U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM

28,142 posts, read 31,583,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
According to the CDC, you have to start over. You're supposed to take the doses within 6 months to be effective.
Not true. Do your best to get the second dose no later than 6 months after the first, but if it is delayed you do not start over.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

"You and patients should make every effort to ensure that two doses are administered within the recommended interval. If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose, administer the second dose as soon as possible. Do not restart the vaccine series, and do not substitute Zostavax® (zoster vaccine live) for the second dose of Shingrix. If you are out of Shingrix and a patient needs a second dose, the Vaccine Finder may be helpful for patients to locate other providers that have Shingrix."

Quote:
According to the CDC, Shigrinx is the preferred vaccine.
Yes.

Quote:
Zostavax is barely effective. It's truly a coin-toss as to whether it will work.
It's about 60% effective. That does not mean it was not worth taking.

Quote:
Zostavax also wears off and becomes less effective over time.
Had Shingrix not come along the solution to waning effectiveness would have been a booster.

Quote:
Worse than that, people have reported getting shingles from Zostavax. I don't believe anyone has made that claim for Shingrix.

According to Harvard, as of 2008, which was more than 10 years ago, Merck admitted that 241 people contracted shingles from Zostavax.
Link?

In order to have shingles from Zostavax you would probably have to be immunodeficient, which would be a contradiction to taking a live vaccine. I can find only one case of shingles from the vaccine strain in an immunocompetent person. In order to prove that the vaccine virus caused shingles the strain of the virus present during the shingles episode would have to be determined.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967828/

Shingrix contains no live virus. Therefore, it does not cause the latent infection that can lead to shingles later.

Quote:
Shingrix, I'm up in the air about.

The chance of shingles is actually quite small. I also suspect it's largely based on genetics.

Everyone in my hyper-extended family has had chicken pox, but not one has ever had shingles. I've noticed that in un-related families, where one has shingles, they've said that one or both parents and/or grand-parents or great-grandparents also had shingles.

The studies also show that people who have one or more herpes virus, and there are many types of herpes virus, such as the one that causes cold sores, are much more likely to get shingles. Note that shingles is just another herpes virus.

Some people might be more susceptible than others, and if family members have it, or you have issues with any of the variants of the herpes virus, you might want to give Shingrix more serious consideration.

At this time, I just don't know. I'm seeing my primary care physician in May, and I'll ask about it then.
The lifetime risk of getting shingles is about one in three, which is not "quite small".

Certainly there might be genetic factors that reduce the risk of getting shingles. However, I would not count on the absence of a family history of shingles to be 100% protective.

Source for the statement in bold, please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 PM

7,134 posts, read 3,654,657 times
I was skeptical of needing a shingles vax but then an acquaintance got it and has had severe complications and horrible pain. That scared the heck out of me and I signed up for Shingrix. There is a 13% chance of getting PHN (the bad nerve pain after shingles) but given the severity that PHN can be, I don't want to take the chance.

Wait list is pretty long at the moment, where I live, for Shingrix.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,819 times
I got the first dose in June 2018 and the second in August 2018. Walgreens did not have the shot when I wanted to get it done in August so I have to call around and found a small pharmacy about 30 miles from me that had it--so I jumped on that. No problems but the day after each I was very tired.
I believe it is totally worth getting it.

Last edited by CindyRoos; 02-27-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:34 PM

32,128 posts, read 50,375,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I was skeptical of needing a shingles vax but then an acquaintance got it and has had severe complications and horrible pain. That scared the heck out of me and I signed up for Shingrix. There is a 13% chance of getting PHN (the bad nerve pain after shingles) but given the severity that PHN can be, I don't want to take the chance.

Did you use the search feature to check areas that might be littler farther away but reasonable distance?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 PM

27,249 posts, read 17,624,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm still undecided.

Shigrinx, I'm up in the air about.

The chance of shingles is actually quite small. I also suspect it's largely based on genetics.

Everyone in my hyper-extended family has had chicken pox, but not one has ever had shingles. I've noticed that in un-related families, where one has shingles, they've said that one or both parents and/or grand-parents or great-grandparents also had shingles.

The studies also show that people who have one or more herpes virus, and there are many types of herpes virus, such as the one that causes cold sores, are much more likely to get shingles. Note that shingles is just another herpes virus.

Some people might be more susceptible than others, and if family members have it, or you have issues with any of the variants of the herpes virus, you might want to give Shingrix more serious consideration.

At this time, I just don't know. I'm seeing my primary care physician in May, and I'll ask about it then.
I think your idea about shingles running in families might be incorrect. Of course my evidence is as anecdotal as yours, but my dad did have shingles and no one else in my family has. My dad never, ever complained about pain. But he told me that his bout with shingle was the worst pain he had ever had. He got it after his system was weakened, with pulmonary fibrosis, if memory serves.

I've had both Zostavax and the Shingrix. I really do not want to get Shingles and I am being proactive by getting them. We elders also need a yearly flu shot and a pneumonia shot. This is my opinion. You are welcome to yours, of course.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 877,190 times
I had the shot yesterday and felt nothing the rest of the day. Took one Advil just in case.

This morning, there is a little tenderness around the area if I gently press down but otherwise I would not be aware of any feeling at all. My body feels no different but I did take another Advil.

I think I have a pretty strong immune system if that affects a reaction. However, I was thrilled to get the Shingrix vaccine as I have seen people really suffer, especially on their faces and threaten their eyesight. Nothing I want to take a chance on.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM

27,249 posts, read 17,624,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I had the shot yesterday and felt nothing the rest of the day. Took one Advil just in case.

This morning, there is a little tenderness around the area if I gently press down but otherwise I would not be aware of any feeling at all. My body feels no different but I did take another Advil.

I think I have a pretty strong immune system if that affects a reaction. However, I was thrilled to get the Shingrix vaccine as I have seen people really suffer, especially on their faces and threaten their eyesight. Nothing I want to take a chance on.
If this is the first of two, then you might have a reaction to the second. Or not.

Good for you for taking action.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM

1,528 posts, read 877,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If this is the first of two, then you might have a reaction to the second. Or not.

Good for you for taking action.
Yes, I have heard sometimes there is a reaction for #2 and will be ready. Totally worth it for me.

I practically jumped into the chair for the vaccine as I was so eager after being on a list for months. The pharmacist said she gets the same reaction from many people as so many have seen others suffer.

It does seem that the people I knew came down with shingles after a period of stress or illness which can happen at anytime to anyone.

Glad you also had the vaccine. Hopefully one less thing to worry about!

Old 03-06-2019, 03:21 PM

28,142 posts, read 31,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you wait longer than six months for the second dose, I believe you need to start over. At least, that's what our paperwork implies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There is a time line
If you wait too long between 1 and 2 then you have to start over
It is basically the same ingredients from what my doctor (who also has a pharmacy degree) said
So I don’t know what the big deal is about being out of dose 2
No, you do not have to start over. Also, you should not be given the older Zostavax vaccine instead of the second dose.

The two doses are exactly the same. The first dose primes the immune system; the second increases the effectiveness.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

"Q: How long should I wait after giving the first dose of Shingrix to give the second dose?
A: You should give the second dose of Shingrix 2 to 6 months after you gave the first dose.
Q: What should I do if a patient waits longer than 6 months to get the second dose?
A: You should give the second dose as soon as possible. However, you do not need to restart the vaccine series."

Old 03-06-2019, 04:02 PM

17,253 posts, read 10,456,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

To me it seems like a no-brainer - people get the flu shot to avoid 4-5 days in bed - and they do that annually.

Why would you NOT get Shingrix to prevent more than a decade of something potentially so much more painful and debilitating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement