . dividends are a pocket swap of existing value .

your total return is what counts . that is all your investment is worth .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-22-2018 at 02:38 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 02:25 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,588,650 times
How much making America great again can we stand? Trump likes to take the bows for the stock market when it’s successful let’s see how this con man blames someone else for it’s drop! I’ve never seen such a baby as president. He said he would take the blame for the shut down too. I know he is going to blame the Democrats for something. He has the mind of a child.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:27 AM

any greater and we will all be in he poor house ha ha ha

Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 AM

29,961 posts, read 18,789,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
7% drop in one week. Government shutdown, again. In hindsight the worst thing to do in 2008 was panic and sell. Just wait 10 years, and you will be good. I panicked then and moved my 401(k) to one-third cash as an insurance policy against catastrophic failure. Helped me sleep at night.
You have to be your own judge. I try to balance risk versus max return. Historically, I pulled out a large chunk out of the market right before the 2016 election because everyone said a trump election would destroy the market and I thought he was going to win even though I thought his policies would benefit the economy and market....so I listened to others and it cost me a bit. I ended up getting back in the second day after the election and rode the Trump Bump.

I also got spooked with the impending Blue Wave and pulled a chunk out in September 2018 so I have avoided a good portion of the drop.

All of the above to say, follow good principles of safety and risk management and make your own calls. Also, historically, every time I've listened to "experts", I've done worse than when I've made my own calls.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:29 AM

people have to keep things in perspective too . it is like more aggressive models fell from balances that were so much higher that even in the worst drop would they still likely would be a head of the more conservative models .

with the 17-22% drop from the highs the markets had depending on index , the difference ytd between the fidelity insight 100% equity growth model and the 21% equity conservative income model , is the 100% equity model is down just 4.40% more .

but that is down to a balance , that the conservative model would still have not seen in the best year .

Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,092,075 times
It's never time to panic. Panic only makes you sick, in addition to being broke.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:49 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,734,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You have to be your own judge. I try to balance risk versus max return. Historically, I pulled out a large chunk out of the market right before the 2016 election because everyone said a trump election would destroy the market and I thought he was going to win even though I thought his policies would benefit the economy and market....so I listened to others and it cost me a bit. I ended up getting back in the second day after the election and rode the Trump Bump.

I also got spooked with the impending Blue Wave and pulled a chunk out in September 2018 so I have avoided a good portion of the drop.

All of the above to say, follow good principles of safety and risk management and make your own calls. Also, historically, every time I've listened to "experts", I've done worse than when I've made my own calls.

You're my hero. Seriously. I am so weary of the people who say, "JUST HOLD ON! The market will come back!"

Yeah, I'm 60 years old. Will it take 10 years?

Meanwhile, the "professionals' advice" has been a mess. Just a hot mess. I listened to them in the beginning and had some significant losses. Now I follow my heart, and am doing much better.

I sold out a few weeks ago and am so grateful that I did. I'm hanging on to a few things just for sport, but until the market calms down, I'm staying in CDs.

Helps me sleep at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement