Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 AM

137 posts, read 249,115 times

Advertisements

Purchased a new Hearing Aid from Costco KS 7.0. Advised the s/person my main concern was TV and phone.
Had two consultations already and no progress. Almost impossible to make out what is being said on TV...the sound is fine just cannot make out the wording 80% of the time. Actually it is a little clearer w/o the aids.
They are totally useless when it comes to phone conversations...cell or landline. Almost no sound at all.
I keep taking them out when the phone rings or I have to make a call...ridiculous.
When I complaint to the sales person at Costco I was told it takes a while for the brain to get used to it and every hearing loss is different. He added (programmed) the TV program into my unit but did not help.
My neighbor has a Costco Aid and it works fine.....
I am tired of driving 2 hours roundtrip to hear the same thing from Costco. I believe they are not properly programmed but cannot convince the sales person. Might have to return them...very disappointed.
Wondering if anybody else had the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 AM
ogg

19 posts, read 18,615 times
Sorry you're having so many issues with your Aids. I've had mine for almost a year now and have not had any problems. No adjustments required were after the initial fitting. I use the remote PhoneClip+ thingy to handle different situations, but nothings going to work like the real thing and there are conditions where I am not able to control background noise or a persons vocal range (usually female) falls into a band where I'm just not able to pick up enough to sort it out. Using the bluetooth really helps with TV, Laptop and phones, trying to listen to them without bluetooth (and through the Aids) is really problematic as the Aids are trying to modify sound that has already been modified and shifted around - and it usually sounds like crap.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:22 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Co-worker was having similar problems with his Costco hearing aids. The store reps were very accommodating in trying to make them work for him, but multiple adjustments yielded no improvement. He finally gave up and bought a set of Beltone's during a recent sale. Moderate increase in price (Sale and other discounts) accompanied the big increase in usability.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Take them back
Costco has excellent return policy

Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Take them back
Costco has excellent return policy
And then go to an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor or a company that specializes in hearing aids... someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Did u get a audiologist's diagnosis of why your hearing is bad so you know what range needs help

Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Did u get a audiologist's diagnosis of why your hearing is bad so you know what range needs help
You know, I was wondering about that. If you cant hear and you buy a hearing aid and it doesn't work for you, how do you know it's not working?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I think you have to have audiologist diagnosis before you can buy any hearing aid.

One thing people don't realize is no hearing aid is going to restore normal hearing. It's just not gonna happen. And it is true you have to "program" your brain to work well with the aids. I should wear mine more often but I'm lazy I guess.

In any event Costco enjoys a great reputation for hearing aids as well as service. Are you seeing the head honcho there? Maybe you need a new test?

Regarding TV. We have been using TV Ears for many years. The normal hearing person does not have to be subjected to the sound level required by the hard of hearing viewer. My husband hears just fine but we both use TV Ears so our teenaged daughters at the nearby computer don't hear what we are watching.

Also sometimes I even wear my aids and TV Ears at the same time. This is when I figure I'll be called on to speak or have a conversation with somebody.

My problem is the phone. I hear better on the phone with my right ear and since I'm right handed I can't hold the phone and write at the same time. Even putting on speaker phone is a problem. It's gotten to the point I dread phone calls.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You know, I was wondering about that. If you cant hear and you buy a hearing aid and it doesn't work for you, how do you know it's not working?

I have a hearing disability I am not deaf. I am trying to increase the ability to hear TV and Phone much better..... that's what Hearing Aids are for.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, I went to the audiologist and showed him the info, quite a few pages. The sales person just glanced at it and said that is what we are showing.
I then walked around at Costco with and aid and I could hear their TV ( for sale) just fine.
I was excited and agreed to purchase at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement