U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM

6,078 posts, read 13,942,090 times

Advertisements

I had both doses, no problems other than soreness for a day or so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM

262 posts, read 156,515 times
Does anyone known if Aetna covers this? Is it based on age? (I had Shingles when I was 24, resulted in a corneal ulcer which affects my vision to this day. Would like to not go through that again.)

Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 AM

28,130 posts, read 31,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Does anyone known if Aetna covers this? Is it based on age? (I had Shingles when I was 24, resulted in a corneal ulcer which affects my vision to this day. Would like to not go through that again.)
If you are under 50 years old insurance may not pay. That is the minimum age for which it is recommended.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 PM

27,248 posts, read 17,624,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
I think you should ask your doc. If he were to write a prescription based on your past bout with shingles. Perhaps your insurance might cover it.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 AM

262 posts, read 156,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you are under 50 years old insurance may not pay. That is the minimum age for which it is recommended.
Thanks. I'm 55 so maybe it will be covered. (I think I'll get it regardless but it would be nice if it was covered. )

Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM

6,237 posts, read 10,152,419 times
We could get it, covered, at our regular clinic - for around $200. Or, we could get it at a Costco or CVS pharmacy for around $50. If it's covered, still ask how much of it is covered.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:28 PM

25,268 posts, read 14,222,161 times
Got original dose, but dad and sis had shingles - so hope can get to the two pack.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,640,848 times
I have been trying to look up how the shingles vaccine (both the older one and the new two part one) reduce your chances of getting shingles. I came across this confusing paragraph on a Cleveland Clinic website.

"Shingles affects one out of every three people in the United States. More than one million cases of shingles are diagnosed every year. The risk of shingles increases as you get older, and about half of the cases occur in men and women ages 50 and older. Shingles develops in about 10 percent of people who have had chickenpox at an earlier time in their life." (italics mine)

Old 03-09-2019, 09:26 PM

28,130 posts, read 31,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have been trying to look up how the shingles vaccine (both the older one and the new two part one) reduce your chances of getting shingles. I came across this confusing paragraph on a Cleveland Clinic website.

"Shingles affects one out of every three people in the United States. More than one million cases of shingles are diagnosed every year. The risk of shingles increases as you get older, and about half of the cases occur in men and women ages 50 and older. Shingles develops in about 10 percent of people who have had chickenpox at an earlier time in their life." (italics mine)
I agree that the wording is self contradictory. Here is what the CDC says.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/cli...l#epidemiology

"A person’s risk for herpes zoster increases sharply after 50 years of age. Almost 1 out of 3 people in the United States will develop herpes zoster during their lifetime."

"Approximately 13% (and possibly more) of people 60 years of age and older with herpes zoster will get PHN [postherpetic neuralgia]."

I have no idea where the 10% figure is coming from.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

431 posts, read 345,565 times
Just going thru facial shingles. Got it last Saturday, my whole left side was affected. I will definitely get vaccine, but heard about some bad CDC reported side effects.? Have to research it.

Somebody said that HEB in TX carry more vaccines than other pharmacy. It's true, no waiting list here by my place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement