U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM

13,699 posts, read 16,539,845 times

Advertisements

The first one I had a couple of days of not feeling so great, queasiness, and wanted to sleep a lot, and had a BIG local reaction where it was injected, with redness and swelling and pain.

The second one I had all the above but with much less of a local reaction.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 1,440,427 times
If anyone lives in Texas, HEB pharmacies have been getting a lot more of the Shingrix vaccine than CVS has.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM

32,128 posts, read 50,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
If anyone lives in Texas, HEB pharmacies have been getting a lot more of the Shingrix vaccine than CVS has.
There are no HEB’s in my area—DFW
And as I said you can google Shingrix mfg and get a zip code search to see which ones in your area have the vaccines

My arm was more sore last night than my husband said his was
I felt uncomfortable, chilly—like maybe getting cold/flu but today had none of that but arm was still a little sore

So not too bad

Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,265,273 times
If you have to pay out of pocket ~ try GoodRx.com for coupons. I had to pay and submit for my 1st one, and the pharmacist was able to process the second one directly through my insurance.

They are the same shot, given 2x. Maybe the 1st one provides some immunity to the effects of the 2nd (at least in my case it did).

Old 02-23-2019, 06:57 PM

So got shot on Wed about 1pm and it is Sat night—
My arm is sore at injection site but moving it doesn’t cause the reaction the first couple of days had==I felt a little sore/achy the first day—took hot shower before bed and two Advil
Overall I would say this was not as bad as a flu vaccine or extended dose antibiotic that is the thick serum

Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 PM

11,123 posts, read 8,837,525 times
I posted on this in the Health forum. I'd never previously had any reaction any vaccinations, ever. But both Shingrix shots knocked me on my butt.
Still worth it.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I posted on this in the Health forum. I'd never previously had any reaction any vaccinations, ever. But both Shingrix shots knocked me on my butt.
Still worth it.
You are right
I had shingles—what I thought was a bad case at the time but no lingering nerve problems
I would never want to have it return

Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 PM

22,245 posts, read 15,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Did you have any problems?
I'm still undecided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I'm still waiting for the second dose. Its been almost a year since my wife and I got the first dose but our pharmacy is only getting a small supply so we have to keep waiting.
According to the CDC, you have to start over. You're supposed to take the doses within 6 months to be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Here is what the clinical studies have shown (ZVL class is Zostavax, and RZL class is Shingrix):

In clinical trials ZVL recipients had a 51% overall reduction in shingles and less severe illness when shingles did occur compared with placebo recipients. ZVL efficacy was inversely related to age; efficacy was 70% among persons 50-59 years of age, 64% among persons 60-69 years of age and 38% among persons 70 years and older. Protection against shingles declined over time after vaccination. By 6 years after vaccination protection declined to less than 35%.
RZV was studied in 2 pre-licensure clinical trials. Efficacy against shingles was 97% for persons 50-59 years of age, 97% for persons 60-69 years of age, and 91% for persons 70 years and older. Among persons 70 years and older vaccine efficacy was 85% 4 years after vaccination.

Not sure where your doctor got his facts.
According to the CDC, Shigrinx is the preferred vaccine.

Zostavax is barely effective. It's truly a coin-toss as to whether it will work.

Zostavax also wears off and becomes less effective over time.

Worse than that, people have reported getting shingles from Zostavax. I don't believe anyone has made that claim for Shingrix.

According to Harvard, as of 2008, which was more than 10 years ago, Merck admitted that 241 people contracted shingles from Zostavax.

I will avoid Zostavx like the plague.

Shigrinx, I'm up in the air about.

The chance of shingles is actually quite small. I also suspect it's largely based on genetics.

Everyone in my hyper-extended family has had chicken pox, but not one has ever had shingles. I've noticed that in un-related families, where one has shingles, they've said that one or both parents and/or grand-parents or great-grandparents also had shingles.

The studies also show that people who have one or more herpes virus, and there are many types of herpes virus, such as the one that causes cold sores, are much more likely to get shingles. Note that shingles is just another herpes virus.

Some people might be more susceptible than others, and if family members have it, or you have issues with any of the variants of the herpes virus, you might want to give Shingrix more serious consideration.

At this time, I just don't know. I'm seeing my primary care physician in May, and I'll ask about it then.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 PM

26,460 posts, read 44,510,973 times
I had the Shingle Shot that requires two doses. It's been a couple of months or so that I completed the shots. I took them when my doctor recommended them. I had no complications...

I had some relatives and people I knew who had shingles, they did not believe in the shots (or the shots did not exist)...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM

342 posts, read 158,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Shigrinx, I'm up in the air about.

The chance of shingles is actually quite small. I also suspect it's largely based on genetics.

Everyone in my hyper-extended family has had chicken pox, but not one has ever had shingles. I've noticed that in un-related families, where one has shingles, they've said that one or both parents and/or grand-parents or great-grandparents also had shingles.

The studies also show that people who have one or more herpes virus, and there are many types of herpes virus, such as the one that causes cold sores, are much more likely to get shingles. Note that shingles is just another herpes virus.

Some people might be more susceptible than others, and if family members have it, or you have issues with any of the variants of the herpes virus, you might want to give Shingrix more serious consideration.

At this time, I just don't know. I'm seeing my primary care physician in May, and I'll ask about it then.
Obviously, it is a personal decision for everyone. My reason for getting it, without any family history of shingles, and doing the chicken pox thing when I was young, was if there is a chance to mitigate the chance of getting it, why would I not? Would I have gotten it? Will never know, although there is still a small chance. But I would have hated to not do the vaccination, get the shingles, be miserable, and play the "shoulda-coulda" game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement