Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm not quite 70, but I'll answer anyway if you don't mind. I would love to grow mine out natural, but it looks like crap when the gray shows a lot--the texture is wiry and barely even looks like hair, more like gray chicken fuzz or something. So, I do still color it, but in a soft color which compliments my skin color. I do leave a tiny bit of gray on my temples, as I like that a little bit, and it looks natural.

Ack, I just noticed that I typed compliments rather than complements, and it's too late to edit it, so I'm editing myself here...just can't help myself. Sorry for the interruption, carry on. And, yes, chicken fuzz is exactly what it looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wow, I never heard of anyone over 75 still having his or her natural dark hair! Your mom was lucky!

(Btw, interesting answers from everyone so far! Thanks!)
My grandmother still had some dark hair in back on her 80th birthday. My mom didn't go completely gray until her late 70s. I am 71 and have salt and pepper - about 50/50.

The only time I colored my hair was an experiment in high school... trying to make my very dark brown hair black.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Once a week I use Just for Men Control GX shampoo just to keep a touch of color and not be 100% grey.

I'm still working and I like a little bit of color still but it's about 80% grey at this point.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 PM

21,545 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Once a week I use Just for Men Control GX shampoo just to keep a touch of color and not be 100% grey.

I'm still working and I like a little bit of color still but it's about 80% grey at this point.
I've always wondered why these products are only for men.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I am 72 and I chose not to color my hair after some coloring I did and had done in my twenties. My natural color was a sort of dark reddish blonde. My hair is blonde now, with a white patch or two, with the original dark blonde color still present in the back, close to the neckline.

I have never been this light blonde before. It took me a long time to understand what my reddish hair was doing. Redheads often go blonde before going white. When I looked into my mirror I blamed the lighting. I thought I was surely going gray, even though my hair looked blonde.

At any rate I’ve saved us thousands of dollars not coloring my hair. And I've saved myself hours of time and aggravation.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 PM

25 posts, read 19,671 times
At the age of 62 I decided to forego hair coloring and go natural. I got tired of spending money on coloring every 2 months. I mainly colored it when I worked or was looking for work. Now that I am retired, no reason to color it any longer. My hair is still mainly brown, but the gray is creeping in quickly, but I don't mind gray hair and can think of other things to spend my money on.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
A dear friend always said she would never go gray. She had her hair done to a soft blonde and still had it that way when she died in her late 80's. She always looked great.

Another friend stopped coloring hair when she was 70. It looked awful, washed out all the color in her face. She aged at least 10 years when she decided to go gray.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am 72 and I chose not to color my hair after some coloring I did and had done in my twenties. My natural color was a sort of dark reddish blonde. My hair is blonde now, with a white patch or two, with the original dark blonde color still present in the back, close to the neckline.

I have never been this light blonde before. It took me a long time to understand what my reddish hair was doing. Redheads often go blonde before going white. When I looked into my mirror I blamed the lighting. I thought I was surely going gray, even though my hair looked blonde. . . ..
I read somewhere the myth that true redheads don't go grey until they go white.

Hah!

I was a redwoods-bark redhead. My younger brother was a classic strawberry blond. My youngest sister was a copper-penny redhead.

I just started seeing grey, and for a while used a six-week red rinse to camouflage the grey. I eventually got tired of doing it and just let the grey come. I'm now grey - once in a while, in the right sunlight, a red cast will show up.

My brother just went lighter, and lighter, and lighter, and now has white hair. So he was the example that supports the rule.

My sister went to different colors in blotches. Not unattractive, but not like anything I'd seen anywhere else. I haven't actually seen her for a number of years, so I don't know what her hair looks like now.

(My three older siblings were Scandinavian blondes.)

Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 AM

16 posts, read 14,378 times
Stopped at 52, one outbreak of hives on my face and ears from an unknown reason (possibly a new haircolor when they stopped making my trusted one) had me hang up my hair coloring spurs. HIVES HURT!

When they stopped making my trusted hair color I stopped. Now brown and white, and I can't say I like the look esp still sporting hair that goes to the middle of my back, but I know its healthier. Im not trying to land a lover, my life is mine and I have always lived by the moto, if you don't like it, don't look at it. I am content and chemical free. (Also went to extremes making changes in body soap etc. Feel MUCH healthier)

Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
I'm 75 and after years of coloring my hair, 3 years ago decided to go for a "more natural" look.

I have low lights put in the shade of my original color which is light brown. The effect I'm going for is to look as though I'm just starting to turn grey.

It's been at least 15 years since I began having my color done professionally rather than doing it myself but as I told my husband there are certain expenses associated with growing older. (I save in other ways).

I would not hesitate to go all grey if I had a pretty natural shade. It appears to me that people whose original color was very dark tend to go grey more attractively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement