Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
As you need an MLS to be a librarian and when I graduated from college I just needed a job fast - I took a government job, soul killing, horrible pressure - gave me bleeding ulcers.
Years later, I finally was able to go to night school to go for that Masters, while still keeping my day job, at age 50 I got it.

Early retirement was offered at the "soul killer" job so I grabbed it and was able to find a part time job at a local college library.
I never had such a wonderful job - I didn't think there was such a thing. One thing - the assnt director was on sabbatical - I didn't think much of that so I was a happy as a pig in a mud pile for a year - until she came back.
Ugh! The nice Director retired and she took his job - terrible. How can one person be so great and the other one be so vile.
After a year of suffering I just quit and did volunteer work for a local museum and golldangit - if the same thing didn't happen again - wonderful volunteer coordinator was forced out for an out of state young twit who was an officious bureaucrat - all the volunteers just quit.
Ugh.

Why are there so many miserable bosses out there - they make everyone so unhappy and hate to go to work.
Sorry if I deviated a bit from the original topic -...just had to get that out.
P.S. No more libraries for me - I've heard similar from other librarians. You just think they are dream places to work - no they are not - tons of backbiting and jealousy.
I am the OP and appreciate all the comments. I so agree with this post. What made the sweat shop government job so stressful was that perfection was the minimum standard. I was "exempt" and it was expected that I put in 50+ hours per week and felt like I was on a choke collar with the General Manager. I was an "outstanding" employee but it was killing my health. Now I work for peanuts for a non-profit and the people are nice to me and I joke in my head, "will work for compliments" as long as the people are nice I am staying. If I ended up with a miserable, demanding boss again I am out of there! Who your boss is determines so much about how happy you are with your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 05:41 PM

One more quick comment. I love living in a 55+ community. At ages 58 and 61 we are like the new "teenage" couple. I don't feel older living here but feel younger. Love the pools, the great walking trails, the quiet atmosphere. For me it is Paradise at least so far!

Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am the OP and appreciate all the comments. I so agree with this post. What made the sweat shop government job so stressful was that perfection was the minimum standard. I was "exempt" and it was expected that I put in 50+ hours per week and felt like I was on a choke collar with the General Manager. I was an "outstanding" employee but it was killing my health. Now I work for peanuts for a non-profit and the people are nice to me and I joke in my head, "will work for compliments" as long as the people are nice I am staying. If I ended up with a miserable, demanding boss again I am out of there! Who your boss is determines so much about how happy you are with your job.
It's funny, everyone thinks everyone ELSE'S job is great. We corporate types envied folks with government jobs and guaranteed great pensions. The funniest example of job envy I ever heard was years ago when one of my co-workers always joked that her dream job was working the makeup counter at Bloomingdale's. So I run into an old friend that I hadn't seen in years...ask her what she's doing and she said, no lie, "Working at the makeup counter at Bloomingdale's". I'm like, OMG that's my friend's dream job!!! She says, "I hate it and I'm going to quit...too much stress!".

Grass is always greener!

Old 05-31-2019, 03:12 AM

496 posts, read 552,988 times
And while you were stressing over trying to satisfy the unsatisfiable, didn't you just love all the casual cracks from acquaintances about how "government work is an oxymoron," etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am the OP and appreciate all the comments. I so agree with this post. What made the sweat shop government job so stressful was that perfection was the minimum standard. I was "exempt" and it was expected that I put in 50+ hours per week and felt like I was on a choke collar with the General Manager. I was an "outstanding" employee but it was killing my health. .

Old 05-31-2019, 06:36 AM

57 posts, read 51,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
When I was looking, I looked for old issues of a community newsletter. Often they will be archived online. If you look at a few issues from previous years and it seems like you see a lot of announcements such as "The repair of the tennis courts has been delayed again and is now predicted to take place six months from now" that could be an issue.
Exactly! The sign on the pool just said "Closed for repairs". When I got home I went online and found all of the back newsletter issues from the developer (now no longer available LOL). There were complaints in resident meeting minutes about the pool being out for weeks or months, don't remember which. There were also complaints about other upkeep issues. In researching the developer further I stumbled on court records where quite a few properties were being taken back for fees in arrears. Could be the reason for bad maintenance - not enough money. Who knows. But it was an eye-opener for me.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 AM

421 posts, read 391,025 times
I am very much looking forward to being COMPLETELY retired. Have worked a part-time job for the last eight years which was very pleasant, got me out of the house - kept me involved with younger people and everything that goes along with that. We are moving to a 55+ community. My biggest worry is that my wife is debilitated from cancer and the treatment that goes along with that and isn't able to get out much because of her chronic issues. I am concerned I will feel guilty getting out and doing things when she just isn't up to it. Obviously, I don't want to leave her out of activities but yet she hasn't the stamina, etc. to participate. This is my fear . . .

Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I am very much looking forward to being COMPLETELY retired. Have worked a part-time job for the last eight years which was very pleasant, got me out of the house - kept me involved with younger people and everything that goes along with that. We are moving to a 55+ community. My biggest worry is that my wife is debilitated from cancer and the treatment that goes along with that and isn't able to get out much because of her chronic issues. I am concerned I will feel guilty getting out and doing things when she just isn't up to it. Obviously, I don't want to leave her out of activities but yet she hasn't the stamina, etc. to participate. This is my fear . . .
I do not know your specific issues but it seems to me that you will be in a better position for her to join in if she feels up to it. Everything (or a lot of things) will be right where you live.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:04 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post

Obviously, everyone is different and I can't speak for how your wife might feel. But, FWIW, I'm a cancer patient who had a husband who felt that way. I appreciated the good intentions, but actually I wanted him to continue going bike riding, play pickleball, go out with friends, and otherwise do all the things we used to do together.

Not only did it not bother me, to be honest, sometimes it was nice to get him out of the house. And while I felt very sad that I couldn't do those things for several months, having him not be able to do it either wouldn't have made me feel any better. Instead, I sort of lived vicariously through him. He caught me up on what was new with our friends, and sometimes they would send me little selfies when they were out and about, so I was included (at least, a little).

Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
When I go out painting, my husband go for a walk in the woods. He enjoys a bit of solitude.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
And while you were stressing over trying to satisfy the unsatisfiable, didn't you just love all the casual cracks from acquaintances about how "government work is an oxymoron," etc.?
Yes that was annoying. I just ignored it. I was too busy working 12 hours days at the sweatshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement