Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,105 times

Advertisements

For all of us living SOTE (south of the equator)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
It's so frickin' HOT here and the humidity is it's highest this time of year, LOL. 90+ every day.

Next winter we'll be in Spain to have some lower temps. I hear it's like SoCal, Mediterranean climate.

We are barely south of the equator, just a smidge.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
S&S, to get relief from the coastal heat and humidity, you could take a short trip up to the higher elevation places in Ecuador, Peru or Colombia. I've been to Guayaquil in the hot weather season (Jan-April) and it felt like the Atlantic or Gulf coast of the southeastern USA in summer. The place I really like is south of Medellin, Colombia in the coffee growing region (Armenia, Pereira, Manizales) with near perfect temps year round. No AC or heating needed, can open the windows at home almost every day of the year.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:01 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,105 times
75 going down to 67 tonight with 69% humidity here on the Pacific Ocean!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Point well taken.

I think people sometimes forget (or were never aware) that the Southern Hemisphere is opposite the Northern Hemisphere.

The northing point for us is the Summer Solstice, but the southing point and Winter Solstice for those in the Southern Hemisphere.

And, all because the Earth got clocked by a giant object 4.5 Billion years ago.

The force of impact tilted Earth, and left Earth with two wobbles, one causing Earth to move from 21° to 24° off the vertical and back over a period of about 41,000 years and the other causing a 10" wobble (ten seconds of arc with 60" being 1' of arc and 60' being 1° of arc) each year.

That also results in the Precession of Equinoxes, which lasts about 25,390 years or so (yes, it varies, too, because of the 10" wobble).

So, from Time-Point Aries through all 12 Constellations back to Aries is 25,390 years.

This is the Age of Pisces, so you have the fish motif everywhere. Before that was Aries the Ram, and you can see motifs of the Ram and Bull engaged in combat -- the Ram pushing the Bull out of the way. Before that was Taurus, so the bull motif was everywhere and before that Gemini, so no surprise of the Twins motif everywhere. Archeologists excavated Jericho showing occupation around 9,000 BCE, and the buildings had frescoes of crabs. That would signify the Age of Cancer. According to the Sumerians, the Deluge occurred during the Age of Leo, and two monuments were erected to memorialize it, a sphinx in the image of a lion in the land of Magan (Egypt to the Sumerians) gazing at the other, which was probably in India, although it could have been on the Saudi Peninsula.

I imagine Earth would be kind of boring if that hadn't happened.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
75 going down to 67 tonight with 69% humidity here on the Pacific Ocean!
Really? On the ocean? I'll have to look up Miraflores.

Yes, I could go up into the Andes for relief, but having done that, I'd rather go to Europe, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement