Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:24 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,556,632 times

Advertisements

So I started looking at the food I eat and came to find out my diet is severely low in foods that provide iron. Ironically, or not, I went out with my little pal, my dog later that day and fell face down in the snow. Soft landing. Today, I went out with my little pal my dog and slipped on the ice and fell on my backside. Very hard landing. So, besides taking iron and vitamin supplements, I am thinking my best bet is fortified cereal. If you get the right kind it has even more than a daily dosage of it and its sweet and easy. I just can't get myself to eat a bunch of meat these days. Anybody got any good ideas? No, I am not meaning a bullet in the brain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,728 posts, read 18,073,030 times
What did your doctor say? Is your iron low enough that you need liquid supplements to get the levels up, or is it just barely low and you can just kind of work on a better diet?

And I'm sorry - maybe I missed it - is there a correlation between your low iron levels and falling in the snow?

Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What did your doctor say? Is your iron low enough that you need liquid supplements to get the levels up, or is it just barely low and you can just kind of work on a better diet?

And I'm sorry - maybe I missed it - is there a correlation between your low iron levels and falling in the snow?

Irony.

I had to read it three times to get it.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,125,705 times
^^^ Sure am glad we ironed that out.

No a big meat eater? No problem! Dark chocolate has iron. Also, strawberries and most nuts. I'm thinking an ice cream sundae with dark chocolate might just do the trick. Unless, of course, you're just dying to have some liver.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
Legumes like beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, and soybeans are loaded with irons. Remind to make some dish with these legumes soon.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:12 AM

6,784 posts, read 5,509,601 times
Iron helps the blood carry oxygen.

Three words:

Broccoli, quinoa, and spinach are all good for iron

No need to meet the meat for ironing out your iron problem, pun intended. Lol.

Broccoli is also a "free food" for diabetics. One can eat as much as one wants if diabetic.

And raw spinach is delicious!!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:55 AM

5,461 posts, read 4,079,118 times
Don't forget cooking in cast iron (if you are able, I know the pans are heavy). My iron levels are OK when I use cast iron; the times I am without it, iron levels go down.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,279,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Don't forget cooking in cast iron (if you are able, I know the pans are heavy). My iron levels are OK when I use cast iron; the times I am without it, iron levels go down.
This is a great suggestion. I'm post-menopausal but borderline low iron used to be an issue. I'm practically vegetarian but now they LOVE my hemoglobin levels at the blood bank and I'm sure it helps that I do all my cooking in cast iron. My diet includes a lot of beans and veggies, too.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,611,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
So I started looking at the food I eat and came to find out my diet is severely low in foods that provide iron. Ironically, or not, I went out with my little pal, my dog later that day and fell face down in the snow. Soft landing. Today, I went out with my little pal my dog and slipped on the ice and fell on my backside. Very hard landing. So, besides taking iron and vitamin supplements, I am thinking my best bet is fortified cereal. If you get the right kind it has even more than a daily dosage of it and its sweet and easy. I just can't get myself to eat a bunch of meat these days. Anybody got any good ideas? No, I am not meaning a bullet in the brain!
You need to get your levels checked. I thought my issue was iron but it's vitamin D.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,530,508 times
Geritol!

https://youtu.be/FYDl9PFX3Yc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement