Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You're the only one commenting in this thread who's attributed some special significance to the specific number she happened to choose.
That's because she used a number. I already stated before...it makes much more sense to say something like "when you get older"...or whatever. Yes - she could choose a different number...but why use one when the number is meaningless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:56 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
MMoB: I provided the shortened version of the link. syracuse.com
Just a point that altho citing the site is good, it doesn't cite to that specific article, whcih I'm guessing was on the front page for that one day. When I went to syracuse.com, the article that had been prominent (I guess) was no longer there. The link provided by the other poster calls up the now week-old article.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:08 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I think part of the problem is that some cruises have become so cheap that people who can't afford to rent an apartment at the beach opt for a cruise instead. Amazing, I know. Apartments at the beach near where I leave rent for around $1500 a week (or rooms at the Quality Inn for $250 a night), whereas a couple can get an interior cabin for $1000, including five-course dinners, buffet breakfasts, hamburgers and pizza for lunch, nightly entertainment, and transport to a variety of ports.

But since these are people on a tight budget, it is unlikely that they would spend $600 ($300 each) for good insurance. That would bring the cost up by more than half.
With all that food and drinking, do most people gain weight on cruises?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Shapiro is a fool to try to stick his insurance company for a ride home on a Learjet. It was completely unnecessary, since he could have been treated in Fort Lauderdale, then continued home to Syracuse on a commercial flight.

(This info is buried in about the 30th paragraph of the article.)

He didn't get away with scamming the insurance company and now he's whining to the media.

Air evac insurance covers your transport to the nearest medical facility that can provide the necessary care. It does not mean that you're taken directly home on a business jet so you can see your own cardiologist and golfing buddy. Even an old Learjet is hugely expensive to operate.

This is a story about a guy who wanted to be part of the 1%, not about cruising.
What passes for "journalism" today is really pathetic. You can't really believe most of what you read in articles since they will almost always have an ax to grind. You just have to be very skeptical.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
With all that food and drinking, do most people gain weight on cruises?
No most people don't gain weight on cruises. If they eat a lot, they might gain a couple pounds temporarily, but most people only cruise for about 7 days. How much weight can a person gain in 7 days? And when you return to your regular mode of eating, it will generally fall right off.

I think many people might be tempted to "pig out" the first few days and then, when the novelty of having delicious food available at all hours wears off, they settle back into a more normal dining routine.

The multi-course dining room dinners also feature pretty tiny portions, although you're not restricted as to how many portions you wish to order.

As far as drinking a lot, many cruise lines force you to either buy a drink package at a cost of about $75/per person, per day of cruising (so that's $500+ extra per person for a 7 day cruise), or to pay $6-10 per drink for alcohol. So unless they have a huge budget, most don't guzzle alcohol.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:34 AM

409 posts, read 872,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
How much weight can a person gain in 7 days?
I'm sorry, when I saw that I heard a voice in my head saying "Challenge accepted!"

Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A week of gluttony and excessive drinking is not my idea of a fun vacation.
Yeah I could do that at home if I wanted to and not pay a dog sitter.

In my mind, a cruise has elements that I don't enjoy- boats, strangers and a party. I think for people who have crowded lives of kids and commitments and stuff, a cruise might well feel ideal.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Good to know. Chase Business Ink doesn’t have Emergency Evacuation/Transportation, but you are still out $590k in this case.

He was fleeced by the air ambulance company, most air evacs cost less than $100k.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
He was fleeced by the air ambulance company, most air evacs cost less than $100k.
Perhaps to Fort Lauderdale, it would have. But he insisted on going home to Syracuse.

There's an additional cost for returning to home base without passengers. "Deadheading" back from Syracuse burns fuel and incurs costs for crew and maintenance.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
As far as drinking a lot, many cruise lines force you to either buy a drink package at a cost of about $75/per person, per day of cruising (so that's $500+ extra per person for a 7 day cruise), or to pay $6-10 per drink for alcohol. So unless they have a huge budget, most don't guzzle alcohol.

The better cruise lines are all-inclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement