Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

Cable tv isn't available where I live I use an antenna to get local channels and IPTV to get other channels streaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Go buy a Roku Ultra. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Live. done. Forget the shows you are beholden to now. You will find new ones and after a couple of months will forget those shows you used to watch. Not worth the $$$ or channel flipping.

We did this years ago and are saving over $150 per month. Then we started paying ourselves and instead put that savings into a mutual fund for years now.

Best decision we ever made. Absolutely no regrets.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You need to see what kind of channels your location is capable of receiving before you buy the antenna. Check out antennaweb.com.
A lot of channels but it was grainy. Plus I don’t want any ugly antenna over the roof either. Just indoor Antenna.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM

615 posts, read 340,440 times
For what it is worth …...you really should try out a number of different antennas, amplified and non-amplified, before throwing in the towel on over-the-air TV. We moved to a fairly low populated area and we get 30 OTA channels. We did try 4 different antennas, one pulled in only 5 or 6 no matter how positioned. For us, a basic amplified RCA model ($29) positioned just right in a window close to the TV is able to pull in all the channels that are listed on a number of different OTA finding websites. One local station has added 4 channels in the past year. OTA stations are paying attention to the trend in cord cutting and adding channels.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I have never had cable TV service in my life. 12 years ago when we moved across country, we figured the old TV was unlikely to survive, so we sold it at a garage sale and have not owned a television set since, either. Sometimes we check a movie out from the library and watch it on the computer.

We have filled our lives with other activities.

I strongly recommend that you consider this option. Participating in the most typical current entertainment choices is a CHOICE not a necessity.

Unfortunately I can't expand on this subject any more here on City-Data.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
And how did this drivel (and from others too) add to the thread and the OPs question? For all the useful & engaging stuff you opine on, you sure spend a lot of time posting...
For some reason, those who choose not to watch TV feel an overwhelming compulsion to boast a it. This happens all the time on the TV forum. I liken it to someone coming too a cat forum to talk a out how they dislike cats then proceed to talk about dogs or vice versa.

I never understood the reason for this behavior. I guess what they don't understand is watching TV is not mandatory it's a choice. So either watching or not watching TV is fine but honestly no one cares either way.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
For what it is worth …...you really should try out a number of different antennas, amplified and non-amplified, before throwing in the towel on over-the-air TV. We moved to a fairly low populated area and we get 30 OTA channels. We did try 4 different antennas, one pulled in only 5 or 6 no matter how positioned. For us, a basic amplified RCA model ($29) positioned just right in a window close to the TV is able to pull in all the channels that are listed on a number of different OTA finding websites. One local station has added 4 channels in the past year. OTA stations are paying attention to the trend in cord cutting and adding channels.
Actually, I don’t want anymore knick knack in my house. I’m trying to get rid of things.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Stopped DTV back before it got bought by ATT. Movies on TV are unwatchable for me because of the pop-unders, editing, and constant breaks. Because of location, I only get a handful of OTA channels, and most have dropouts at times, but with a tivo there is enough for basic needs. Acorn and Britbox allow access to British programming, which in many ways is superior to U.S. programs (which are often clones of the Brit shows). I also watch a lot of DVDs and even VHS that I recorded ages ago.

One of the tip-offs for me that I needed to dump Directv was that I was spending more time channel surfing and trying to find something to watch than actually being successful at finding and enjoying anything.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
We never had cable anywhere or anytime.

Can’t miss something you never wanted in the first place!

Regular TV channels are all but nonexistent. It would be nice to receive a news station but other than that, Oh, well.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Smart boy or girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Today I received my new AT&T bill and it jumped nearly $100 to $228.27 and I am ticked!

Yes, I had a two year contract that just ran out but there is no way I am going to spend that much on internet and cable television every month.

And I don't get anything special... no HBO, Showtime or anything else just straight cable television.

So... looking to cut the cord and my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?

I can get high speed internet with download speeds up to 100 Mbps for less than $40.

I bought two Amazon firesticks today and I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

$228.27 is insane. Just nuts.

Anyone else use Fire Sticks?

PS Thanks for letting me vent.... $228 is over half a car payment and that's nuts.... grumble... grumble....

Internet with a Smart TV is the way to go. Network TV is transmitted line-of-sight and the FCC requires every station to transmit a companion digital signal. Digital antennas cost about $20-$30. If you are lucky enough to be "in-of-sight" of network TV transmitters (you are on top of a higher bldg or a hill) then buy a digital antenna, plug it into your home TV and an electrical outlet and get the network offerings (grimace). I had HULU and NETFLIX but cancelled them and moved to Amazon Prime and YouTube. Youtube is free. My monthly cost is $58. Never used Fire Sticks. Are they Wi-FI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement