U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 1,598 times

Advertisements

I had the first shot last Tuesday. My arm was very sore for about 4 days, and I experienced mild fatigue for a couple of days. I was afraid to get the shot after reading about the side effects. But now I'm fine with getting the second shot in a couple of months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 10:41 AM

3,220 posts, read 4,253,110 times
I was in the local CVS the other day when I noticed they were advertising Flu shots, which I had already received earlier this winter at work. I asked about the Shingles vaccine and put my wife and I on the waiting list. We are names #12 and #13 on their list. The Pharmacist said it typically arrives in batches of 10 injections, so we likely will be waiting a month or more.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM

578 posts, read 740,975 times
The day after the second shot my arm was pretty sore and my joints were almost flu-like achy. Day 2 arm still sore, but less. Also noticed a red rash. Day 3 rash is now pink, so its fading. Arm is only sore if I touch the spot.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Get the shingrix shot and put on steel roof to be extra safe.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:50 PM

25 posts, read 18,749 times
Husband and I both had dose #1 and dose #2 of Shingrix. I had a worse time of it. Flu like symptoms. 2nd dose was the worst and actually had to call in sick to work. Agree with others who say it's hard to find the vaccine and had to keep calling / put on a wait list.
Better than getting Shingles!

Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM

27,269 posts, read 17,642,790 times
I got lucky. My insurance recommended CVS, but I couldn’t get it without a long wait. On impulse, I asked at Walgreens, and even though it was slightly more expensive, I grabbed the first one there. I happened to be in Walgreens one day, weeks later, and I asked if they had one for me and they did!

But it is hard to locate the shot. I tried at Walgreens with no success before I got lucky with the second shot.

I agree that I do not want to suffer with a bout of Shingles.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 AM

32,134 posts, read 50,387,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
I had the old one when I turned 60, and when this one came out I was back at my doctor signing up for Shingrix. First shot I had sore arm (like a bee sting red spot) for a couple days and felt "off" like I was coming down with something for 24 hours afterwards. Ice and Tylenol helped. Second shot I was "waiting" for the scenario to happen again and it didn't~not sure if it was different arm or different pharmacist, but no reactions at all. I

called around one day, and the first place that said they had some, I said I'd be there in 20 minutes and dashed. Did the same thing 3 months later and got lucky again on the 4th try. Some places will take your name and call you when it comes in (my local Costco offered to do this for me when I called).

I've seen many people suffer miserably with shingles, so it's a scare tactic that I took seriously. Had a walloping case of chicken pox as a kid and didn't want to have a bad case of shingles. The pharmacist and my NP both said this is a great vaccine with a 90-95% effectiveness rate.
Our Costco was going to charge lot more for this new vaccine than CVS which is what our drug plan is allied with as the “better choice”
If anyone is calling around about this vaccine they should also check what the price would be—
Because I think it is not the same at every supplier...

Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen H View Post
Husband and I both had dose #1 and dose #2 of Shingrix. I had a worse time of it. Flu like symptoms. 2nd dose was the worst and actually had to call in sick to work. Agree with others who say it's hard to find the vaccine and had to keep calling / put on a wait list.
Better than getting Shingles!
Not going to say not to get the new version but I am 70 and had shingles about 15 yrs ago after I retired from teaching—a very stressful year for me—and had a bad case...luckily no recurrent/lingering nerve inflammation

When I asked my doctor at my physical in 18 if it was worth it to get the newer version which was in short supply vs the older version he said that there was only about 3% MORE effectiveness from the newer vaccine’s use...
in HIS opinion that was not really a significant upgrade from the older version

And the double dose of the new Shingrix is really just the same dose twice—nothing different in 2
So I don’t understand why there is such a problem w/the second dose being available

Am I wrong that there is no difference in ingredients or % between Shingrix 1 and 2???

I need to have my Shingles updated
And guess I will call around about availability for Shingrix but I wonder if this isn’t more about marketing a drug/vaccine that has a copyright and make more money for the drug company than being a “lot more effective” than the earlier version which I believe has fallen out of copyright...

Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 AM

344 posts, read 158,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not going to say not to get the new version but I am 70 and had shingles about 15 yrs ago after I retired from teaching—a very stressful year for me—and had a bad case...luckily no recurrent/lingering nerve inflammation

When I asked my doctor at my physical in 18 if it was worth it to get the newer version which was in short supply vs the older version he said that there was only about 3% MORE effectiveness from the newer vaccine’s use...
in HIS opinion that was not really a significant upgrade from the older version

I need to have my Shingles updated
And guess I will call around about availability for Shingrix but I wonder if this isn’t more about marketing a drug/vaccine that has a copyright and make more money for the drug company than being a “lot more effective” than the earlier version which I believe has fallen out of copyright...
Here is what the clinical studies have shown (ZVL class is Zostavax, and RZL class is Shingrix):

In clinical trials ZVL recipients had a 51% overall reduction in shingles and less severe illness when shingles did occur compared with placebo recipients. ZVL efficacy was inversely related to age; efficacy was 70% among persons 50-59 years of age, 64% among persons 60-69 years of age and 38% among persons 70 years and older. Protection against shingles declined over time after vaccination. By 6 years after vaccination protection declined to less than 35%.
RZV was studied in 2 pre-licensure clinical trials. Efficacy against shingles was 97% for persons 50-59 years of age, 97% for persons 60-69 years of age, and 91% for persons 70 years and older. Among persons 70 years and older vaccine efficacy was 85% 4 years after vaccination.

Not sure where your doctor got his facts.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Thanks for that info
My husband and I got our Shingrix 1 today at CVS
We both had to pay about 60 bucks a shot
I thought it would have been cheaper

I had shingles about 15 yrs ago
Had chicken pox when I was about 7
And had the ZVL vaccine about 5-6 yrs ago so knew I needed a booster shot

For anyone who is wanting either 1 or 2
I used a link that someone posted on this thread I think that is the drug mfg’s site
There is zip code locator for pharmacy with available vaccines
There were plenty w/in a 15 mi radius
And the pharmacy tec confirmed that there is no difference between 1 and 2 composition
You get two doses of the same vaccine between 2-6 mo apart

We plugged our 2 months into our phone calendar
CVS said they did not keep a waiting list—
And yes—the vaccines are shipped 10 to a box
Girl said they got 5 boxes their last shipment
She was surprised to hear the drug mfg has a search link to show available pharmacies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement