Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I DO refuse to eat canned peas and Lima beans as they make me vomit, Brussels sprouts and shellfish (allergic).
Canned peas are truly vile which probably explains why frozen peas were probably one of the most successful of the frozen foods.

Lima beans have an awful texture.

With both of these even if they are in a soup or stew, there's no hiding from their baleful influence.

I haven't become a picky adult eater, yet. Perhaps, I'm not old enough; I'm not retirement age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I will try anything once! And I am not picky at all. I will pretty much eat anything I can stab with a fork.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Hi

My FIL says he "only eats when really really hungry ", which is probably why he only weighs about 125 pounds.

My father has said he wont eat but 2 times a day.

My OH doesnt like "bird", but will on ocassion eat tge chicken or turkey, only usually if i force the issue ( chix and roasted turkey are my favorites), and has gotten more adamant as my OH has gotten older.

Maybe you are one whose "food cannot touch each other"?

Thats what started this thread- i had a meatloaf, mashed tater and gravy, and corn for lunch/dinner- and i mixed the corn with the mashed potatoes and ate tyem together ( its all going to be mixed together at its destination after all)

So have you gotten more picky about eating as you aged?

I'm 65 and NO! If anything, more open and adventurous I am also snobbier about food. I grew up in a working class family, we ate pretty well, considering. We were never "short of food". My father was born in Sweden and at Christmas we used a lot of Swedish foods. My mom was born in the UK and we ate thse fods too Deserts were especially good.

On Christmas eve, we had many Scandinavian delights. Christmas day, more Scotch Irish and English.

My mother's sister married an Italian from Italy, so I grew up with good Italian food.

As I have aged, I am not at all finicky. I never was. But, now, I actively, explore and look for new and unusual foods.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
I’m not picky, I’ll eat just about anything. As far as number of meals/day, I’d actually prefer 2, a small breakfast and a larger meal about the 2:30 -3:30 time frame. My wife prefers the standard 3 meals/day so we have that about half the time. We’re both retired.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Default Seniors: have you gotten to be a "finicky" eater as you aged???

No, not generally.

That said, now (at age 70) I have begun turning down BBQ. I finally realized this year that really I just don't like it, never have and never will. I was just eating it without complaining because I thought I ought to like it (but I don't). You can't say I didn't give it a chance.

But overall, I eat the same foods I always did, just in smaller amounts.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:48 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I was a much pickier eater when I was young. What I'm waiting for now as I get older, is to only take a couple of bites before feeling full. But somehow (given all the crap I ate yesterday), I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
I'm not finicky, but my stomach sure is! I used to be able to eat anything/everything, but now find my digestive system is getting more and more sensitive....but also confusing. Some nights I can have pizza, no problem, other times it's like an inferno in my stomach! Things like cereal and fruit used to be no problem...now, well, we won't go into that! And again, some times no issue at all! Just another fun part of getting older, I guess!

Old 12-23-2018, 02:39 PM

554 posts, read 745,177 times
As kids, my brothers and I were made to eat whatever Mom cooked; whatever we got on our plates. There were many, many evenings when I, or a brother, would be required to sit at the table, with his plated meal, until we’d eaten enough of it to satisfy Mom’s or Dad’s judgment.
Truthfully, they were both raised in semi-poverty, during the Great Depression, and learned the value of having something to eat, at all. They instilled that “value” in all 4 of their sons.
To this day, I’m happy to eat small portions of ugly leftovers that no one else wants (from the ‘fridge), providing they’re still edible. And, having spent time in the military, I became used to my peas touching my salad, touching my corn, and the meat & gravy running over onto other parts of the meal, too.
Now, these days, my meals are fairly light, with the main meal being Lunch. DW still likes to have her 3 meals, but eats less since she retired.

But, no, I wouldn’t classify myself as a ‘finicky’ eater ...

Old 12-23-2018, 03:26 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Hi

My FIL says he "only eats when really really hungry ", which is probably why he only weighs about 125 pounds.

My father has said he wont eat but 2 times a day.

My OH doesnt like "bird", but will on ocassion eat tge chicken or turkey, only usually if i force the issue ( chix and roasted turkey are my favorites), and has gotten more adamant as my OH has gotten older.

Maybe you are one whose "food cannot touch each other"?

Thats what started this thread- i had a meatloaf, mashed tater and gravy, and corn for lunch/dinner- and i mixed the corn with the mashed potatoes and ate tyem together ( its all going to be mixed together at its destination after all)

So have you gotten more picky about eating as you aged?

I have always been finicky. I am adventurous about trying new things, but I have standards about texture. I probably have 2047 food rules. Number 19 is the corn cannot be mixed in with the potatoes!

Certain things are allowed to touch. Turkey can touch both potatoes and gravy. Bread cannot touch gravy or potatoes. Stuffing is damp bread and not allowed on my plate. Wild rice stuffing is great, but must not touch gravy. Pizza cannot be eaten except when it's still hot from the oven. Once the cheese starts to lose it's ooze I won't touch it. Reheated it's disgusting.

Hot foods must be eaten hot. That is how I decide what to eat first on my plate. Sandwiches must be eaten at the time of assembly, not later in the day. I don't eat as much as I used to. I think restaurants should serve smaller portions.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
No, just can't eat hot food like Mexican ...jalapenos. But that was cuz I ruined my insides living
in TX in the '70s and ate those little red pepinos?
-Shouldn't drink alcohol in the evening cuz it changes my sleeping cycle.

Otherwise I'm basically still a camper...give me coffee, cold next day with dirt in it...fine with me.
WhatdoIcare.

I do eat organically big time...I don't need hormones, antibiotics or
GMOs with pesticides in my liver...I mean come on.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 12-23-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement