Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times

Advertisements

We recently downsized and moved to a town just over the bridge from where I grew up. It is a convenient area and has great access to everything. I enjoy being able to walk to many things and am doing a lot less driving. My spouse has many years to go until retirement so I don't know if this will be where we actually both retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,209,926 times
nope. grew up in western NY and didn't like it then. Left for college, then moved to PA. When I thought about where to retire, I considered Maine but stayed in PA.

I feel more at home here than where I grew up.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,669 times
No...forced out of my childhood digs in my 30s as a result of the Southern migration that headed North that resulted in murders, robbery, burglary and associated crimes.

Retired to Florida, got tired of the endless Summer and moved to the mountains of WNC,
Serenity Now!

Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 AM

327 posts, read 456,248 times
Fascinating discussion. I grew up in Los Angeles but can't imagine retiring there, because it's gotten so expensive. My elderly mother still lives there and intends to live out her days there - she's from Boston originally but would never retire there.

I moved to Long Island about a decade ago. I do NOT want to retire here, either, but I think a lot depends on where my daughter moves to when she's done with school. I'm partial to the Carolinas but open to other possibilities. I like the idea of somewhere warm and inexpensive, with lots of relatively new/modern housing available, and an economy that's not primarily geared towards tourism (low wage work) and servicing old people. I'm middle aged now, but when I'm old I'd like to be somewhere that younger family members can enjoy, making a good living and finding fun things to do.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
Born in Chicago in 1956. After we married we stayed until 1987. In 1987 we Moved to central Wisconsin and that is where we will stay.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Born in Chicago in 1956. After we married we stayed until 1987. In 1987 we Moved to central Wisconsin and that is where we will stay.
I had to google Kronenwetter..... being a native of Madison and not knowing where that is..

You ARE in the middle of the state

And not far from Wausau either. Do you have a large enough village to take care of your retail needs? Or do you have to drive into Wausau for that....

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
I've owned five houses in my lifetime. Four of them were located in a town 17 miles east from the one I grew up in. The fifth (current/final/retirement) house is 25 miles from the house I grew up in. It's also 14 miles from the town where my previous four houses were.

I live on Long Island where the main differences between towns are the school districts (which determines most of one's property taxes) and the size of the average property/house. The town I grew up in was built post-war and is filled with small cape cods and ranches on 1/4 acre lots. The other towns are further east where the average lot size ranges from 1/3 to 1/2 acre and houses from 2000 to 4000 sq ft. I would have liked to have lived in one of the towns where the minimum lot size is 1 or even 2 acres but those were always way over my/our budget in both house cost and property taxes. Those tiny capes in my childhood home town are all now more than $10K/yr in taxes, for example.

Although I would never want to move away from Long Island, I'd also never want to retire in the town I grew up in either. It's not that it "went bad" or anything, just that the houses are too close together for my liking. It also lacks any kind of character and is basically your "meh, nothing special" suburban community. Not bad, not great.

My personal feeling is that if I can stand at any of my property lines, throw a stone, and hit the side of any neighbor's house ... the houses are too close together. And I am NOT Babe Ruth by any means, lol

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 05-22-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Since I lived in 6 states under the age of 15, I didn't actually "grow up" in any one area. I did not stay in the state I finished high school and first went to college in, at any rate. I've lived in Oregon and Washington for almost 40 years.

Retired in-state but much smaller cities (first a rural area, which was too small and then a smaller town).
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-23-2019, 06:32 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I had to google Kronenwetter..... being a native of Madison and not knowing where that is..

You ARE in the middle of the state

And not far from Wausau either. Do you have a large enough village to take care of your retail needs? Or do you have to drive into Wausau for that....
Kronenwetter is actually the same zip code as Mosinee. There are some grocery stores in the area. Where I work near Rib Mountain the area has tons of retail.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Did you retire in the same state or even the same town that you grew up in? If you didn't, how did you end up where you landed?

I lived in many states growing up and when I retired, I moved to a place I never lived before. We used to come here when I was a kid and I fell in love with it back then. And it had been calling me all my life. When I told people I was moving here, they asked if I had a job or if I knew people. When I said no to both questions, they asked me why I was moving here. I gave them the strangest answer: "Because I WANT to!" Never regretted it.
Like you, I lived all over the country and world for most of my life. I hated moving so much and always wanted a home and roots somewhere. Eventually I came to New Orleans for a job that happened to open up for me here, and when I retired ten years ago I just stayed here. (I had only been here once for a few days in 1955 so like a lot of places where I have lived, I was a complete stranger to this location until I moved here for that job.)

I have thought of moving away, and will if I need to for any reason. But right now, I don't see any reason to move and my intention is to stay put for the rest of my life. New Orleans is not a perfect place, but finally I have a home, and roots, and there's a lot to be said for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement