U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,508,597 times

Advertisements

Having shingles a second time is the point....do you want to go through that again? No??

Then do the only thing you can....get an injection and hope for the best, like the rest of us. If you do get shingles again, the vaccination hopefully will reduce symptoms.

QUOTE=Roselvr;54686018]There are 2 other threads in the health section. I'll post links and an article someone posted.

This thread is locked there's a lot of info in it Your Shingrix experience (no vaccine bashing!)

I still have to check this 2nd one out New shingles vaccine - Shingrix

article posted in the 1st link
Shingrix vs. Zostavax: How do Various Shingles Vaccines Stack Up?

my reply

Some history I have to get the vaccine and am petrified of side effects so thanks for all of the threads!
I had shingles at age 51 (I'm 54 now). It was on my eye lid where my eye lashes are. They were worried I'd lose my sight. Very painful head/eye ache. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out.

My body is the same way with reactions; I have weird reactions to everything. My pain management doctor didn't believe me as I was 3rd year seeing her and 12 years with another doctor who tried just about everything. I swear she used to chuckle as I told her about my reactions. She'd say that's not even listed as a side effect!

So I took an antidepressant that made me break out in tears. She then had me take Lyrica, I'd already tried Neurontin with my other doctor. She started me on the lowest dose or what she told me was the lowest.. After a week I felt like I had acid going thru my veins on my left side. I don't know if it was nerve pain or what but would you believe it took a year to get rid of the side effect? With Neurontin I lost my mind. I went to DMV with my son and forgot why I was there. He said you're holding the paperwork in your hand lol That took a year to even out. I used to be able to take morphine until she prescribed an extended release one that closed my throat. Needless to say my PM doctor now won't change my meds.

I also can't take steroids. I was seeing another GP because mine was busy. I see a university doctor (both GP and PM) I told the student that I can't take steroids. She got the head doctor who laughed in my face saying there's no way anyone is allergic to steroids. I humored her, ended up with an ulcerated esophagus. I'll never see that teacher doctor again, have her name written down in case I forget her name.

Even though it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and it lingered; bad head and eye aches, stabbing in my eye. I still am thinking of whether should or should not get the vaccine. I'm screwed if I do or if I don't...[/quote]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM

14,098 posts, read 23,461,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Having shingles a second time is the point....do you want to go through that again? No??

Then do the only thing you can....get an injection and hope for the best, like the rest of us. If you do get shingles again, the vaccination hopefully will reduce symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There are 2 other threads in the health section. I'll post links and an article someone posted.

This thread is locked there's a lot of info in it Your Shingrix experience (no vaccine bashing!)

I still have to check this 2nd one out New shingles vaccine - Shingrix

article posted in the 1st link
Shingrix vs. Zostavax: How do Various Shingles Vaccines Stack Up?

my reply

Some history I have to get the vaccine and am petrified of side effects so thanks for all of the threads!
I had shingles at age 51 (I'm 54 now). It was on my eye lid where my eye lashes are. They were worried I'd lose my sight. Very painful head/eye ache. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out.

My body is the same way with reactions; I have weird reactions to everything. My pain management doctor didn't believe me as I was 3rd year seeing her and 12 years with another doctor who tried just about everything. I swear she used to chuckle as I told her about my reactions. She'd say that's not even listed as a side effect!

So I took an antidepressant that made me break out in tears. She then had me take Lyrica, I'd already tried Neurontin with my other doctor. She started me on the lowest dose or what she told me was the lowest.. After a week I felt like I had acid going thru my veins on my left side. I don't know if it was nerve pain or what but would you believe it took a year to get rid of the side effect? With Neurontin I lost my mind. I went to DMV with my son and forgot why I was there. He said you're holding the paperwork in your hand lol That took a year to even out. I used to be able to take morphine until she prescribed an extended release one that closed my throat. Needless to say my PM doctor now won't change my meds.

I also can't take steroids. I was seeing another GP because mine was busy. I see a university doctor (both GP and PM) I told the student that I can't take steroids. She got the head doctor who laughed in my face saying there's no way anyone is allergic to steroids. I humored her, ended up with an ulcerated esophagus. I'll never see that teacher doctor again, have her name written down in case I forget her name.

Even though it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and it lingered; bad head and eye aches, stabbing in my eye. I still am thinking of whether should or should not get the vaccine. I'm screwed if I do or if I don't...

But everything I'm reading says it's pretty rare to get shingles a 2nd time. I'm still debating if I should chance the vaccine. I would be one of the rare cases of long term vaccine injury due to the way my body responds to medications in general

Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM
mlb

4,041 posts, read 3,329,394 times
Both my husband and I got the first shot BEFORE we moved to California. In our doctor's office. No side effects whatsoever.

We moved and I knew we had a small timeframe to get the second dose - but I was inbetween insurances (turned 65 and applied for Medicare).

Used the Shingrix tracker https://www.shingrix.com/shingles-vaccine-locator.html and found it at our local Walmart Pharmacy. Spouse would be free (he's still on my work insurance) I would need to copay - but I was OK with that because getting shingles is not an option and it certainly isn't free.

I had a sore arm and was tired with the 2nd shot.

My spouse ran a fever, felt really achy and sick. He developed what I would call a "pox" on his hand and I was ready to take him to Urgent care for the anti-virals..... but the pharmacy said that was not from the injection.

I really wanted him to be covered more than me - also he needs the pneumonia vaccine - because he's undergoing back surgery in a month....and I want him protected - as much as possible.

I'm glad it's done and over.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,060,281 times
I got the first dose of the new vaccine Wednesday, been home with flu symptoms since.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,508,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
But everything I'm reading says it's pretty rare to get shingles a 2nd time. I'm still debating if I should chance the vaccine. I would be one of the rare cases of long term vaccine injury due to the way my body responds to medications in general

If my MD recommends the vaccine after having had shingles I'll do it. I know people who've had it more than once...hopefully my reaction to shingles would be reduced due to the vaccine.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 PM

22,327 posts, read 21,417,057 times
People might want to report their side effects.

If you experience side effects from Shingrix, you should report them to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Your doctor might file this report, or you can do it yourself through the VAERS website, or by calling 1-800-822-7967.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

It seems to be effective for at least four years and at 89% or more. I never want to get shingles after seeing what a relative went through. But it's up to the individual.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM

27,243 posts, read 17,618,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I got the first dose of the new vaccine Wednesday, been home with flu symptoms since.
People have reported feeling washed out after the second shot. I wonder if your flu like symptoms are the flu?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,060,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
People have reported feeling washed out after the second shot. I wonder if your flu like symptoms are the flu?
No flu, thankfully, this afternoon I started to come out of that washed out / fatigue feeling.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 PM

6,237 posts, read 10,151,535 times
Thank heavens I don't have those strange reactions that make some wonder whether to get the vaccination. Having been a redhead, I do have a few paradoxical drug reactions. My health care people seem to accept and adjust to it.

I woke up at 3 AM (nearly posted in the Insomniacs thread). At that time, I felt much the same as the day before. Clear-headed, with quite a sore arm. Went back to bed and woke up again around 7:30. This time just borderline foggy-headed. Enough that I decided to indulge in a don't-bother-to-dress-or-go-out day. By now (evening) I'm down to having just a tiny bit of the skin-all-tingly thing that I expect from having my immune system messed with. And my arm is now much less sore.

So I was lucky - minimal reaction to my second dose.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:15 PM

5,663 posts, read 9,276,674 times
Default No shot - have you know anyone who didn't have the shots?

How did they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement