U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,456,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
Somebody said that HEB in TX carry more vaccines than other pharmacy. It's true, no waiting list here by my place.
I'm the one who posted about HEB. Just got my second vaccine on Friday at an HEB in San Antonio. The nearby CVS where I usually fill my prescriptions only gets tiny shipments - a few a week - and uses them up immediately. I was on a waiting list for months at the CVS. The HEB seems to have plenty.

No effects at all from the second vaccine - no soreness, no feeling crummy. The first one was surprisingly painful for several days. Maybe the pharmacist hit a muscle the first time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,032,970 times
My first Shingrix vaccination was surprisingly painful also. In addition to being painful, I did not feel well a day or 2 after the second vaccination, and called off work for a day.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM

27,380 posts, read 17,755,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My first Shingrix vaccination was surprisingly painful also. In addition to being painful, I did not feel well a day or 2 after the second vaccination, and called off work for a day.
This was my experience as well.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM

3,575 posts, read 1,674,092 times
just checked with my local pharmacy - 170 people on the waiting list. Guess I will hold off for a while.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM

6,240 posts, read 10,174,082 times
Here's a thing: The CVS pharmacy where I got my first Shingrix vaccination just now phoned me and asked if I still needed the second. When I replied 'yes', they said they had some in so come on over! So it seems that the pharmacies are aware of the shortages and are working to accommodate people the best they can. Good job, CVS!

Here's a potential surprise. I don't know whether it's my Part D or Part B which covers the vaccination. I've changed both since I had my first shot. I'll be curious to find out how much I get to pay for this second one.

Follow-up: When I arrived, they had everything all ready. All I needed to do was to fill in the short questionnaire. It cost $40 for this dose (compared to $50 for the first dose).

Last edited by oddstray; 03-14-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM

28,561 posts, read 31,787,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Here's a thing: The CVS pharmacy where I got my first Shingrix vaccination just now phoned me and asked if I still needed the second. When I replied 'yes', they said they had some in so come on over! So it seems that the pharmacies are aware of the shortages and are working to accommodate people the best they can. Good job, CVS!

Here's a potential surprise. I don't know whether it's my Part D or Part B which covers the vaccination. I've changed both since I had my first shot. I'll be curious to find out how much I get to pay for this second one.
It's Part D.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 PM

22,518 posts, read 21,550,723 times
Yesterday I called and reported the side effects from the second shot. I feel that people should know that they may not be capable of much for the following day or two. It does warn you on the paperwork, but I don't know if people read that. I didn't bother reading it before I got the shot.

I'm thinking that it must be way under reported because people are getting shots at CVS like I did, not at the doctor's office. There's an online form you can fill in rather than calling.

I had a very sore arm but I don't care about that. It was the fact that I was so weak, tired, and achy for two days afterward. If I'd had any plans, I would have had to cancel them.

Now I remember dh getting his second shot--he just sat in a chair for two days, complaining about being tired and sore all over. Neither one of us had any effects from the first shot.

I'm still glad we both got the shingles shot--to me it's a little bit like when they first came out with the polio shot--both are dreaded diseases that can hit at any time.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,567,464 times
Had the first shot today...just arm soreness, nothing more...

2nd will be interesting based on what others said...in 2-6 months. I've already had shingles but this is supposed to decrease symptoms if I get it again.

It was $165 but I'm just starting on paying deductible for Part D....

BTW....I just happened to ask the tech at the drive through window if there were any available...happy when he said yes. Just call or visit to find when your store has them.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,567,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
Just going thru facial shingles. Got it last Saturday, my whole left side was affected. I will definitely get vaccine, but heard about some bad CDC reported side effects.? Have to research it.

Somebody said that HEB in TX carry more vaccines than other pharmacy. It's true, no waiting list here by my place.

Sorry you have it...so painful. I had only a sore arm after the first injection....

Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM

14,387 posts, read 23,613,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have been trying to look up how the shingles vaccine (both the older one and the new two part one) reduce your chances of getting shingles. I came across this confusing paragraph on a Cleveland Clinic website.

"Shingles affects one out of every three people in the United States. More than one million cases of shingles are diagnosed every year. The risk of shingles increases as you get older, and about half of the cases occur in men and women ages 50 and older. Shingles develops in about 10 percent of people who have had chickenpox at an earlier time in their life." (italics mine)
There are 2 other threads in the health section. I'll post links and an article someone posted.

This thread is locked there's a lot of info in it Your Shingrix experience (no vaccine bashing!)

I still have to check this 2nd one out New shingles vaccine - Shingrix

article posted in the 1st link
Shingrix vs. Zostavax: How do Various Shingles Vaccines Stack Up?
Quote:
Zoster is not generally a fatal condition. However, if it spreads along a nerve leading to the eye it can cause blindness in that eye. Its main medical symptom though is pain. The pain associated with herpes-zoster can be intense and debilitating. While the pain usually subsides after 3-4 weeks, in some people it can turn into a chronic pain syndrome called post-herpetic neuralgia, which you should not wish on your worst enemy.

... With the development of the varicella vaccine, this has changed somewhat. Even people who were vaccinated against varicella as a child have a risk of developing herpes-zoster because traces of the virus remain in the system after vaccination. However, the risk is much lower than people who were infected by the actual varicella-zoster virus.

Now a new vaccine for herpes zoster, called Shingrix, has been approved. Unlike Zostavax it is an inactivated recombinant vaccine. Inactivated vaccines are different than live attenuated vaccines in that they contain killed virus.... Its efficacy is also measurably better than its predecessor. It reduced rates of herpes zoster from 9.1 to 0.3 cases per 1000 people. This means that for every 38 people vaccinated, you prevent one episode of zoster, which is an improvement from before.

Also, because shingles can strike twice, albeit rarely
, those who have had a previous episode should also consider getting vaccinated.
my reply
Quote:
Thanks so much for the article. I've given too much reps in 24 hours so am not able to rep anyone.

A few things stick out to me. The vaccine isn't that effective to begin with. They say for every 38 people vaccinated it actually prevents one case and that it's rare for shingles to strike someone twice. I think I'm going to hold off on it because I would be the one that has the lasting side effect because my health is bad to begin with having chronic pain issues. I surely don't need any more chronic pain on top of what I already have. It almost took out my eye, so this is going to be something on my mind but for now I'm go nna hold off...

I'm on medicare and Horizon medigap for insurance, I'll be shocked if neither covers it.
Some history I have to get the vaccine and am petrified of side effects so thanks for all of the threads!
I had shingles at age 51 (I'm 54 now). It was on my right forehead, eyebrow, and eye lid where my eye lashes are. They were worried I'd lose my sight. Very painful head/eye ache. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out.

My body is weird with reactions; I have weird reactions to everything. My pain management doctor didn't believe me as I was 3rd year seeing her and 12 years with another doctor who tried just about everything. I swear she used to chuckle as I told her about my reactions. She'd say that's not even listed as a side effect!

So I took an antidepressant that made me break out in tears. She then had me take Lyrica, I'd already tried Neurontin with my other doctor. She started me on the lowest dose or what she told me was the lowest.. After a week I felt like I had acid going thru my veins on my left side. I don't know if it was nerve pain or what but would you believe it took a year to get rid of the side effect? With Neurontin I lost my mind. I went to DMV with my son and forgot why I was there. He said you're holding the paperwork in your hand lol That took a year to even out. I used to be able to take morphine until she prescribed an extended release one that closed my throat. Needless to say my PM doctor now won't change my meds.

I also can't take steroids. I was seeing another GP because mine was busy. I see a university doctor (both GP and PM) I told the student that I can't take steroids. She got the head doctor who laughed in my face saying there's no way anyone is allergic to steroids. I humored her, ended up with an ulcerated esophagus. I'll never see that teacher doctor again, have her name written down in case I forget her name.

Even though it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and it lingered; bad head and eye aches, stabbing in my eye. I still am thinking of whether should or should not get the vaccine. I'm screwed if I do or if I don't...

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-15-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement