U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM

683 posts, read 372,951 times

Advertisements

Did you have any problems?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM

29,518 posts, read 36,044,345 times
I had the older one...not the new one that requires two doses. They are still out of the second dose here so until that shortage is resolved, I won’t bother with it. My BF got the first dose only.

Neither of us has had any issues at all.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 AM

6,237 posts, read 10,154,740 times
I had my first dose of the Shingrix, and DH got his second dose. I felt just a bit 'off' the next day, and my shoulder was sore where I was injected. DH said he felt like that after his first dose. He had a much more pronounced reaction to the second dose. He was uncomfortably 'flu-ish' for the next day or two. But that went away, and it was nothing like the pain that comes with shingles.

Our biggest problem was finding it. It's apparently made of unobtainium. DH phoned each week for over a month until our local pharmacy said, "Yeah, we have it. Get over here!"

Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Thank you. I heard its hard to find now so maybe we'll wait till everyone has it. Thank you again.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:54 AM

578 posts, read 740,975 times
I'm still waiting for the second dose. Its been almost a year since my wife and I got the first dose but our pharmacy is only getting a small supply so we have to keep waiting.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM

792 posts, read 477,363 times
I got the 2-shot series of Shingrex a few months ago at 59 (the new vaccine). Although the shots themselves weren't painful at all, I had about 3 days of flu-like symptoms after each. Just felt overall crappy with joint pain. It is a series of two doses, administered 4-6 weeks apart. The pharmacist told me there would be no side effects. But when I began to feel crappy the next day, I Googled Shingrex (which you should also do), and saw this reaction was very common and was warned about. Stupid pharmacist!

If you don't have to go to work and can stay home, this would be just a minor inconvenience. But having to go to work feeling like this was... unpleasant.

Still, I don't regret getting it because I had shingles ~4 years ago and man-alive, was it horrible! I still suffer some ongoing nerve pain where the pox were. That is ever-so-slowly diminishing, usually occurring if I get hot and/or sweaty. So no matter how unpleasant the vaccine was, it couldn't begin to touch the nightmare that is shingles.

(Shingles... The gift that keeps on giving.)

That said, I do know a couple of people that had the Shingrex vaccine and didn't suffer the side effects I did. So I'm sure there's a huge spectrum of reactions to Shingrex. Zostavax (the first vaccine) did not have this issue and it was a one-and-done shot. However Shingrex is proven to be far more effective and protects at least twice as long.

So buck up and just do it. Believe me, it's worth whatever minor side effects you may suffer (if any).

Last edited by BijouBaby; 02-04-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,491,053 times
I got my second dose of the new version. No issues, other than a little soreness at the shot site for a day or so afterwards.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I'm still waiting for the second dose. Its been almost a year since my wife and I got the first dose but our pharmacy is only getting a small supply so we have to keep waiting.
I hope you find it soon.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM

4,312 posts, read 2,149,250 times
I had the two dose version. I was on the waiting list for my second dose but each time I went to the grocery store I’d check in with the pharmacy until one morning they had just got a few in and since I was there I got my shot. No problems reaction wise.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM

7,134 posts, read 3,656,643 times
There is a whole long thread on this topic around here, so you might want to find it and read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement