Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times

Advertisements

I've been a life long "need/want" person.

I retired in Feb. and was bugged by the 60.00 hair cut for my very short hair. It wasn't even a good cut. I went to a random Hair Cuttery and found a wonderful woman who now cuts my hair exactly the way I want it cut. Just 19.00 plus a nice tip. Much happier and not wasting so much money.

I have a friend who buys hardback books, ONLY. And she buys books a fair amount frequently. Nuts. Suppor your local library!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Yeah. I know book hoarders too. It's a ridiculous expense considering most library systems can get new releases as well.

For years I saw the same hairdresser. LOVED her. Started at 40 for a haircut - and just before I moved out of state - it was $50. I always tipped her because I married a barber and know they deserve more respect than they get.

Fast forward and I live in a much more expensive area of California. Found a hairdresser who cuts my hair for $25. I still tip.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Re: Hair coloring.

Walk into any salon supply store and see that for $20 or less you can buy hair color and processor and even the gloves and tools to do the job.

For me with short hair - it's a no brainer. My former hair stylist charges $80 to do the same.
My husband use to do my hair for me in my previous house, think of Robert Redford and Meryl Steep, scene straight Out of Africa movie, lol. This is a much newer home, I want to keep it clean.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:02 PM

96 posts, read 93,149 times
I have a Flo-Bee and cut my own hair. I haven't paid a barber or hair stylist in years.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:56 PM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
I have a Flo-Bee and cut my own hair. I haven't paid a barber or hair stylist in years.

I have always cut my husband's hair and now I also cut my own. I was taught years ago by my great aunt and she was Good! I don't use a flo-bee, not even sure what that is, I just use scissors and it certainly does save quite a bit of money. I've had friends ask if I'd cut their hair but I make a point not to do others because years ago my great aunt cut a neighbors hair who apparently wasn't satisfied and tried to cause her problems.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I can't remember the last time I bought a full-priced book from a Barnes and Noble or similar. I'll occasionally get something off the iTunes book store. On the rare occasion I get a new book, it's almost always at Sam's or Costco.

I had accumulated hundreds and hundreds of books over the years and purged a lot of them when I moved back from Indiana. I still have several totes of books that I need to go through.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Have you tried franchises such as Great Clips? My hair is the same length all around so they can't mess that up too badly- but my last cut was $17 with tip.

I joke that I spend more on my granddaughter's cuts at Shear Madness.
I take my kids to Great Clips, but as I was growing out my hair I opted to keep going to my regular stylist. This summer I should get my "final" cut to have the last of my layers evened up. At that point I won't need to get haircuts anymore other than cutting my bangs when they get too long. My hair doesn't get split ends, so the need to get it cut will be eliminated for the most part.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
In my area, there’s plenty people who can cut hair for much less than $17, they are not students either. My kids want to pay $50-$60, plus that’s their choice.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
In my area, there’s plenty people who can cut hair for much less than $17, they are not students either. My kids want to pay $50-$60, plus that’s their choice.

One time a fancy salon near me was asking for volunteers so that their head stylist could train new stylists. Yes! Yes! So I got a few free haircuts and stylings. One style I really liked so here I am, still getting my hair cut according to her directions. My hair is wavy and fine and the cut she designed suited it perfectly. Yes, I go one of those cheap places, Great Clips or something, and I just draw a picture of that original style so they can copy it.

It may just be me, but I also think all these manicures and pedicures are a waste of money. If you're going to be on tv or something, okay, but for the everyday person, nope. Waste of money--maybe as a treat, but not on a regular basis.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:16 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
All my fellow workers liked that stuff too plus nice cars and club med
I ate a lot of bean burritos and did quadruple mortgage payments
They are still working 12 years later
Signed
A retiree

Club Med?? I used to go to them and they were a cheap alternative to fancy resorts, and a lot more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement