Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How do you guys embed the YouTube videos in your posts? I can't figure out how to do that.

Mine don't appear embedded, either. Maybe your own don't appear embedded in your own view. I would prefer that none were ever embedded. Who needs a full screen graphic with every video? And wait for 100 to load on every page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Something He Can Feel - Aretha Franklin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8pY4IFoeU

Was released on the soundtrack album of the movie Sparkle, though Aretha's version was not the one in the film.

And then there was Car Wash....I know, most people said they hated it but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8I5egzoMo

Old 06-06-2019, 04:54 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

And then there was Car Wash....I know, most people said they hated it but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8I5egzoMo

LOL, you know what, "Car Wash" really does remind me of 1976, though. It brings back memories of this one car wash in Hermosa Beach that was actually almost right at the beach. I can remember how they had that place done up for the Bicentennial. Yeah, cheerfully tacky but adorable too (and so is the song, if you think about it, it really does have a "feel" for the lighter sides of that year. Not everything has to be great art.). Back in the 70s Hermosa had things other than just McMansions for multi-millionaires, and personally I think the beach cities were better back in the day. This little car wash was always doing a roaring business, and they always had music on. Man, what a great time to be living there.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-06-2019 at 05:04 AM..

Old 06-06-2019, 05:24 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Ah.....memories of 1976! For me, just moved away from my parents to college hundreds of miles away, and the first weekend there we had a concert by Orleans. Their final song of the evening was....

STILL THE ONE.

(Every time I hear it, I am transported back to that auditorium, sitting with my new college friends, and knowing an exciting new chapter had just opened.)

Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
.... not to mention "Ben" (Boy, there were a lot of love songs about rodents, weren't there?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzorc7teaY
Michael Jackson when he was still Michael!
Big fave of mine. I had the 45 record, still do. I liked the flip side song too.

1976, I was 11, babysitting a 2 year old girl Tina, her mom was pregnant. I watched Tina when her mom had the baby too. Back when 11 year olds were more mature.

Tina was listening to Donny and Marie; they were all the rage due to their TV show. According to Google, the album Tina had was 1976, Donny and Marie songs from their TV show. Album was purple of course (it was Donny's favorite color), had a pic of them dancing on the cover.

I was into Andy Gibb. His death 10+ years later still breaks my heart. I actually dated a guy who looked like Andy's twin. Wish I could recall his name.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:06 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Michael Jackson when he was still Michael!
Big fave of mine. I had the 45 record, still do. I liked the flip side song too.

It is pretty impressive to hear him singing a song like this acapella, and at such a young age. He did have an amazing voice.

For a pop song, it's surprisingly heartfelt.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
1976- we got married in August.
The Bicentennial was playing out. I still remember "And that's the way it was 200 years ago today'.
Favorite music was by Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Jefferson Airplane (Or were they Starship by then?).
We rented an apartment in Chicago for $205. Life was good. We were also so damn young. 20 and 21 and here we are 43 years later still going strong.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:21 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
I don't want to derail, but since a couple others have mentioned concerts....

My first concert was SANTANA in 1974. Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, the entire Abraxas album.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/santana-abraxas/

Carlos might not be in the ranks of Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn, but he was (is) a great guitarist in his own right. I took my little Panasonic cassette recorder and held it up toward the stage the entire night, and got a horribly distorted tape. And I wore a brand new mesh shirt that trapped all the funny smelling smoke coming from older college kids all around me, and never washed out.

TRIVIA: This concert was at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. In the middle of nowhere, perhaps, but famous as the place where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper played, the night they flew off into a snowstorm and crashed, immortalized as "The Day the Music Died."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Ballroom

And now back to your regular programming...

Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
How do you guys embed the YouTube videos in your posts? I can't figure out how to do that.

Quote:
Nope, for some reason, I can't embed videos in my posts. It's never worked for me, just thought there was some magic trick. Maybe it doesn't work on a Mac?
Yes, most likely because you're on a Mac. I couldn't do it either when I used my Mac here. I used to take a quote that had it showing; then remove everything except the you tube code; then would insert the you tube code from what I wanted to post.

Here is the you tube code. I'm going to replace the brackets with these (). It's a lot of work but that's the only way I found to do it.

(youtube)quPoq2699Xo(/youtube)
(URL)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPoq2699Xo(/URL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
The mid-70's was really an inflection point in music. The Beatles broke up and the Rolling Stones couldn't fill the void. You just have to look at the best selling albums of the year -- in the early 70's it was Bridge over troubled waters, and Jesus Christ Superstar and Elton John. In the later part of the decade, we started to hear from Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen.

By the 1990's CD/Album sales would regularly top 7 - 8 million units. Those kinds on sales numbers attracted a lot of over-produced acts with minimal talent -- who could forget those Boy Bands and their choreography.

In the new millennium, recording your music became much easier in the digital world. Artists found they could produce, promote and profit from their songs without everybody in the Recording Industry having a hand in their pockets. Consumers no longer heard a song on the FM Radio and rushed out to the Record Store to buy the entire album. If we heard a single song that we liked....we streamed it, ripped it, or made a cassette copy from a friend. Oh the horrors -- Record Company Moguls starving in the Streets !!
For sure they didn't appreciate that we could record on cassette from an album or 8 track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBeaver View Post
I started college in the fall of 1976. I remember this being blasted in the dorm every day, interspersed with Boz Scaggs and Foghat, and occasionally, Steely Dan.
Yeah, Frampton was pretty hot (on fire even) back then because his guitar used to talk on the song "do you feel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I liked Boz’s LOWDOWN much more than Lido Shuffle.

Other faves from the top 100 hits in 1976:

Gary Wright’s DREAM WEAVER
Dorothy Moore’s MISTY BLUE
England Dan and John Ford Coley’s I’D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT
Hot Chocolate’s YOU SEXY THING
Bellamy Brothers’s LET YOUR LOVE FLOW
Elvin Bishop’s FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE
Orleans’ STILL THE ONE

And those are just from the big hits of the year. It was a great year to be in the targeted age market of pop music, and a great year to remember so many songs for their associations with “firsts”. First time away from home for a long spell (and solo, too), first long-distance bike trip, first boyfriend—and first heartbreak, first job (part-time), first time I felt really full of life.
That's how I feel about being born in 1965. I heard a lot of great music and was an "older" teen during the 80's. I listened to a wide variety of music, Deep Purple, Skynyrd, Hendrix, Janis, Marshall Tucker... Blondie was my number 1. I cringe to think she started the rap music of today with Rapture. Then all sorts of disco to dance roller skate, Sugar Hill Gang, Donna Summer and my favorite, punk rock! I'll never forget dying my hair rainbow in high school with food coloring; no one else ever did it. Boy did I get teased and I didn't care! There was a guy in the hall who just got in trouble in class... He was pissed off until he saw me; then he was laughing his butt off! Great times!

B52's, Ramones, Nervous Rex...

Then into "hair metal"... Motley Crue, Poison, Guns and Roses.

Going out dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Mine don't appear embedded, either. Maybe your own don't appear embedded in your own view. I would prefer that none were ever embedded. Who needs a full screen graphic with every video? And wait for 100 to load on every page.
I have 40 posts per page showing. My page 2 of this thread keeps freezing my browser. I had to reboot my browser 5 times in order to get thru the whole page.

Quote:
LOL, you know what, "Car Wash" really does remind me of 1976, though. It brings back memories of this one car wash in Hermosa Beach that was actually almost right at the beach. I can remember how they had that place done up for the Bicentennial. Yeah, cheerfully tacky but adorable too (and so is the song, if you think about it, it really does have a "feel" for the lighter sides of that year. Not everything has to be great art.). Back in the 70s Hermosa had things other than just McMansions for multi-millionaires, and personally I think the beach cities were better back in the day. This little car wash was always doing a roaring business, and they always had music on. Man, what a great time to be living there.
Everywhere I went people were playing the song over and over. It was really popular.

Quote:
It is pretty impressive to hear him singing a song like this acapella, and at such a young age. He did have an amazing voice.

For a pop song, it's surprisingly heartfelt.
Googled the 45, it was Ben / You Can Cry On My Shoulder. Shocked I still remember all the words! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91z_4tVqf0

Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
...The Bicentennial was playing out. I still remember "And that's the way it was 200 years ago today'. Favorite music was by Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Jefferson Airplane (Or were they Starship by then?).
"Paul Kantner & Jefferson Starship" was first referenced in the credits for a concept album in 1970, when Airplane was on break. Then they became "official" in 1974.

I forgot to include them when listing the music in our first year dorm, 1975-76. "MIRACLES" from the Red Octopus album went to #3 on the charts, and played continuously from one of the rooms on our floor (the other side of hall from The Spinners!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8izf-oXY4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement